[MediaWiki-l] Thanks to the devs for a ridiculously simple upgrade

[MediaWiki-l] Thanks to the devs for a ridiculously simple upgrade

David Gerard-2
Upgrading work wikis from 1.19 to 1.23 with slight trepidation. It
went like this:

* Back up htdocs and database, unzip tarball into place
* php maintenance/update.php
* and you're done.

My goodness that was simple. Thank you for something that Just Works that well!

- d.

Re: Thanks to the devs for a ridiculously simple upgrade

Emmanuel Engelhart-5
On 08.05.2015 14:19, David Gerard wrote:
> Upgrading work wikis from 1.19 to 1.23 with slight trepidation. It
> went like this:
>
> * Back up htdocs and database, unzip tarball into place
> * php maintenance/update.php
> * and you're done.
>
> My goodness that was simple. Thank you for something that Just Works that well!

Yes, this is something which deserves a praise.

A few weeks ago, I have updated a Mediawiki which was 10 years old (I
don't remember the version number, but it was an outrageously old code
base)... and the update process, except a few details related to MySQL
SQL syntax, ran absolutely smoothly.

Emmanuel
--
Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline & more