[MediaWiki-l] What is <admin> in install.php

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[MediaWiki-l] What is <admin> in install.php

Jeffrey Walton
I'm having trouble with a fresh install using the 1.31 tarball. We are
using MySQL, and I created the database and user per the instructions
at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Installing_MediaWiki:

CREATE DATABASE wikidb;
CREATE USER 'wikiuser'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'XXXXX';
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON wikidb.* TO 'wikiuser'@'localhost' WITH GRANT OPTION;

The next step is to run "php maintenance/install.php" but no
directions are provided. Running with information from "install.php
--help" is failing:

# php maintenance/install.php --dbname:wikidb --dbuser:wikiuser
--dbpass:XXXX root
Argument <admin> required!

What is the argument <admin>?

Thanks in advance

----------

# php maintenance/install.php --help

CLI-based MediaWiki installation and configuration.
Default options are indicated in parentheses.

Usage: php install.php [--conf|--confpath|--dbname|--dbpass|--dbpassfile|--dbpat
h|--dbport|--dbprefix|--dbschema|--dbserver|--dbtype|--dbuser|--env-checks|--glo
bals|--help|--installdbpass|--installdbuser|--lang|--memory-limit|--mwdebug|--pa
ss|--passfile|--profiler|--quiet|--scriptpath|--server|--wiki|--with-extensions]
 [name]

Generic maintenance parameters:
    --help (-h): Display this help message
    --quiet (-q): Whether to supress non-error output
    --conf: Location of LocalSettings.php, if not default
    --wiki: For specifying the wiki ID
    --globals: Output globals at the end of processing for debugging
    --memory-limit: Set a specific memory limit for the script, "max"
        for no limit or "default" to avoid changing it
    --server: The protocol and server name to use in URLs, e.g.
        http://en.wikipedia.org. This is sometimes necessary because server name
        detection may fail in command line scripts.
    --profiler: Profiler output format (usually "text")
    --mwdebug: Enable built-in MediaWiki development settings

Script dependant parameters:
    --dbuser: The DB user to use for this script
    --dbpass: The password to use for this script

Script specific parameters:
    --confpath: Path to write LocalSettings.php to (/var/www/html/wiki)
    --dbname: The database name (my_wiki)
    --dbpassfile: An alternative way to provide dbpass option, as the
        contents of this file
    --dbpath: The path for the SQLite DB ($IP/data)
    --dbport: The database port; only for PostgreSQL (5432)
    --dbprefix: Optional database table name prefix
    --dbschema: The schema for the MediaWiki DB in PostgreSQL/Microsoft
        SQL Server (mediawiki)
    --dbserver: The database host (localhost)
    --dbtype: The type of database (mysql)
    --env-checks: Run environment checks only, don't change anything
    --installdbpass: The password for the DB user to install as.
    --installdbuser: The user to use for installing (root)
    --lang: The language to use (en)
    --pass: The password for the wiki administrator.
    --passfile: An alternative way to provide pass option, as the
        contents of this file
    --scriptpath: The relative path of the wiki in the web server
        (/wiki)
    --with-extensions: Detect and include extensions

Arguments:
    [name]: The name of the wiki (MediaWiki)
    <admin>: The username of the wiki administrator.

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is <admin> in install.php

Hershel Robinson
You may find it easier to install by visiting the URL of the install
and using the web installer.

Hershel

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is <admin> in install.php

Jeffrey Walton
On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 3:16 PM Hershel Robinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You may find it easier to install by visiting the URL of the install
> and using the web installer.

Thanks.

Here's the URL: https://www.cryptopp.com/wiki/

Jeff

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is <admin> in install.php

Jeff Darlington
In reply to this post by Jeffrey Walton
The answer is right there in the output of the --help command:

<admin>: The username of the wiki administrator.

It's the username of your wiki's admin user.

See the example here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Install.php#Examples

Hope this helps...

Jeffrey T. Darlington
General Protection Fault
https://www.gpf-comics.com/

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 2:53 PM Jeffrey Walton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm having trouble with a fresh install using the 1.31 tarball. We are
> using MySQL, and I created the database and user per the instructions
> at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Installing_MediaWiki:
>
> CREATE DATABASE wikidb;
> CREATE USER 'wikiuser'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'XXXXX';
> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON wikidb.* TO 'wikiuser'@'localhost' WITH GRANT
> OPTION;
>
> The next step is to run "php maintenance/install.php" but no
> directions are provided. Running with information from "install.php
> --help" is failing:
>
> # php maintenance/install.php --dbname:wikidb --dbuser:wikiuser
> --dbpass:XXXX root
> Argument <admin> required!
>
> What is the argument <admin>?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> ----------
>
> # php maintenance/install.php --help
>
> CLI-based MediaWiki installation and configuration.
> Default options are indicated in parentheses.
>
> Usage: php install.php
> [--conf|--confpath|--dbname|--dbpass|--dbpassfile|--dbpat
>
> h|--dbport|--dbprefix|--dbschema|--dbserver|--dbtype|--dbuser|--env-checks|--glo
>
> bals|--help|--installdbpass|--installdbuser|--lang|--memory-limit|--mwdebug|--pa
>
> ss|--passfile|--profiler|--quiet|--scriptpath|--server|--wiki|--with-extensions]
>  [name]
>
> Generic maintenance parameters:
>     --help (-h): Display this help message
>     --quiet (-q): Whether to supress non-error output
>     --conf: Location of LocalSettings.php, if not default
>     --wiki: For specifying the wiki ID
>     --globals: Output globals at the end of processing for debugging
>     --memory-limit: Set a specific memory limit for the script, "max"
>         for no limit or "default" to avoid changing it
>     --server: The protocol and server name to use in URLs, e.g.
>         http://en.wikipedia.org. This is sometimes necessary because
> server name
>         detection may fail in command line scripts.
>     --profiler: Profiler output format (usually "text")
>     --mwdebug: Enable built-in MediaWiki development settings
>
> Script dependant parameters:
>     --dbuser: The DB user to use for this script
>     --dbpass: The password to use for this script
>
> Script specific parameters:
>     --confpath: Path to write LocalSettings.php to (/var/www/html/wiki)
>     --dbname: The database name (my_wiki)
>     --dbpassfile: An alternative way to provide dbpass option, as the
>         contents of this file
>     --dbpath: The path for the SQLite DB ($IP/data)
>     --dbport: The database port; only for PostgreSQL (5432)
>     --dbprefix: Optional database table name prefix
>     --dbschema: The schema for the MediaWiki DB in PostgreSQL/Microsoft
>         SQL Server (mediawiki)
>     --dbserver: The database host (localhost)
>     --dbtype: The type of database (mysql)
>     --env-checks: Run environment checks only, don't change anything
>     --installdbpass: The password for the DB user to install as.
>     --installdbuser: The user to use for installing (root)
>     --lang: The language to use (en)
>     --pass: The password for the wiki administrator.
>     --passfile: An alternative way to provide pass option, as the
>         contents of this file
>     --scriptpath: The relative path of the wiki in the web server
>         (/wiki)
>     --with-extensions: Detect and include extensions
>
> Arguments:
>     [name]: The name of the wiki (MediaWiki)
>     <admin>: The username of the wiki administrator.
>
> _______________________________________________
> MediaWiki-l mailing list
> To unsubscribe, go to:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
>
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is <admin> in install.php

Jeffrey Walton
On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 3:25 PM Jeff Darlington
<[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks Jeff.

> The answer is right there in the output of the --help command:
>
> <admin>: The username of the wiki administrator.

But it was provided in the command. I used "root". Or maybe I am
missing something obvious. Are you certain Usage is correct?

> It's the username of your wiki's admin user.

Is that different from the wikiuser that was created in the earlier
step or root?

> See the example here: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Install.php#Examples

Thanks. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Installing_MediaWiki
should link to the page.

A quick question.... Does install.php create LocalSettings.php? If so
I have my old one (that does not seem to work with the new install).

Jeff

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is <admin> in install.php

Jeff Darlington
Huh... somehow the list got dropped from my reply.  Let's try this again...

Unfortunately, it's been so long since I installed my wiki, I honestly
don't remember if I used the web or CLI installer.  I'm guessing the web,
because I don't remember using this command.  However, I'll point out that
in addition to the plethora of CL options (the ones starting with "--"),
there are *two* parameters that need to be supplied:  the wiki name and the
wiki admin user.  I'm only seeing one in your command.  I think the script
is taking "root" to be your wiki name, and when it tries to get your wiki
admin name, there aren't any parameters left, so it complains.

I interpret "The username of the wiki administrator" as the user account
you will eventually log in with to administrate your wiki.  This is
separate from the database user name ("wikiuser") that you supplied with
the options.

I'm not 100% sure this is correct, but that's how I read it.

Jeffrey T. Darlington
General Protection Fault
https://www.gpf-comics.com/

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 3:37 PM Jeffrey Walton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 3:25 PM Jeff Darlington
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Jeff.
>
> > The answer is right there in the output of the --help command:
> >
> > <admin>: The username of the wiki administrator.
>
> But it was provided in the command. I used "root". Or maybe I am
> missing something obvious. Are you certain Usage is correct?
>
> > It's the username of your wiki's admin user.
>
> Is that different from the wikiuser that was created in the earlier
> step or root?
>
> > See the example here:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Install.php#Examples
>
> Thanks. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Installing_MediaWiki
> should link to the page.
>
> A quick question.... Does install.php create LocalSettings.php? If so
> I have my old one (that does not seem to work with the new install).
>
> Jeff
>
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l