[MediaWiki-l] Wiki Formatting Query

John Foster-2
I have several templates that I have copied from Wikipedia etc. Some of
them have a curious command  such as   {{/info}}  what is throwing me off
is the / in the template call. I can not find any reference as to exactly
what that is supposed to do.  It usually ends up with no results. Anyone<
please advise if you are aware of how this is supposed to work etc.
Thanks

--
John Foster

Re: Wiki Formatting Query

John Doe-27
That is shorthand for sub pages of the current template

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 6:19 PM John Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have several templates that I have copied from Wikipedia etc. Some of
> them have a curious command  such as   {{/info}}  what is throwing me off
> is the / in the template call. I can not find any reference as to exactly
> what that is supposed to do.  It usually ends up with no results. Anyone<
> please advise if you are aware of how this is supposed to work etc.
> Thanks
>
> --
> John Foster

Re: Wiki Formatting Query

John Foster-2
Thanks! So How do I get them to work or get rid of them from my site. I
would like them to work.

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 6:25 PM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That is shorthand for sub pages of the current template
>
> On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 6:19 PM John Foster <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I have several templates that I have copied from Wikipedia etc. Some of
> > them have a curious command  such as   {{/info}}  what is throwing me off
> > is the / in the template call. I can not find any reference as to exactly
> > what that is supposed to do.  It usually ends up with no results. Anyone<
> > please advise if you are aware of how this is supposed to work etc.
> > Thanks
> >
> > --
> > John Foster

John Foster

Re: Wiki Formatting Query

John Doe-27
Either import that subpage or remove the call

On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 8:20 PM John Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks! So How do I get them to work or get rid of them from my site. I
> would like them to work.
>
> On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 6:25 PM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > That is shorthand for sub pages of the current template
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 6:19 PM John Foster <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I have several templates that I have copied from Wikipedia etc. Some of
> > > them have a curious command  such as   {{/info}}  what is throwing me
> off
> > > is the / in the template call. I can not find any reference as to
> exactly
> > > what that is supposed to do.  It usually ends up with no results.
> Anyone<
> > > please advise if you are aware of how this is supposed to work etc.
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > --
> > > John Foster

> John Foster

Re: Wiki Formatting Query

John Foster-2
OK I have tried to locate the page by searching for Template:/info  which
does not work. Also tried /info as a simple page lookup, not located.
Trying simply info get a crap load of junk. Template:Info does exist and is
on my site but the call {{/info}}  does not locate the template. Is there
some type of shortcut or name space  that should be activated. Mostly is
there a bit of documentation that you can direct me to.
Thanks!!!

On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 8:32 PM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Either import that subpage or remove the call
>
> On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 8:20 PM John Foster <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Thanks! So How do I get them to work or get rid of them from my site. I
> > would like them to work.
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 6:25 PM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > That is shorthand for sub pages of the current template

> of
> > off
> > exactly
> > Anyone<

> > John Foster

John Foster

Re: Wiki Formatting Query

Bryan Davis
On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 7:45 PM, John Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:
> OK I have tried to locate the page by searching for Template:/info  which
> does not work. Also tried /info as a simple page lookup, not located.
> Trying simply info get a crap load of junk. Template:Info does exist and is
> on my site but the call {{/info}}  does not locate the template. Is there
> some type of shortcut or name space  that should be activated. Mostly is
> there a bit of documentation that you can direct me to.
> Thanks!!!

The <something>/info page you are missing is the /info subpage of the
template that you originally copied. So if you exported Template:Foo,
you also need to export Template:Foo/info. Special:Export should do
this for you automatically if you check the "Include templates" option
when you export a page.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <[hidden email]>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]] Manager, Cloud Services          Boise, ID USA

Re: Wiki Formatting Query

John Foster-2
Ah ha....some clarity. I cut and pasted a few of them. That's likely  how I
missed it. Thanks. I have an idea now what I can do to correct this.
Thanks!