[MediaWiki-l] Where to publish

chris tharp-2
Hi Everyone,

Not sure to where to publish some helpful gallery CSS add-ons. I've crafted
some CSS (patched together from things I've found on the net) for creating
the following inside a Mediawiki:

1. A "Pinterest" "Masonry" Like Gallery. This is where a gallery of photos
dynamically fit together inside rows. This is pure CSS -- it doesn't use
Masonry. Tested in almost all of the major browsers; however, most likely
will not work correctly in lower versions of ie.  Semantic Results will
display formatted inside the gallery if the ask query is inside the
starting div and ending div.(tested with a video ask statement that pulled
all the videos I had on the site -- where the ask statement prints out to a
template). The JavaScript Slideshow extension will show up as item inside
the gallery but the image sizes will not automatically re-size to the row
size like the other images do.

2. Expand Image Size upon Hover. This is where an image expands to double
the size it when the mouse or hand (on touch) goes over it. Will work with
normal Mediawiki galleries & the JavaScript Slideshow Extension.
Additionally will work with outside photos that are hot-linked and with
some types of embedded photos. Normally the image will expand and float
over other near-by images. In ie, when combined with the "Pinterest"
gallery above, the middle row images will enlarge inside the row but not
will float other images in the other rows.

Both CSS galleries can work together.

Of course I plan on having these on my site, but they seem like some things
more people would like. I plan on having an explanation on my site on how
do to these things, but it seems like there should be a better place to
publish them.

However since they're not actually extensions not sure if they should be
published on Mediawiki.org. So where should they be published? (if they
should be)

Thanks

Chris Tharp

Re: Where to publish

Benjamin Lees
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Snippets

Re: Where to publish

Nathan Larson
On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 11:13 PM, Benjamin Lees <[hidden email]>wrote:

> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Snippets

Chris Tharp: Yes, definitely please post these CSS snippets; "Expand Image
Size upon Hover" in particular is exactly what I've been looking for. If
there's a way to combine it with
SlimboxThumbs<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SlimboxThumbs>or
one of the other extensions that activates a slideshow when someone
clicks on an image, that would be great. (Thus far, SlimboxThumbs is the
only one that I've been able to get to work on my wikis.)

Benjamin Lees: Thanks for providing that link.

Re: Where to publish

chris tharp-2
HI Nathan,

I'll post the CSS snippets later today. However, I think any "LightBox"
feature would not work with the Expand upon Hover since the actions cancel
each other out (I'm currently designing a wiki in the Foreground skin that
has a build in lightbox feature and it will not work with the LightBox
feature). It will work with the JavaScript Slideshow extension, but that
extension is just a slideshow, and has no LightBox overlay.

Benjamin: Thanks for the link.

Chris Tharp

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 9:06 AM, Nathan Larson
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 11:13 PM, Benjamin Lees <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Snippets
> >

> Chris Tharp: Yes, definitely please post these CSS snippets; "Expand Image
> Size upon Hover" in particular is exactly what I've been looking for. If
> there's a way to combine it with
> SlimboxThumbs<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SlimboxThumbs>or
> one of the other extensions that activates a slideshow when someone
> clicks on an image, that would be great. (Thus far, SlimboxThumbs is the
> only one that I've been able to get to work on my wikis.)
>
> Benjamin Lees: Thanks for providing that link.

Re: Where to publish

chris tharp-2
Hi Nathan,

I've posted the Image Expand on Hover. See:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Snippets/Image_Expand_on_Hover

Also I just rechecked it and it seems I was wrong. It does work with the
LightBox feature since it works on hovering and not on clicking.

All the best

Chris Tharp