[MediaWiki-l] Web host blocking policy

mathieu lovato stumpf guntz
Hello,

So trying to make a contribution - while logged - English Wikipedia
instance of Mediawiki returned a ban statut for the current IP. The reason :

    The IP address that you are currently using has been blocked because
    it is believed to be a web host provider. To prevent abuse, web
    hosts may be blocked from editing Wikipedia.

While do occasionally launch a web service, this is my home IP where I
currently don't run permanently such a service. So a first technical
concern is, does this filter does have a good pattern recognition
matching the goal which is aimed?

Now a more policy concern is, why would you ban an IP when it do indeed
make webhosting? It sounds like a "shoot first at anything that would
remotely look like a dirty face criminal, and then if it survive let it
try to bring proofs that it's not guilty" policy.

Banning IP which are known for vandalism is understandable. Banning IP
on loose pattern recognition is an other topic. It's all the more
regrettable when being logged with an account that in ten years as never
been used to practice any vandalism.

Please respond to this message with all relevant links to previous
material that you know as related to this topic. Also, please feel free
to give your opinions, advises and so on on this topic.

Banned-ly[1],
mathieu

[1] Please let me know if you are aware of any already accepted adverb
derived from "ban".

Re: Web host blocking policy

David Gerard-2
On 26 July 2015 at 10:26, Mathieu Stumpf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now a more policy concern is, why would you ban an IP when it do indeed make
> webhosting? It sounds like a "shoot first at anything that would remotely
> look like a dirty face criminal, and then if it survive let it try to bring
> proofs that it's not guilty" policy.

Because posters from hosting ranges are usually using open proxies
running on said host. Though not always, of course.

- d.

Re: Web host blocking policy

Fred Bauder-2
Try clearing your open proxies and request an unblock. You can direct
Nmap at your own ip to check your servers' status. I know this is hard
and complicated, but that is why there is a blanket policy blocking
sites with open proxies; they can be exploited at any time by multiple
users.

Fred

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 10:45:54 +0100
  David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26 July 2015 at 10:26, Mathieu Stumpf
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Now a more policy concern is, why would you ban an IP when it do
>>indeed make
>> webhosting? It sounds like a "shoot first at anything that would
>>remotely
>> look like a dirty face criminal, and then if it survive let it try
>>to bring
>> proofs that it's not guilty" policy.
>

> Because posters from hosting ranges are usually using open proxies
> running on said host. Though not always, of course.
>

> - d.

Re: Web host blocking policy

Benjamin Lees
On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 5:26 AM, Mathieu Stumpf
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> While do occasionally launch a web service, this is my home IP where I
> currently don't run permanently such a service. So a first technical concern
> is, does this filter does have a good pattern recognition matching the goal
> which is aimed?
This isn't based on a filter, as far as I know.  An administrator made
the decision to block the IP address range you edit from. (It would be
an entry with the {{webhostblock}} reason on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:BlockList?wpTarget=&wpOptions[]=userblocks&wpOptions[]=addressblocks&limit=50
)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Webhostblock
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Open_proxies

> Also, please feel free to give your
> opinions, advises and so on on this topic.
My advice is to follow the instructions on the template to either get
the range unblocked or get an IP block exemption for your account.

[MediaWiki-l] MediaWiki and Joomla

Brook Powers

Can anyone recommend an add-on to integrate Media-Wiki (logins) with Joomla, more specifically, Community Builder?

I want to add MediaWiki to enhance our existing site, but I prefer a single sign on and user database.

TIA

> On Jul 26, 2015, at 6:16 AM, Benjamin Lees <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 5:26 AM, Mathieu Stumpf
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> While do occasionally launch a web service, this is my home IP where I
>> currently don't run permanently such a service. So a first technical concern
>> is, does this filter does have a good pattern recognition matching the goal
>> which is aimed?
> This isn't based on a filter, as far as I know.  An administrator made
> the decision to block the IP address range you edit from. (It would be
> an entry with the {{webhostblock}} reason on
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:BlockList?wpTarget=&wpOptions[]=userblocks&wpOptions[]=addressblocks&limit=50
> )
>

>> Please respond to this message with all relevant links to previous material
>> that you know as related to this topic.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Webhostblock
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Open_proxies
>

>> Also, please feel free to give your
>> opinions, advises and so on on this topic.
> My advice is to follow the instructions on the template to either get
> the range unblocked or get an IP block exemption for your account.

Re: Web host blocking policy

Tyler Romeo
With the question answered, this discussion is off-topic for this mailing list, considering it is English Wikipedia policy and not anything sysadmin or MediaWiki-technical related.

I recommend taking any follow-up questions on wiki or to IRC.

--
Tyler Romeo
https://parent5446.nyc

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> While do occasionally launch a web service, this is my home IP where I
> currently don't run permanently such a service. So a first technical concern
> is, does this filter does have a good pattern recognition matching the goal
> which is aimed?
This isn't based on a filter, as far as I know. An administrator made
the decision to block the IP address range you edit from. (It would be
an entry with the {{webhostblock}} reason on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:BlockList?wpTarget=&wpOptions[]=userblocks&wpOptions[]=addressblocks&limit=50
)

> Please respond to this message with all relevant links to previous material
> that you know as related to this topic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Webhostblock
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Open_proxies

> Also, please feel free to give your
> opinions, advises and so on on this topic.
My advice is to follow the instructions on the template to either get
the range unblocked or get an IP block exemption for your account.

Re: MediaWiki and Joomla

Chris Steipp
You can have both authenticate to the same ldap instance to have
synchronized logins. Or synchronize the password hashes and extend
MediaWiki's password class to use the Joomla format.

But if you want true SSO, you'll need to have Joomla provide identities or
setup Joomla to consume MediaWiki's OAuth identities (which is probably
going to be more work). If Joomla can expose (the now deprecated) OpenID
2.0 identities, the OpenID extension can be setup to consume it. If it
exposed OpenID Connect, then you can probably modify the GoogleLogin
extension to point to Joomla.

So it shouldn't be too hard, but I'm not aware of an existing solution for
it.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Brook Powers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend an add-on to integrate Media-Wiki (logins) with
> Joomla, more specifically, Community Builder?
>
> I want to add MediaWiki to enhance our existing site, but I prefer a
> single sign on and user database.
>
> TIA

Re: MediaWiki and Joomla

Brook Powers
Sorry for the duplicate posts. I've been having one hell of a time
subscribing to the mailing list, and then getting my posts to show up.

Any thoughts on something fairly turnkey, such as;

http://www.haroldprins.nl/index.php/mediawiki-bridge
or
http://www.bestofjoomla.com/component/option,com_mtree/task,viewlink/link_id,1046/Itemid,46/

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 2:30 PM, Chris Steipp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can have both authenticate to the same ldap instance to have
> synchronized logins. Or synchronize the password hashes and extend
> MediaWiki's password class to use the Joomla format.
>
> But if you want true SSO, you'll need to have Joomla provide identities or
> setup Joomla to consume MediaWiki's OAuth identities (which is probably
> going to be more work). If Joomla can expose (the now deprecated) OpenID
> 2.0 identities, the OpenID extension can be setup to consume it. If it
> exposed OpenID Connect, then you can probably modify the GoogleLogin
> extension to point to Joomla.
>
> So it shouldn't be too hard, but I'm not aware of an existing solution for
> it.
>
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Brook Powers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > Can anyone recommend an add-on to integrate Media-Wiki (logins) with
> > Joomla, more specifically, Community Builder?
> >
> > I want to add MediaWiki to enhance our existing site, but I prefer a
> > single sign on and user database.
> >
> > TIA

Re: MediaWiki and Joomla

Chris Steipp
On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 11:17 AM, Brook Powers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry for the duplicate posts. I've been having one hell of a time
> subscribing to the mailing list, and then getting my posts to show up.
>
> Any thoughts on something fairly turnkey, such as;
>
> http://www.haroldprins.nl/index.php/mediawiki-bridge
> or
>
> http://www.bestofjoomla.com/component/option,com_mtree/task,viewlink/link_id,1046/Itemid,46/

I haven't personally used either of those, but possibly someone else on the
list has?