[MediaWiki-l] Validating wiki text before saving

[MediaWiki-l] Validating wiki text before saving

Larry Silverman
Some of my wiki users seem to like to paste full wiki URLs into pages
rather than use wiki link markup.

Is there an extension that can throw a validation error and prevent the
saving of a page if the submitted text contains a certain pattern, like the
hostname of the wiki?

Thanks.

Re: Validating wiki text before saving

Max Semenik
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AbuseFilter

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Larry Silverman <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Some of my wiki users seem to like to paste full wiki URLs into pages
> rather than use wiki link markup.
>
> Is there an extension that can throw a validation error and prevent the
> saving of a page if the submitted text contains a certain pattern, like the
> hostname of the wiki?
>
> Thanks.

Best regards,
Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])

Re: Validating wiki text before saving

Petr Bena
I don't think this is a best extension for this, despite it kind of,
is able to do similar things.

Better would be to have some hook to parser itself and have it verify
the syntax (which can be extended so even abuse filter doesn't know if
it's valid or not, only parser does). Then a notification could be
shown to user. In fact I don't know why we don't use something like
that on our wikis as well

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 4:01 AM, Max Semenik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AbuseFilter
>

> On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Larry Silverman <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>
>> Some of my wiki users seem to like to paste full wiki URLs into pages
>> rather than use wiki link markup.
>>
>> Is there an extension that can throw a validation error and prevent the
>> saving of a page if the submitted text contains a certain pattern, like the
>> hostname of the wiki?
>>
>> Thanks.

> Best regards,
> Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])

Re: Validating wiki text before saving

John Mark Vandenberg
On May 17, 2014 2:13 PM, "Petr Bena" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think this is a best extension for this, despite it kind of,
> is able to do similar things.
>
> Better would be to have some hook to parser itself and have it verify
> the syntax (which can be extended so even abuse filter doesn't know if
> it's valid or not, only parser does). Then a notification could be
> shown to user. In fact I don't know why we don't use something like
> that on our wikis as well

Improvements to the source editor like this would have a lot of impact in
reducing the amount of community time spent fixing newbie edits and
increasing learnability of the wiki syntax.

If this proposed extension used parsoid to validate the page, it could be
be invoked from the source editor using JS, like the VE editor.

It would give mediawikis a reason to install and contribute fixes to
parsoid even if they are not ready to install VE (or VE isnt ready to
support their wiki for whatever reason).

--
John

Re: Validating wiki text before saving

Tom Hutchison

> On May 16, 2014, at 10:01 PM, Max Semenik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AbuseFilter

The more I think about it the better I like using this extension as a solution to Larry's question.

AbuseFilter is pretty flexible. There are already rules created and being used for missing Category(ies) from page edits. You can deny the save or warn and allow, plus tag the edit.

So all is needed is a filter to check all edits for a url with the wiki's domain name. A gentle reminder, you do not need to use this syntax with an example of what to use. Or the hard road, not allowed please use this.

Tom

Re: Validating wiki text before saving

Billinghurst
On Sun, 18 May 2014 19:37:25 -0400, Tom <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On May 16, 2014, at 10:01 PM, Max Semenik <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AbuseFilter
>
> The more I think about it the better I like using this extension as a
> solution to Larry's question.
>
> AbuseFilter is pretty flexible. There are already rules created and
being
> used for missing Category(ies) from page edits. You can deny the save or
> warn and allow, plus tag the edit.
>
> So all is needed is a filter to check all edits for a url with the
wiki's
> domain name. A gentle reminder, you do not need to use this syntax with
an
> example of what to use. Or the hard road, not allowed please use this.
>
> Tom

An advantage of such an approach is that you can provide very specific,
direct and customised information and guidance. English Wikisource has an
abuse filter that checks a namespace for specific template that is required
to be present, and where it is not, then guidance is given on the format,
and links to specific help pages.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Special:AbuseFilter/1
In fact this was created as a filter before we even thought about its use
in abuse settings.

Sometimes it would nice to be able to cascade filters, or exclude on the
basis of a previous filter, however, that is not yet possible.

Regards, Billinghurst

Re: Validating wiki text before saving

Arcane 21
I was wondering if there was a way to make a filter for the following:

New pages must have one of a series of templates (any of the templates will do, as long as at least one is present) and a category of some sort.

This would only apply to users that are not autopatrolled, bots or administrators.

We'd like to have something on our wiki to deter new editors that don't follow the manual of style guidelines and so the filter would be to encourage them to do so, with the hope and intention of encouraging good editing.

I'm not very skilled in the use of AbuseFilter, so if someone could show me an example filter that would fit the above (if possible), it would be appreciated.

> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 12:53:52 +1000
> From: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [MediaWiki-l] Validating wiki text before saving
>
> On Sun, 18 May 2014 19:37:25 -0400, Tom <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> On May 16, 2014, at 10:01 PM, Max Semenik <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AbuseFilter
> >
> > The more I think about it the better I like using this extension as a
> > solution to Larry's question.
> >
> > AbuseFilter is pretty flexible. There are already rules created and
> being
> > used for missing Category(ies) from page edits. You can deny the save or
> > warn and allow, plus tag the edit.
> >
> > So all is needed is a filter to check all edits for a url with the
> wiki's
> > domain name. A gentle reminder, you do not need to use this syntax with
> an
> > example of what to use. Or the hard road, not allowed please use this.
> >
> > Tom
>
> An advantage of such an approach is that you can provide very specific,
> direct and customised information and guidance. English Wikisource has an
> abuse filter that checks a namespace for specific template that is required
> to be present, and where it is not, then guidance is given on the format,
> and links to specific help pages.
>
> https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Special:AbuseFilter/1
> In fact this was created as a filter before we even thought about its use
> in abuse settings.
>
> Sometimes it would nice to be able to cascade filters, or exclude on the
> basis of a previous filter, however, that is not yet possible.
>
> Regards, Billinghurst

Re: Validating wiki text before saving

YiFei
Would you test on this one:

(article_namespace == 0) /* Only for {{ns:0}} */
& !(user_groups rlike "(sysop|bot|autopatrolled)") /* Not admin, bot, or
autopatrolled */
& (action == "edit") /* Must be an "edit" */
& (article_articleid == 0) /* of previously non-existent page */
& !(new_wikitext irlike "^#\s*redirect") /* Must NOT be a redirect */
& (!(new_wikitext irlike "[[\s*Category:.+?]]") /* Must be missing
categories */
| !(new_wikitext irlike "\{\{\s*(Foo|Bar|Baz)")) /* OR none of the
templates listed is found */

> I was wondering if there was a way to make a filter for the following:
>
> New pages must have one of a series of templates (any of the templates
> will do, as long as at least one is present) and a category of some sort.
>
> This would only apply to users that are not autopatrolled, bots or
> administrators.
>
> We'd like to have something on our wiki to deter new editors that don't
> follow the manual of style guidelines and so the filter would be to
> encourage them to do so, with the hope and intention of encouraging good
> editing.
>
> I'm not very skilled in the use of AbuseFilter, so if someone could show
> me an example filter that would fit the above (if possible), it would be
> appreciated.

Re: Validating wiki text before saving

Billinghurst
Sure.  I would look to maybe give all the required templates the one
id="..." as that makes the match for those easiest, otherwise you want to
use contains_any

contains_any is good for something like
  !contains_any (user_groups, "sysop", "autopatrolled", ...)

At Commons, I did a simple one for main namespace that requires
<gallery...  just ensure that you test them for a while first, and if you
have enough people watching your RC, then tags are useful.

Best way that I learnt was just looking at different Special:AbuseFilter
and seeing what the competent were doing, and mimicking their components.

Here is a simple example of one such

article_namespace == 0 & (new_wikitext regex
"\[\[[Cc]ategory:\s?\d{1,4}\sworks\]\]")
& action = "edit"
& !contains_any (user_groups, "sysop")

You will want to do something for things being new pages.

Regards, Billinghurst

On Mon, 19 May 2014 00:19:59 -0500, Arcane 21 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was wondering if there was a way to make a filter for the following:
>
> New pages must have one of a series of templates (any of the templates
> will do, as long as at least one is present) and a category of some
sort.

> This would only apply to users that are not autopatrolled, bots or
> administrators.
>
> We'd like to have something on our wiki to deter new editors that don't
> follow the manual of style guidelines and so the filter would be to
> encourage them to do so, with the hope and intention of encouraging good
> editing.
>
> I'm not very skilled in the use of AbuseFilter, so if someone could show
> me an example filter that would fit the above (if possible), it would be
> appreciated.
>
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 12:53:52 +1000
>> From: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [MediaWiki-l] Validating wiki text before saving

>> > The more I think about it the better I like using this extension as a
>> > solution to Larry's question.
>> >
>> > AbuseFilter is pretty flexible. There are already rules created and
>> being
>> > used for missing Category(ies) from page edits. You can deny the save
>> > or
>> > warn and allow, plus tag the edit.
>> >
>> > So all is needed is a filter to check all edits for a url with the
>> wiki's
>> > domain name. A gentle reminder, you do not need to use this syntax
with
>> an
>> > example of what to use. Or the hard road, not allowed please use
this.

>> > Tom
>>
>> An advantage of such an approach is that you can provide very specific,
>> direct and customised information and guidance. English Wikisource has
an
>> abuse filter that checks a namespace for specific template that is
>> required
>> to be present, and where it is not, then guidance is given on the
format,
>> and links to specific help pages.
>>
>> https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Special:AbuseFilter/1
>> In fact this was created as a filter before we even thought about its
use
>> in abuse settings.
>>
>> Sometimes it would nice to be able to cascade filters, or exclude on
the

>> basis of a previous filter, however, that is not yet possible.
>>
>> Regards, Billinghurst

Re: Validating wiki text before saving

Arcane 21
That's what I was looking for, thank you very much!

> [...]
> >> an
> this.

> >> An advantage of such an approach is that you can provide very specific,
> >> direct and customised information and guidance. English Wikisource has
> an
> >> abuse filter that checks a namespace for specific template that is
> >> required
> >> to be present, and where it is not, then guidance is given on the
> format,
> >> and links to specific help pages.
> >>
> >> https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Special:AbuseFilter/1
> >> In fact this was created as a filter before we even thought about its
> use
> >> in abuse settings.
> >>
> >> Sometimes it would nice to be able to cascade filters, or exclude on
> the
> >> basis of a previous filter, however, that is not yet possible.

chris tharp-2
Per my understanding the following needs to be done:

1.New pages must have certain templates.
2 This is to force users to follow a certain style guidelines.
3. Admin must have freedom to get around these restrictions if need be.

Based on that, I think, the best solution would be to use Semantic Forms. A far easier solution then the AbuseFilter.

Sent from my iPad

On May 18, 2014, at 10:19 PM, Arcane 21 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was wondering if there was a way to make a filter for the following:
>
> New pages must have one of a series of templates (any of the templates will do, as long as at least one is present) and a category of some sort.
>
> This would only apply to users that are not autopatrolled, bots or administrators.
>
> We'd like to have something on our wiki to deter new editors that don't follow the manual of style guidelines and so the filter would be to encourage them to do so, with the hope and intention of encouraging good editing.
>
> I'm not very skilled in the use of AbuseFilter, so if someone could show me an example filter that would fit the above (if possible), it would be appreciated.
>
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 12:53:52 +1000
>> From: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [MediaWiki-l] Validating wiki text before saving

>>> The more I think about it the better I like using this extension as a
>>> solution to Larry's question.
>>>
>>> AbuseFilter is pretty flexible. There are already rules created and
>> being
>>> used for missing Category(ies) from page edits. You can deny the save or
>>> warn and allow, plus tag the edit.
>>>
>>> So all is needed is a filter to check all edits for a url with the
>> wiki's
>>> domain name. A gentle reminder, you do not need to use this syntax with
>> an
>>> example of what to use. Or the hard road, not allowed please use this.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>
>> An advantage of such an approach is that you can provide very specific,
>> direct and customised information and guidance. English Wikisource has an
>> abuse filter that checks a namespace for specific template that is required
>> to be present, and where it is not, then guidance is given on the format,
>> and links to specific help pages.
>>
>> https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Special:AbuseFilter/1
>> In fact this was created as a filter before we even thought about its use
>> in abuse settings.
>>
>> Sometimes it would nice to be able to cascade filters, or exclude on the
>> basis of a previous filter, however, that is not yet possible.
>>
>> Regards, Billinghurst

Re: Validating wiki text before saving

Arcane 21
I know even less about Semantic Forms than I do AbuseFilter, but given that you may be right, I'll have to look into that as well before we commit to anything.

Thanks for the alternative suggestion. :)

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 06:56:05 -0700
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [MediaWiki-l] Validating wiki text before saving
>
> Per my understanding the following needs to be done:
>
> 1.New pages must have certain templates.
> 2 This is to force users to follow a certain style guidelines.
> 3. Admin must have freedom to get around these restrictions if need be.
>
> Based on that, I think, the best solution would be to use Semantic Forms. A far easier solution then the AbuseFilter.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On May 18, 2014, at 10:19 PM, Arcane 21 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if there was a way to make a filter for the following:
> >
> > New pages must have one of a series of templates (any of the templates will do, as long as at least one is present) and a category of some sort.
> >
> > This would only apply to users that are not autopatrolled, bots or administrators.
> >
> > We'd like to have something on our wiki to deter new editors that don't follow the manual of style guidelines and so the filter would be to encourage them to do so, with the hope and intention of encouraging good editing.
> >
> > I'm not very skilled in the use of AbuseFilter, so if someone could show me an example filter that would fit the above (if possible), it would be appreciated.
> >
> >> To: [hidden email]
> >> Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 12:53:52 +1000
> >> From: [hidden email]
> >> Subject: Re: [MediaWiki-l] Validating wiki text before saving

> >> being

> >> wiki's
> >> an

> >> An advantage of such an approach is that you can provide very specific,
> >> direct and customised information and guidance. English Wikisource has an
> >> abuse filter that checks a namespace for specific template that is required
> >> to be present, and where it is not, then guidance is given on the format,
> >> and links to specific help pages.
> >>
> >> https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Special:AbuseFilter/1
> >> In fact this was created as a filter before we even thought about its use
> >> in abuse settings.
> >>
> >> Sometimes it would nice to be able to cascade filters, or exclude on the
> >> basis of a previous filter, however, that is not yet possible.
> >>
> >> Regards, Billinghurst

Re: Validating wiki text before saving

Larry Silverman
AbuseFilter looks like exactly what I need. Until there's something better,
AbuseFilter it is!

Thanks for the suggestion. I've already installed it and created my first
filter.

Larry Silverman
Chief Technology Officer
TrackAbout, Inc.

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 11:01 AM, Arcane 21 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know even less about Semantic Forms than I do AbuseFilter, but given
> that you may be right, I'll have to look into that as well before we commit
> to anything.
>
> Thanks for the alternative suggestion. :)
>
> > From: [hidden email]
> > Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 06:56:05 -0700
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: Re: [MediaWiki-l] Validating wiki text before saving
> >
> > Per my understanding the following needs to be done:
> >
> > 1.New pages must have certain templates.
> > 2 This is to force users to follow a certain style guidelines.
> > 3. Admin must have freedom to get around these restrictions if need be.
> >
> > Based on that, I think, the best solution would be to use Semantic
> Forms. A far easier solution then the AbuseFilter.
> >
> > Sent from my iPad
> >
> > On May 18, 2014, at 10:19 PM, Arcane 21 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I was wondering if there was a way to make a filter for the following:
> > >
> > > New pages must have one of a series of templates (any of the templates
> will do, as long as at least one is present) and a category of some sort.
> > >
> > > This would only apply to users that are not autopatrolled, bots or
> administrators.
> > >
> > > We'd like to have something on our wiki to deter new editors that
> don't follow the manual of style guidelines and so the filter would be to
> encourage them to do so, with the hope and intention of encouraging good
> editing.
> > >
> > > I'm not very skilled in the use of AbuseFilter, so if someone could
> show me an example filter that would fit the above (if possible), it would
> be appreciated.

> save or

> with
> this.

> specific,
> has an
> required
> format,

> use

> the

[MediaWiki-l] Question regarding modifying a wiki sidebar menu

Shirley Hicks
Am drilling down through the wiki documentation to figure out how to add dynamically relevant link lists to the navigation sidebar.
Have identified the divs and the mark-up (thanks Chrome element inspector) but for the life of me, can't find the php script, css or html
mark-up that holds the content.

Can someone throw me a cluebrick and tell me where to look?

Thanks in advance,

Shirley Hicks
Birmingham, AL

Re: Question regarding modifying a wiki sidebar menu

Tom Hutchison
Did you look at this? http://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Manual%3AHooks%2FSkinBuildSidebar  or you could look at the code for ideas for this extension   http://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Extension%3ADynamicSidebar   Tom

---Sent from my iPhone

Am drilling down through the wiki documentation to figure out how to add dynamically relevant link lists to the navigation sidebar.
Have identified the divs and the mark-up (thanks Chrome element inspector) but for the life of me, can't find the php script, css or html
mark-up that holds the content.

Can someone throw me a cluebrick and tell me where to look?

Thanks in advance,

Shirley Hicks
Birmingham, AL

Re: Question regarding modifying a wiki sidebar menu

chris tharp-2
Try going to: Mediaiwki:Sidebar

Sent from my iPad

On May 21, 2014, at 12:59 PM, Shirley Hicks <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am drilling down through the wiki documentation to figure out how to add dynamically relevant link lists to the navigation sidebar.
> Have identified the divs and the mark-up (thanks Chrome element inspector) but for the life of me, can't find the php script, css or html
> mark-up that holds the content.
>
> Can someone throw me a cluebrick and tell me where to look?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Shirley Hicks
> Birmingham, AL

Re: Question regarding modifying a wiki sidebar menu

chris tharp-2
Sorry misspelled: Mediawiki:Sidebar

Sent from my iPad

On May 21, 2014, at 4:43 PM, Chris Tharp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Try going to: Mediaiwki:Sidebar
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On May 21, 2014, at 12:59 PM, Shirley Hicks <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Am drilling down through the wiki documentation to figure out how to add dynamically relevant link lists to the navigation sidebar.
>> Have identified the divs and the mark-up (thanks Chrome element inspector) but for the life of me, can't find the php script, css or html
>> mark-up that holds the content.
>>
>> Can someone throw me a cluebrick and tell me where to look?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Shirley Hicks
>> Birmingham, AL

Re: Question regarding modifying a wiki sidebar menu

Shirley Hicks
Yeah - have found that and dug in. Haven't quite got the divisions working in the responsive manner that I'd like to use through brute force.

-- Shirley

On May 21, 2014, at 6:44 PM, Chris Tharp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry misspelled: Mediawiki:Sidebar
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On May 21, 2014, at 4:43 PM, Chris Tharp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Try going to: Mediaiwki:Sidebar
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On May 21, 2014, at 12:59 PM, Shirley Hicks <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Am drilling down through the wiki documentation to figure out how to add dynamically relevant link lists to the navigation sidebar.
>>> Have identified the divs and the mark-up (thanks Chrome element inspector) but for the life of me, can't find the php script, css or html
>>> mark-up that holds the content.
>>>
>>> Can someone throw me a cluebrick and tell me where to look?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Shirley Hicks
>>> Birmingham, AL
>>> [hidden email]

Re: Question regarding modifying a wiki sidebar menu

Tom Hutchison
Hi Shirley  Perhaps you could better explain what exactly you are trying to accomplish? You stated dynamically, which to me (and probably others) mean 'on the fly' or based on content of the page, user group, date, etc...   Chris pointed you at Mediawiki:Sidebar which is how you would build the static sidebar (same on every page / even SpecialPages).   Now you are using the word responsive, which to me would reference mobile/media screen adjustments to layout. Flow or layout?  Sorry, just trying to understand what exactly you are looking to find.   Tom

Yeah - have found that and dug in. Haven't quite got the divisions working in the responsive manner that I'd like to use through brute force.

-- Shirley

On May 21, 2014, at 6:44 PM, Chris Tharp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry misspelled: Mediawiki:Sidebar
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On May 21, 2014, at 4:43 PM, Chris Tharp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Try going to: Mediaiwki:Sidebar
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On May 21, 2014, at 12:59 PM, Shirley Hicks <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Am drilling down through the wiki documentation to figure out how to add dynamically relevant link lists to the navigation sidebar.
>>> Have identified the divs and the mark-up (thanks Chrome element inspector) but for the life of me, can't find the php script, css or html
>>> mark-up that holds the content.
>>>
>>> Can someone throw me a cluebrick and tell me where to look?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Shirley Hicks
>>> Birmingham, AL
>>> [hidden email]

Re: Question regarding modifying a wiki sidebar menu

Shirley Hicks
Sorry for the confusion, and thanks in advance for any advice and assistance.

I was attempting to customize our wiki's sidebar menu for the first time. I've now successfully done this (wiki.redmountainmakers.org (1.19.11), beta (1.22.6) with further tests and finetuning of extensions at wiki.backup.redmountainmakers.org via the MediaWiki:Sidebar page (took a little while to figure this out).

Would now like (if possible) to add dynamic content based on user group.

-- Shirley HIcks