[MediaWiki-l] Tapping into the Backbone

Fred Bauder-2
"The GCHQ mass tapping operation has been built up over five years by
attaching intercept probes to transatlantic fibre-optic cables where they
land on British shores carrying data to western Europe from telephone
exchanges and internet servers in north America.

This was done under secret agreements with commercial companies,
described in one document as "intercept partners"."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jun/21/gchq-cables-secret-world-communications-nsa

Fred

Re: Tapping into the Backbone

Al Johnson
Someone said a long time ago, I think from EFF, that the problem will not be Big Brother, but all of the Little Brothers.

Re: Tapping into the Backbone

Fred Bauder-2
> Someone said a long time ago, I think from EFF, that the problem will
not be Big Brother, but all of the Little Brothers.

Hey! That's us!

Fred

Re: Tapping into the Backbone

Huib Laurens

I'm not sure why this is posted on the mediawiki list? It seems to be
complete offtopic like lot of other topics from your side lately

On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]>wrote:

> "The GCHQ mass tapping operation has been built up over five years by
> attaching intercept probes to transatlantic fibre-optic cables where they
> land on British shores carrying data to western Europe from telephone
> exchanges and internet servers in north America.
>
> This was done under secret agreements with commercial companies,
> described in one document as "intercept partners"."
>

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jun/21/gchq-cables-secret-world-communications-nsa
>
> Fred

Met vriendelijke groet,

Huib Laurens

Re: Tapping into the Backbone

Stephen Villano
While re-hearing the news because some may have missed it may be a laudable goal, it is a bit amiss here on this mailing list.
This list is listed as intended as a help/support list for those running/configuring MediaWiki. It also provides announcements of new versions, bug fixes and security issues.

Hence, your news is beyond the topic scope of this list and far more appropriate for a personal blog and perhaps, other lists devoted to the spreading of news.
Now, if you have news that the NSA or GCHQ has exploited a security flaw in MediaWiki, that would most certainly be on topic for this mailing list and would be greatly appreciated.

On Jun 22, 2013, at 6:59 AM, Fred Bauder wrote:

> "The GCHQ mass tapping operation has been built up over five years by
> attaching intercept probes to transatlantic fibre-optic cables where they
> land on British shores carrying data to western Europe from telephone
> exchanges and internet servers in north America.
>
> This was done under secret agreements with commercial companies,
> described in one document as "intercept partners"."
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jun/21/gchq-cables-secret-world-communications-nsa
>
> Fred

Re: Tapping into the Backbone

Magnus Manske-2
Or if they managed to uncover the Wikimedia Secret Cabal(tm)!

On Jun 22, 2013, at 10:40 AM, Magnus Manske wrote:

> Or if they managed to uncover the Wikimedia Secret Cabal(tm)!

Ah! So true. However, the majority of the world refer to them under their proper title: Developers.

> On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Stephen Villano <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> While re-hearing the news because some may have missed it may be a
>> laudable goal, it is a bit amiss here on this mailing list.
>> This list is listed as intended as a help/support list for those
>> running/configuring MediaWiki. It also provides announcements of new
>> versions, bug fixes and security issues.
>>
>> Hence, your news is beyond the topic scope of this list and far more
>> appropriate for a personal blog and perhaps, other lists devoted to the
>> spreading of news.
>> Now, if you have news that the NSA or GCHQ has exploited a security flaw
>> in MediaWiki, that would most certainly be on topic for this mailing list
>> and would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> On Jun 22, 2013, at 6:59 AM, Fred Bauder wrote:
>>
>>> "The GCHQ mass tapping operation has been built up over five years by
>>> attaching intercept probes to transatlantic fibre-optic cables where they
>>> land on British shores carrying data to western Europe from telephone
>>> exchanges and internet servers in north America.
>>>
>>> This was done under secret agreements with commercial companies,
>>> described in one document as "intercept partners"."
>>>

>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jun/21/gchq-cables-secret-world-communications-nsa
>>>
>>> Fred

Re: Tapping into the Backbone

Daniel Friesen-2
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 07:27:42 -0700, Stephen Villano
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now, if you have news that the NSA or GCHQ has exploited a security flaw
> in MediaWiki, that would most certainly be on topic for this mailing
> list and would be greatly appreciated.

Actually it would still be off topic. Since it would be better suited for
wikitech-l where people who can actually fix the security flaw subscribe.
Better yet actually, since it would be a security issue
[hidden email] or the Security project in bugzilla.

Re: Tapping into the Backbone

Stephen Villano
Thanks for the addition. You are quite correct.
Didn't know of the [hidden email]. I'll note it in case I bump into something in the future.

On Jun 22, 2013, at 12:23 PM, Daniel Friesen wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 07:27:42 -0700, Stephen Villano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Now, if you have news that the NSA or GCHQ has exploited a security flaw in MediaWiki, that would most certainly be on topic for this mailing list and would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Actually it would still be off topic. Since it would be better suited for wikitech-l where people who can actually fix the security flaw subscribe. Better yet actually, since it would be a security issue [hidden email] or the Security project in bugzilla.
>
> --
> ~Daniel Friesen (Dantman, Nadir-Seen-Fire) [http://danielfriesen.name/]

Re: Tapping into the Backbone

Al Johnson
Doh!  I meant to reply privately.

Someone said a long time ago, I think from EFF, that the problem will not be Big Brother, but all of the Little Brothers.

[MediaWiki-l] How to Control Thumbnail Image Path/URL for File: Wiki Markup - Amazon S3 and Heroku Issues

Mike Papper
Hi, we have a fairly large MediaWiki install and I've been porting it to run on Heroku. Part of this has been upgrading from 1.13 to 1.20 and moving images from the on-disk /images directory to S3 (the move to use S3 is required because Heroku doesn't support a filesystem).

We are using LocalS3Repo extension (modified). Running on Heroku…

When I upload a file it only puts the file on S3. It does not put the file in a /thumb/ directory. This seems to be a fact of life right now. But the WIKI will generate URLs for images as-if the thumbnail image was also uploaded...

For example: if I upload a file called "test_upload1.jpg" I see this file on S3:

        http://s3.amazonaws.com/[BUCKET]/images/a/a7/Test_upload1.jpg

Which works with this Wiki Markup:

                [[File:test-upload1.jpg]]

But if I use the following Wiki Markup:

        [[File:test-upload1.jpg|50px]]

the URL for that IMG tag is :

        http://s3.amazonaws.com/[BUCKET]/images/thumb/a/a7/Test_upload1.jpg/50px-Test_upload1.jpg

This wont work with my system because the thumbnail isn't generated.

-----------------
How do I make the Wiki just always use the SAME URL:

                http://s3.amazonaws.com/[BUCKET]/images/a/a7/Test_upload1.jpg

no matter what size is specified in the File: wiki markup? (I know the IMG tag's <width> and <height> will resizes it anyway). I know its performance hit.

-----------------
Please note: I dont care that this is wrong, the LocalS3Repo extension is horrible and I dont want to spend any more time combing through 1000s of lines of code to fix this, I just want images to work.

And also please note: On Heroku the file upload process seems to NOT be able to upload the thumb file (like cause were running multiple dynos/servers and the request for generating the thumbnail ends up on a machine that does not have the image file Or maybe some other reason. Either way, thumbnail generation is not going to work?? on a multiple-server setup.

Any pointers appreciated. But a pointer tot he code that decides on the URL based on the File name would bne great.

--
Mike Papper

Re: How to Control Thumbnail Image Path/URL for File: Wiki Markup - Amazon S3 and Heroku Issues

Benjamin Lees
Set $wgUseImageResize = false; or adjust $wgThumbnailScriptPath.

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 2:18 AM, Mike Papper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, we have a fairly large MediaWiki install and I've been porting it to
> run on Heroku. Part of this has been upgrading from 1.13 to 1.20 and moving
> images from the on-disk /images directory to S3 (the move to use S3 is
> required because Heroku doesn't support a filesystem).
>
> We are using LocalS3Repo extension (modified). Running on Heroku…
>
> When I upload a file it only puts the file on S3. It does not put the file
> in a /thumb/ directory. This seems to be a fact of life right now. But the
> WIKI will generate URLs for images as-if the thumbnail image was also
> uploaded...
>
> For example: if I upload a file called "test_upload1.jpg" I see this file
> on S3:
>
>         http://s3.amazonaws.com/[BUCKET]/images/a/a7/Test_upload1.jpg
>
> Which works with this Wiki Markup:
>
>                 [[File:test-upload1.jpg]]
>
> But if I use the following Wiki Markup:
>
>         [[File:test-upload1.jpg|50px]]
>
> the URL for that IMG tag is :
>

> http://s3.amazonaws.com/[BUCKET]/images/thumb/a/a7/Test_upload1.jpg/50px-Test_upload1.jpg
>
> This wont work with my system because the thumbnail isn't generated.
>
> -----------------
> How do I make the Wiki just always use the SAME URL:
>

> http://s3.amazonaws.com/[BUCKET]/images/a/a7/Test_upload1.jpg
>
> no matter what size is specified in the File: wiki markup? (I know the IMG
> tag's <width> and <height> will resizes it anyway). I know its performance
> hit.
>

> -----------------
> Please note: I dont care that this is wrong, the LocalS3Repo extension is
> horrible and I dont want to spend any more time combing through 1000s of
> lines of code to fix this, I just want images to work.
>
> And also please note: On Heroku the file upload process seems to NOT be
> able to upload the thumb file (like cause were running multiple
> dynos/servers and the request for generating the thumbnail ends up on a
> machine that does not have the image file Or maybe some other reason.
> Either way, thumbnail generation is not going to work?? on a
> multiple-server setup.
>
> Any pointers appreciated. But a pointer tot he code that decides on the
> URL based on the File name would bne great.
>
> --
> Mike Papper

Re: Upload after Duplicate Warning Causes Exception

Mike Papper
Hi, we have a fairly large MediaWiki install and I've been porting it to
run on Heroku. Part of this has been upgrading from 1.13 to 1.20 and moving
images from the on-disk /images directory to S3 (the move to use S3 is
required because Heroku doesn't support a filesystem).

We are using LocalS3Repo extension (modified). Running on Heroku…

When we upload a duplicate image, we get the familiar "warning this file is a duplicate of…". From this point if you select "proceed anyway/ignore warning" it will upload and then crash. The crash looks like the S3 plugin is calling the File class to get the image properties (and the image/file does not exist on disk).

However, if I upload a duplicate image and pre-check "ignore warnings" it will upload without nay problems.

Example: I upload the same image on http://localhost/page/File:Upload_test_1.jpg and http://localhost/page/File:Upload_test_2.jpg and on the second upload it displays:
        This file is a duplicate of the following file:

I proceed and click "ignore warning and priced anyway" and then see this in the log file:

-----------------------------------
Start request POST /page/Special:Upload
HTTP HEADERS:
HOST: wiki.local.developerforce.com
USER-AGENT: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.8; rv:21.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/21.0
ACCEPT: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
ACCEPT-LANGUAGE: en
ACCEPT-ENCODING: gzip, deflate
REFERER: http://wiki.local.developerforce.com/page/Special:Upload
COOKIE: webact=%7B%22l_vdays%22%3A6%2C%22l_visit%22%3A1372115043125%2C%22session%22%3A1372310771883%2C%22l_search%22%3A%22%22%2C%22l_dtype%22%3A%22Typed%2FBookmarked%22%2C%22l_page%22%3A%22%2Fpage%2FSpecial%3AUpload%22%2C%22counter%22%3A9%2C%22pv%22%3A7%2C%22f_visit%22%3A1370479963111%2C%22version%22%3A%22w172.1%22%2C%22d%22%3A%2270130000000sUVq%22%7D; s_pers=%20s_fid%3D05BD9FD26E55AB08-36F45099D0331CB6%7C1435382812060%3B; __utma=173299382.1439959353.1371721608.1371845109.1371850431.4; __utmz=173299382.1371721608.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none); __utma=196062250.745314347.1370479963.1372111246.1372310661.10; __utmz=196062250.1370479963.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none); __utmv=196062250.|1=Member=Yes=1; dfc_wiki_local_en_dfc_wiki_UserName=Mike+papperas; dfc_wiki_local_en_dfc_wiki_Email=bodaro%40gmail.com; __utmv=173299382.|1=Member=Yes=1; dfc_wiki_local_dfc_wiki_UserName=Root+user; dfc_wiki_local_dfc_wiki_Email=root%40developerforce.com; dfc_auth_production=ncc%3DQspFvgr%26rai%3Dcebqhpgvba%26ffb_vq%3D733%26ffb_cebivqre%3Dqsp_fvgr_cebqhpgvba%26hfre_rznvy%3Dzcnccre%40fnyrfsbepr.pbz%26hfre_svefg_anzr%3DZvxr%26hfre_ynfg_anzr%3DCnccre%26hfre_ebyrf%3Dnqzva%2Cpbagrag%2Cqnfuobneq%2Cjnyy_nqzva%2Cjnyy_ivrjre%2Cjnyy_zbqrengbe%2Cfsqprzcyblrr%26gf%3D1372300588%269on5no07977867n5887q9rn327n4024p3qs8n291; dfc_wiki_local_dfc_wiki__session=8a6b74f991c7c948e7a390e024a2740e; dfc_wiki_local_dfc_wiki_LoggedOut=20130627052411; dfc_wiki_local_dfc_wiki_UserID=102732; dfc_wiki_local_dfc_wiki_Token=a4aea494bd378c44dd1a295689eee8b3; s_sess=%20s_ppv_x%3D%3B%20v0%3DTyped%252FBookmarked%3B%20c24%3DTyped%252FBookmarked%3B%20s_cc%3Dtrue%3B%20s_ppv%3D100%257C38%3B%20s_sq%3Dsalesforceadnrollup2%253D%252526pid%25253D%2525252Fpage%2525252FSpecial%2525253AUpload%252526pidt%25253D1%252526oid%25253DIgnore%25252520warning%25252520and%25252520save%25252520file%25252520anyway%252526oidt%25253D3%252526ot%25253DSUBMIT%3B; __utmb=196062250.30.8.1372310778572; __utmc=196062250
CONNECTION: keep-alive
CONTENT-TYPE: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
CONTENT-LENGTH: 277
CACHES: EmptyBagOStuff[main] SqlBagOStuff[message] SqlBagOStuff[parser]
session_set_cookie_params: "0", "/", "", "", "1"
LocalisationCache: using store LCStore_CDB
Unstubbing $wgParser on call of $wgParser::setHook from wfYouTube
Parser: using preprocessor: Preprocessor_DOM
User: cache miss for user 102732
Connecting to localhost dfc_wiki_local...
Profiler::instance called without $wgProfiler['class'] set, falling back to ProfilerStub for safety
Connected to localhost dfc_wiki_local.
User: loading options for user 102732 from database.
User: logged in from session
User: cache miss for user 102732
User: loading options for user 102732 from database.
User: logged in from session
Fully initialised
User: loading options for user 102732 from override cache.
Connecting to localhost dfc_wiki_local...
Connected to localhost dfc_wiki_local.
MessageCache::load: Loading en... got from global cache
Unstubbing $wgLang on call of $wgLang::_unstub from ParserOptions::__construct
User::getBlockedStatus: checking...
UploadBase::createFromRequest: class name: UploadFromStash
UploadFromStash::__construct creating new UploadStash instance with no user
File::getPropsFromPath: Getting file info for en/images/temp/b/bf/20130627052607!phpQGkrFq.png
Use of File::getPropsFromPath was deprecated in MediaWiki 1.19. [Called from FSs3Repo::getFileProps in /Users/mpapper/work/devforce/dfc-wiki/extensions/LocalS3Repo/FSs3Repo.php at line 661]
FSFile::getProps: Getting file info for en/images/temp/b/bf/20130627052607!phpQGkrFq.png
FSFile::getProps: en/images/temp/b/bf/20130627052607!phpQGkrFq.png NOT FOUND!
File::getPropsFromPath: Getting file info for en/images/temp/b/bf/20130627052607!phpQGkrFq.png
FSFile::getProps: Getting file info for en/images/temp/b/bf/20130627052607!phpQGkrFq.png
FSFile::getProps: en/images/temp/b/bf/20130627052607!phpQGkrFq.png NOT FOUND!
^@
I also see the PHP Error:

PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function bind() on a non-object in /Users/mpapper/work/devforce/dfc-wiki/includes/upload/UploadBase.php on line 247, referer: http://wiki.local.developerforce.com/page/Special:Upload

That line is this function:

        /**
         * @param $srcPath String: the source path
         * @return string the real path if it was a virtual URL
         */
        function getRealPath( $srcPath ) {
                wfProfileIn( __METHOD__ );
                $repo = RepoGroup::singleton()->getLocalRepo();
                if ( $repo->isVirtualUrl( $srcPath ) ) {
                        // @TODO: just make uploads work with storage paths
                        // UploadFromStash loads files via virtuals URLs
                        $tmpFile = $repo->getLocalCopy( $srcPath );
                        $tmpFile->bind( $this ); // keep alive with $thumb   <======== ERROR LINE 247
                        wfProfileOut( __METHOD__ );
                        return $tmpFile->getPath();
                }
                wfProfileOut( __METHOD__ );
                return $srcPath;
        }

Question: how can I make it not crash or perhaps just always upload and ignore warnings (I would like to avoid hacking the core MediaWiki code).

Mike Papper