[MediaWiki-l] Spammed wiki fast rescue service

[MediaWiki-l] Spammed wiki fast rescue service

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Today I found out that a wiki I like (but I don't edit) had started
being spammed, from its WikiApiary page: the exponential growth of
registered users, but not of active users, was suspect; a look to
RecentChanges immediately confirmed that a couple days ago (one) captcha
on signup was probably won by the spambots.
        For those who do MediaWiki consultancy or would like to start, I think
there is an opportunity. Few wiki sysadmins go ask help, but putting
together some select metrics you could create a page on WikiApiary
reporting the wikis whose parameters recently got unhealthy: then go
offer an audit and improvement of their antispam setup, before it gets
so spammed as to require disinfestation (cleanup) services.
        Just an idea I throw to get it out my mind, ;-)
                Nemo

Re: Spammed wiki fast rescue service

YiFei

> the exponential growth of registered users, but not of active users, was
> suspect

Just a side note: the spammer's edits are blocked by Abuse Filters (such as
ntsamr); they fail to make edits to become active users.