[MediaWiki-l] What's the best way to improve performance, with regard to edit rate

[MediaWiki-l] What's the best way to improve performance, with regard to edit rate

Star Struck
I have a wiki with a high volume of edits that need to be made (via API),
about 2-3 per second. The wiki can't keep up with them; there ends up being
a backlog of edits that need to be made as, e.g., attempts are being made
by 10 different bots to make 10 edits simultaneously (all to different
pages) and it takes a long time for them to save so that the bots can move
on to their next edits.

What's the best way to boost performance in the ways needed to reduce the
time needed to save edits, or to be able to save more edits per second by
concurrently running bots? Thanks, -- Starstruck

Re: What's the best way to improve performance, with regard to edit rate

Hershel Robinson
> What's the best way to boost performance ...

Depends on a myriad of factors, such as the OS, web server and
database and hardware etc.

The simplest answer is to increase your hardware resources, meaning if
the site has one CPU, give it two. For anything more specific, we
would need more details about the server software and hardware.

Hershel
On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 2:41 PM Star Struck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a wiki with a high volume of edits that need to be made (via API),
> about 2-3 per second. The wiki can't keep up with them; there ends up being
> a backlog of edits that need to be made as, e.g., attempts are being made
> by 10 different bots to make 10 edits simultaneously (all to different
> pages) and it takes a long time for them to save so that the bots can move
> on to their next edits.
>
> What's the best way to boost performance in the ways needed to reduce the
> time needed to save edits, or to be able to save more edits per second by
> concurrently running bots? Thanks, -- Starstruck

http://civihosting.com/
Simply the best in shared hosting

Re: What's the best way to improve performance, with regard to edit rate

Star Struck
The server is just the localhost that I use for testing; it's Apache and
MySQL running on Ubuntu 18.04 on an HP Elite 3.0ghz with 4GB of RAM
<https://www.amazon.com/HP-Elite-Professional-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B0094JF1HA>.
I haven't really figured out what kind of hardware or software I want to
use for production, because I haven't done a lot of server administration
(I've typically just used a VPS when I needed webhosting, but perhaps my
needs now have expanded beyond that, because this is going to be a huge
wiki, the same scale as Wikipedia; although my main concern at the moment
is with making page saves, rather than page loads, more efficient, since I
don't necessarily anticipate having a lot of visitors from the Internet
reading the wiki, or else I'd be focusing more on stuff like caching; I
mostly just want to set up a workable proof-of-concept for the moment.)

I've heard that Wikimedia splits their enwiki database up among more than
one server; is that how they're able to handle several page saves per
second on the master?

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 8:19 AM Hershel Robinson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > What's the best way to boost performance ...
>
> Depends on a myriad of factors, such as the OS, web server and
> database and hardware etc.
>
> The simplest answer is to increase your hardware resources, meaning if
> the site has one CPU, give it two. For anything more specific, we
> would need more details about the server software and hardware.
>
> Hershel

Re: What's the best way to improve performance, with regard to edit rate

Hershel Robinson
> I've heard that Wikimedia splits their enwiki database up among more than
> one server; is that how they're able to handle several page saves per
> second on the master?

That is correct. See here
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_servers for more details.