[MediaWiki-l] Where is the documentation for creating "Portals" in a small MediaWiki site?

[MediaWiki-l] Where is the documentation for creating "Portals" in a small MediaWiki site?

Keith Christian
The main Wikipedia.org site has many such "portals" and they function
well.  Interested in how a "portal" is structured and set up within a
MediaWiki site?

Thanks!

Keith

Re: Where is the documentation for creating "Portals" in a small MediaWiki site?

Bartosz Dziewoński
I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for. Can you give an
example of a "portal"? There are several things we call by that name :)

--
Bartosz Dziewoński

Re: Where is the documentation for creating "Portals" in a small MediaWiki site?

Brian Wolff

Portals (as in the pages starting with Portal:, not to be confused with
www.wikipedia.org which is also sometimes called a portal) are just normal
wikipages using various templates maintained by the wikipedia community.
The only mediawiki specific config is adding Portal to $wgExtraNamespaces.

There are some en wikipedia specific instructions at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Portal/Instructions . If you want
portals on your own wiki, you will have to copy over templates and lua
modules. I couldnt find any generic instructions but its basically the same
as
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Importing_Wikipedia_infoboxes_tutorial
except replace any infobox specific steps with portal templates.

--
brian

On Friday, September 8, 2017, Keith Christian <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The main Wikipedia.org site has many such "portals" and they function
> well.  Interested in how a "portal" is structured and set up within a
> MediaWiki site?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Keith

Re: Where is the documentation for creating "Portals" in a small MediaWiki site?

Keith Christian
Hi Brian,

I'll take a look at those links, thank you.

Keith