[MediaWiki-l] Upload Visio Diagrams to MediaWiki

[MediaWiki-l] Upload Visio Diagrams to MediaWiki

Vinodini Arya
Hi,

Need help regarding uploading images.

Currently, to upload Visio diagrams - we are taking photo of the flow
diagram and uploading the picture.

Is there any direct way/ efficient way to upload MS visio files to Media
wiki.

Appreciate your help.

Thank you,
Vinodini Arya

Re: Upload Visio Diagrams to MediaWiki

Stip

Re: Upload Visio Diagrams to MediaWiki

Larry Silverman
Vinodini,

It might help if you could provide more details about what you hope to see
upon uploading the Visio diagrams.

If you follow Stip's advice, you will be able to upload files with the
Visio file extension to the wiki, but they will just be like any other kind
of document file. They will not render in the web page.

If you're looking to get Mediawiki to render a Visio in the web page, well,
that's not going to happen with regular Mediawiki. Visio stores its data in
either a binary file or a complex XML structure. Mediawiki cannot Visio
natively.

I'd start searching for Extensions that could help solve parts of the
problem, but I don't recall ever seeing any in this vein.

I've seen some Extensions that can embed a PDF inline, and some that could
do a SVG, but they depend on the browser's ability to natively render those
formats.

Larry Silverman
Chief Technology Officer
TrackAbout, Inc.

Re: Upload Visio Diagrams to MediaWiki

Vinodini Arya
Hi,

Sorry i missed this message.

Current permitted file types in our corporation are :
png/gif/jpeg/tiff/psd/pdf.

Our team was wondering is there a way to upload visio - Container diagram
for example that are developed in MSVisio, be uploaded directly to wiki.

Currently, we are taking jpeg image of the visio file and uploading it in
our wiki pages.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Vinodini A

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 5:39 PM, Larry Silverman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Vinodini,
>
> It might help if you could provide more details about what you hope to see
> upon uploading the Visio diagrams.
>
> If you follow Stip's advice, you will be able to upload files with the
> Visio file extension to the wiki, but they will just be like any other kind
> of document file. They will not render in the web page.
>
> If you're looking to get Mediawiki to render a Visio in the web page, well,
> that's not going to happen with regular Mediawiki. Visio stores its data in
> either a binary file or a complex XML structure. Mediawiki cannot Visio
> natively.
>
> I'd start searching for Extensions that could help solve parts of the
> problem, but I don't recall ever seeing any in this vein.
>
> I've seen some Extensions that can embed a PDF inline, and some that could
> do a SVG, but they depend on the browser's ability to natively render those
> formats.
>
> Larry Silverman
> Chief Technology Officer
> TrackAbout, Inc.

Re: Upload Visio Diagrams to MediaWiki

Bryan Davis
On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 4:45 PM, Vinodini Arya <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry i missed this message.
>
> Current permitted file types in our corporation are :
> png/gif/jpeg/tiff/psd/pdf.
>
> Our team was wondering is there a way to upload visio - Container diagram
> for example that are developed in MSVisio, be uploaded directly to wiki.
>
> Currently, we are taking jpeg image of the visio file and uploading it in
> our wiki pages.

There won't be any support for thumbnailing, but you can whitelist
.vsd, .vss, etc in your LocalSettings.php file [0]:

    $wgFileExtensions[] = 'vsd';
    $wgFileExtensions[] = 'vss';

[0]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Configuring_file_uploads#Configuring_file_types

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <[hidden email]>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA