[MediaWiki-l] What's the secret to using ip_in_range() with AbuseFilter

[MediaWiki-l] What's the secret to using ip_in_range() with AbuseFilter

Al Johnson
There is no documentation on this on the entire world wide web.  There seems to be a variable missing for the user's IP address that can be passed-in to the function.  I tried user_name, but that didn't work and I'm not sure about the range parameter either... I tried "66.187.0.0/16" but that didn't seem to work.

Much appreciated.

Re: What's the secret to using ip_in_range() with AbuseFilter

Jonathan Aquilina
Al i dunno why bringing this up struck a note in my mind but i am thinking
if we want to block spam and abuse on one's wiki couldnt this function be
tied into something like an email dns black list of known spam ips?

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM, Al <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is no documentation on this on the entire world wide web.  There
> seems to be a variable missing for the user's IP address that can be
> passed-in to the function.  I tried user_name, but that didn't work and I'm
> not sure about the range parameter either... I tried "66.187.0.0/16" but
> that didn't seem to work.
>
> Much appreciated.

Jonathan Aquilina
OQ

Re: What's the secret to using ip_in_range() with AbuseFilter

OQ
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgEnableDnsBlacklist
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgDnsBlacklistUrls

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Jonathan Aquilina
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Al i dunno why bringing this up struck a note in my mind but i am thinking
> if we want to block spam and abuse on one's wiki couldnt this function be
> tied into something like an email dns black list of known spam ips?
>

> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM, Al <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > There is no documentation on this on the entire world wide web.  There
> > seems to be a variable missing for the user's IP address that can be
> > passed-in to the function.  I tried user_name, but that didn't work and
> I'm
> > not sure about the range parameter either... I tried "66.187.0.0/16" but
> > that didn't seem to work.
> >
> > Much appreciated.

> Jonathan Aquilina

Re: What's the secret to using ip_in_range() with AbuseFilter

Jonathan Aquilina
Thanks for those :) will look into those :)

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 7:03 PM, OQ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgEnableDnsBlacklist
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgDnsBlacklistUrls
>

> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Jonathan Aquilina
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > Al i dunno why bringing this up struck a note in my mind but i am
> thinking
> > if we want to block spam and abuse on one's wiki couldnt this function be
> > tied into something like an email dns black list of known spam ips?
> >

> > On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM, Al <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > There is no documentation on this on the entire world wide web.  There
> > > seems to be a variable missing for the user's IP address that can be
> > > passed-in to the function.  I tried user_name, but that didn't work and
> > I'm
> > > not sure about the range parameter either... I tried "66.187.0.0/16"
> but
> > > that didn't seem to work.
> > >
> > > Much appreciated.

> > Jonathan Aquilina

Jonathan Aquilina

Re: What's the secret to using ip_in_range() with AbuseFilter

Al Johnson
I'm glad that I was able to spur some more talk about spam... again /o)

Now, can anyone even venture a guess to my question or shall I start hacking away?  I'm beginning to wonder if I'm not the only one with a moderately hacked wiki.

On Monday, October 21, 2013 10:41 AM, Al <[hidden email]> wrote:

There is no documentation on this on the entire world wide web.  There seems to be a variable missing for the user's IP address that can be passed-in to the function.  I tried user_name, but that didn't work and I'm not sure about the range parameter either... I tried "66.187.0.0/16" but that didn't seem to work.

>Much appreciated.

Re: What's the secret to using ip_in_range() with AbuseFilter

Jonathan Aquilina
Al have you tried questy captcha. It is great and cuts down spam quite a
bit. the document foundation use it, but the issue is localization of
questions which is somethign I am working on with the questy dev as well as
for the document foundation.

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Al <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm glad that I was able to spur some more talk about spam... again /o)
>
> Now, can anyone even venture a guess to my question or shall I start
> hacking away?  I'm beginning to wonder if I'm not the only one with a
> moderately hacked wiki.
>

> On Monday, October 21, 2013 10:41 AM, Al <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There is no documentation on this on the entire world wide web.  There
> seems to be a variable missing for the user's IP address that can be
> passed-in to the function.  I tried user_name, but that didn't work and I'm
> not sure about the range parameter either... I tried "66.187.0.0/16" but
> that didn't seem to work.
> >
> >Much appreciated.

Jonathan Aquilina

Re: What's the secret to using ip_in_range() with AbuseFilter

Chris Steipp
It accepts a pretty wide range of formats (see IP::parseRange()). So,

ip_in_range(user_name, '127.0.0.1/16')
ip_in_range(user_name, '127.0.0.1')
ip_in_range(user_name, '127.0.0.0-127.0.255.255')

Will all trigger for a localhost editor.

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 3:32 AM, Al <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm glad that I was able to spur some more talk about spam... again /o)
>
> Now, can anyone even venture a guess to my question or shall I start
> hacking away?  I'm beginning to wonder if I'm not the only one with a
> moderately hacked wiki.
>

> On Monday, October 21, 2013 10:41 AM, Al <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There is no documentation on this on the entire world wide web.  There
> seems to be a variable missing for the user's IP address that can be
> passed-in to the function.  I tried user_name, but that didn't work and I'm
> not sure about the range parameter either... I tried "66.187.0.0/16" but
> that didn't seem to work.
> >
> >Much appreciated.

Re: What's the secret to using ip_in_range() with AbuseFilter

Al Johnson
Right, but this only works for anonymous users.  user_name holds the IP for anonymous users.  I went ahead and hacked a fix to add a user_ip variable; pretty simple.