[MediaWiki-l] Using mediawiki from within the Social networks?

[MediaWiki-l] Using mediawiki from within the Social networks?

Yury Katkov
Hi everyone!

Is it possible to use MediaWiki as a service whereas the UI is located
on a Facebook app? So all the editing and viewing is take place on a
Facebook and MediaWiki provide the storage, revision control and lots
of extensions?
-----
Yury Katkov

Re: [Wikitech-l] Using mediawiki from within the Social networks?

Chris Steipp
It's possible, but it would be a little ugly. You could write a web
frontend to what would basically be a proxy handling the work on the
backend over the api. However, there is no secure way for a user to
login through something like that, so all of the edits would have to
come from your app and not the user. Alternatively, you could write a
javascript (or flash) application, and get it approved to make
CORS/crossdomain requests to the target MediaWiki api, so the user
would be making api calls directly. Getting the wiki admin to approve
domains, or add a crossdomain.xml file may or may not be a problem for
you.

OAuth will make the delegated authorization easier, but unfortunately
the priority for getting OAuth integrated with MediaWiki is lower than
some other critical projects right now, so it will be a few months
before this is possible.

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Yury Katkov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> Is it possible to use MediaWiki as a service whereas the UI is located
> on a Facebook app? So all the editing and viewing is take place on a
> Facebook and MediaWiki provide the storage, revision control and lots
> of extensions?
> -----
> Yury Katkov

Re: [Wikitech-l] Using mediawiki from within the Social networks?

Yury Katkov
Yes, that's a good example of how to be closer to people. However I
think that the MediaWiki social network client can be use in case of
really big crowdsourcing projects where we want to grasp a large
amount of people. Most of the Russian internet users sitting in vk.com
social network all the time.
-----
Yury Katkov

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 12:23 AM, Mike  Dupont
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> have you seen the customization that wikia.com has done? it is a step
> in the right direction for social integration.
>
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 8:24 PM, Chris Steipp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It's possible, but it would be a little ugly. You could write a web
>> frontend to what would basically be a proxy handling the work on the
>> backend over the api. However, there is no secure way for a user to
>> login through something like that, so all of the edits would have to
>> come from your app and not the user. Alternatively, you could write a
>> javascript (or flash) application, and get it approved to make
>> CORS/crossdomain requests to the target MediaWiki api, so the user
>> would be making api calls directly. Getting the wiki admin to approve
>> domains, or add a crossdomain.xml file may or may not be a problem for
>> you.
>>
>> OAuth will make the delegated authorization easier, but unfortunately
>> the priority for getting OAuth integrated with MediaWiki is lower than
>> some other critical projects right now, so it will be a few months
>> before this is possible.
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Yury Katkov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi everyone!
>>>
>>> Is it possible to use MediaWiki as a service whereas the UI is located
>>> on a Facebook app? So all the editing and viewing is take place on a
>>> Facebook and MediaWiki provide the storage, revision control and lots
>>> of extensions?
>>> -----
>>> Yury Katkov

> James Michael DuPont
> Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://flossk.org
> Saving wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
> Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
> Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3
> Free Software Foundation Europe Fellow http://fsfe.org/support/?h4ck3rm1k3

Re: [Wikitech-l] Using mediawiki from within the Social networks?

Mike DuPont
On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:37 PM, Yury Katkov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> MediaWiki social network client
tell me more, links?

--
James Michael DuPont
Saving wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3
Free Software Foundation Europe Fellow http://fsfe.org/support/?h4ck3rm1k3

Re: [Wikitech-l] Using mediawiki from within the Social networks?

Yury Katkov
There is no such client to the best of my knowledge. But here I don't
think much about the big-text-projects like wikipedia: more about the
projects where users need to
-  vote for the articles or
- add really small fragments of text
- or link page together via Semantic MediaWiki properties or
- categorize and tagged the articles...
 these are all very small activities. The idea is that those
activities can be shown in the social network MW-client in the most
easy-to-consume way to the very broad audience. Or maybe they can be
even gamified!
-----
Yury Katkov

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 1:02 AM, Mike  Dupont
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:37 PM, Yury Katkov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> MediaWiki social network client
> tell me more, links?
>

> --
> James Michael DuPont
> Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://flossk.org
> Saving wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
> Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
> Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3
> Free Software Foundation Europe Fellow http://fsfe.org/support/?h4ck3rm1k3

Re: [Wikitech-l] Using mediawiki from within the Social networks?

Mike DuPont
Yuri,
I agree with you 100% this is a good idea and would help out alot. I
have also had similar ideas!
mike

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:09 PM, Yury Katkov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is no such client to the best of my knowledge. But here I don't
> think much about the big-text-projects like wikipedia: more about the
> projects where users need to
> -  vote for the articles or
> - add really small fragments of text
> - or link page together via Semantic MediaWiki properties or
> - categorize and tagged the articles...
>  these are all very small activities. The idea is that those
> activities can be shown in the social network MW-client in the most
> easy-to-consume way to the very broad audience. Or maybe they can be
> even gamified!
> -----
> Yury Katkov
>

> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 1:02 AM, Mike  Dupont
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:37 PM, Yury Katkov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> MediaWiki social network client
>> tell me more, links?
>>

>> --
>> James Michael DuPont
>> Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://flossk.org
>> Saving wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
>> Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
>> Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3
>> Free Software Foundation Europe Fellow http://fsfe.org/support/?h4ck3rm1k3

James Michael DuPont
Saving wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3
Free Software Foundation Europe Fellow http://fsfe.org/support/?h4ck3rm1k3

Re: [Wikitech-l] Using mediawiki from within the Social networks?

Yury Katkov
Maybe we can brainstorm this idea a little bit together? I have
several crowdsourcing projects and I always suspect that the pure wiki
editing requires too much motivation and it's not the best approach in
many cases.
-----
Yury Katkov

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 1:16 AM, Mike  Dupont
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yuri,
> I agree with you 100% this is a good idea and would help out alot. I
> have also had similar ideas!
> mike
>
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:09 PM, Yury Katkov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> There is no such client to the best of my knowledge. But here I don't
>> think much about the big-text-projects like wikipedia: more about the
>> projects where users need to
>> -  vote for the articles or
>> - add really small fragments of text
>> - or link page together via Semantic MediaWiki properties or
>> - categorize and tagged the articles...
>>  these are all very small activities. The idea is that those
>> activities can be shown in the social network MW-client in the most
>> easy-to-consume way to the very broad audience. Or maybe they can be
>> even gamified!
>> -----
>> Yury Katkov
>>

>> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 1:02 AM, Mike  Dupont
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> tell me more, links?
>>>

>>> --
>>> James Michael DuPont
>>> Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://flossk.org
>>> Saving wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
>>> Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
>>> Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3
>>> Free Software Foundation Europe Fellow http://fsfe.org/support/?h4ck3rm1k3

> James Michael DuPont
> Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://flossk.org
> Saving wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
> Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
> Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3
> Free Software Foundation Europe Fellow http://fsfe.org/support/?h4ck3rm1k3

Re: [Wikitech-l] Using mediawiki from within the Social networks?

Mike DuPont
well what about the user granting you the rights to the comments etc
under certain conditions and they just use fb and pull that data in
via the api.
so you would have some pages that are autogenerated via fb, you might
have Talk:page for normal users and FB:Page for fb users.

mike