[MediaWiki-l] Stopping Users from Creating Account

[MediaWiki-l] Stopping Users from Creating Account

Tom Hutchison
Hi all

Perhaps I am missing it, but is there anyway to stop users from using the
"create2" function and only allow sysops and * to create a user accounts. I
am not talking about "create" or "createaccount" as a permission. What I
don't want is existing logged in users to go to Special:Createaccount and
create another account.

Thanks

Tom

Re: Stopping Users from Creating Account

Brian Wolff
That is exactly what the createaccount permission is. Do something like (i
havent tested this and im a little rusty on the autopromote syntax):

$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = true;
$wgRevokePermissions['usernotadmin']['createaccount'] = true;
$wgAutopromote = [
 'usernotadmin' =>
    [ '&', [ APCOND_INGROUPS, 'user' ], [ '!', [ APCOND_INGROUPS, 'sysop'
]]]
];

--
Brian

On Friday, July 7, 2017, Tom Hutchison <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all
>

> Perhaps I am missing it, but is there anyway to stop users from using the
> "create2" function and only allow sysops and * to create a user accounts.

> am not talking about "create" or "createaccount" as a permission. What I
> don't want is existing logged in users to go to Special:Createaccount and
> create another account.
>

> Thanks
>
> Tom

Re: Stopping Users from Creating Account

Tom Hutchison
Ah, cool that gives me a direction to go in. I'll work up something and test it, then update the docs because it is not clear on how to achieve this.
Thanks Brian!

Tom