[MediaWiki-l] Suggestion: a proper catalog for extensions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[MediaWiki-l] Suggestion: a proper catalog for extensions

Quim Gil-2
Hi, this is a heads up about this suggestion:

A proper catalog for extensions
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=46704

We want to know whether this could become a good candidate for the
Outreach Program for Women:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Outreach_Program_for_Women

Feedback welcome (especially in the bug report). All the better if
someone wants to step in as potential mentor for this project.

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suggestion: a proper catalog for extensions

Brion Vibber
I would *really* love if this could be implemented with an eye towards
providing machine-readable search. Even if that's not the initial step, we
should eventually be able to have an administrator console special page on
the wiki that gets you into that portal and automates installation...

Collecting ideas from prior discussions and prepping up a plan would
definitely be a good intern-ish task, and that can scale out to
implementation depending on what details we choose to go with.

-- brion


On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 1:27 PM, Quim Gil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, this is a heads up about this suggestion:
>
> A proper catalog for extensions
> https://bugzilla.wikimedia.**org/show_bug.cgi?id=46704<https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=46704>
>
> We want to know whether this could become a good candidate for the
> Outreach Program for Women:
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/**wiki/Outreach_Program_for_**Women<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Outreach_Program_for_Women>
>
> Feedback welcome (especially in the bug report). All the better if someone
> wants to step in as potential mentor for this project.
>
> --
> Quim Gil
> Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/**User:Qgil<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil>
>
> ______________________________**_________________
> MediaWiki-l mailing list
> [hidden email].**org <[hidden email]>
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/**mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l>
>
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suggestion: a proper catalog for extensions

Yury Katkov
In reply to this post by Quim Gil-2
God yes!!!

Now the catalog of extensions is total... wiki. I think that creation of
such catalog is not only programming task but also some changes related to
the actual process of publishing, documenting and quality assurance of the
extensions. The first things that come to my mind:
1) install semantic extensions so that it would be possible to search
through extensions by various parameters (smth like that but better:
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/advanced-search)
2) allow users to rate the extensions and provide some analytics, filtering
and sorting based on that (for example showing the best rated)
3) add the information about what's happenning with the code of the
extension to its page. This will allow to search recently changed
extensions and quickly see those which have been abandonned.

I think that this task is very important and maybw the first step will be
to find other software that has good extension catalog and learn from them.


-----
Yury Katkov, WikiVote



On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 12:27 AM, Quim Gil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, this is a heads up about this suggestion:
>
> A proper catalog for extensions
> https://bugzilla.wikimedia.**org/show_bug.cgi?id=46704<https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=46704>
>
> We want to know whether this could become a good candidate for the
> Outreach Program for Women:
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/**wiki/Outreach_Program_for_**Women<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Outreach_Program_for_Women>
>
> Feedback welcome (especially in the bug report). All the better if someone
> wants to step in as potential mentor for this project.
>
> --
> Quim Gil
> Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/**User:Qgil<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil>
>
> ______________________________**_________________
> MediaWiki-l mailing list
> [hidden email].**org <[hidden email]>
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/**mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l>
>
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suggestion: a proper catalog for extensions

Quim Gil-2
On 03/29/2013 10:18 PM, Yury Katkov wrote:
> I think that this task is very important and maybw the first step will be
> to find other software that has good extension catalog and learn from them.

Well, if you want an intern working on this during 3 months then the
first step is actually:

> On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 12:27 AM, Quim Gil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> All the better if someone
>> wants to step in as potential mentor for this project.

Anybody?

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suggestion: a proper catalog for extensions

Yury Katkov
I've never tried to participate in such programs, but I think I'm competent
enough to apply as a mentor.
In short, I'd love to help.
-----
Yury Katkov, WikiVote



On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 8:14 AM, Quim Gil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/29/2013 10:18 PM, Yury Katkov wrote:
>
>> I think that this task is very important and maybw the first step will be
>> to find other software that has good extension catalog and learn from
>> them.
>>
>
> Well, if you want an intern working on this during 3 months then the first
> step is actually:
>
>  On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 12:27 AM, Quim Gil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> All the better if someone
>>> wants to step in as potential mentor for this project.
>>>
>>
> Anybody?
>
>
> --
> Quim Gil
> Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/**User:Qgil<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil>
>
> ______________________________**_________________
> MediaWiki-l mailing list
> [hidden email].**org <[hidden email]>
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/**mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l>
>
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suggestion: a proper catalog for extensions

Quim Gil-2
On 04/02/2013 06:52 AM, Yury Katkov wrote:
> I've never tried to participate in such programs, but I think I'm competent
> enough to apply as a mentor.
> In short, I'd love to help.

Thank you! The project is now featured for Outreach Program for Women:

Research & propose a catalog of extensions
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mentorship_programs/Possible_projects#Research_.26_propose_a_catalog_of_extensions

Feel free improving the entry.

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l