[MediaWiki-l] Wordpress and Mediawiki Nice URL Problem

[MediaWiki-l] Wordpress and Mediawiki Nice URL Problem

Isabell Alcott-2
Hello,

I have the following problem:

*www.domain.com* is a blog (wordpress)
*www.domain.com/w/* is the Mediawiki installation

I know the specifications concerning the .htaccess and the index to make
the *www.domain.com/w/ *into a nice
*www.domain.com/wiki/

*Caused by the Wordpress Installation, which should be on top of the Domain
hierarchy, I have several problems concerning the nice URL in the
Mediawiki-Installation. So the Domain is pointing directly to the Wiki
instead to the Wordpress Blog.

Can someone help? I would be highly appreciate that!

uv

Re: Wordpress and Mediawiki Nice URL Problem

rotsee
Is there a reason you can't use seperate subdomains? Like blog.domain.com or something for your Wordpress site.

/Leo
_______________Leonard [hidden email]@leo_wallentin+46 (0) 735 - 933 543

> Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 13:38:21 +0200
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [MediaWiki-l] Wordpress and Mediawiki Nice URL Problem
>
> Hello,
>
> I have the following problem:
>
> *www.domain.com* is a blog (wordpress)
> *www.domain.com/w/* is the Mediawiki installation
>
> I know the specifications concerning the .htaccess and the index to make
> the *www.domain.com/w/ *into a nice
> *www.domain.com/wiki/
>
> *Caused by the Wordpress Installation, which should be on top of the Domain
> hierarchy, I have several problems concerning the nice URL in the
> Mediawiki-Installation. So the Domain is pointing directly to the Wiki
> instead to the Wordpress Blog.
>
> Can someone help? I would be highly appreciate that!
>
> uv
---
Leo Wallentin
Skype: leo_wallentin
Twitter: @leo_wallentin
Säsongsmat.nu

Re: Wordpress and Mediawiki Nice URL Problem

Isabell Alcott-2
yes, that would be the most easiest way to do it, but i dont like the
solution over subdomains, so thats why.

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Leonard Wallentin <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a reason you can't use seperate subdomains? Like blog.domain.comor something for your Wordpress site.
>
> /Leo
> _______________Leonard [hidden email]@leo_wallentin+46
> (0) 735 - 933 543
>
> > Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 13:38:21 +0200
> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: [MediaWiki-l] Wordpress and Mediawiki Nice URL Problem
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have the following problem:
> >
> > *www.domain.com* is a blog (wordpress)
> > *www.domain.com/w/* is the Mediawiki installation
> >
> > I know the specifications concerning the .htaccess and the index to make
> > the *www.domain.com/w/ *into a nice
> > *www.domain.com/wiki/
> >
> > *Caused by the Wordpress Installation, which should be on top of the
> Domain
> > hierarchy, I have several problems concerning the nice URL in the
> > Mediawiki-Installation. So the Domain is pointing directly to the Wiki
> > instead to the Wordpress Blog.
> >
> > Can someone help? I would be highly appreciate that!
> >
> > uv

Re: Wordpress and Mediawiki Nice URL Problem

Isabell Alcott-2
hello, has noone a solution for my problem ?

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Isabell Alcott <[hidden email]>wrote:

> yes, that would be the most easiest way to do it, but i dont like the
> solution over subdomains, so thats why.
>

> On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Leonard Wallentin <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Is there a reason you can't use seperate subdomains? Like blog.domain.comor something for your Wordpress site.
>>
>> /Leo
>> _______________Leonard [hidden email]@leo_wallentin+46
>> (0) 735 - 933 543
>>
>> > Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 13:38:21 +0200
>> > From: [hidden email]
>> > To: [hidden email]
>> > Subject: [MediaWiki-l] Wordpress and Mediawiki Nice URL Problem
>> >
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have the following problem:
>> >
>> > *www.domain.com* is a blog (wordpress)
>> > *www.domain.com/w/* is the Mediawiki installation
>> >
>> > I know the specifications concerning the .htaccess and the index to make
>> > the *www.domain.com/w/ *into a nice
>> > *www.domain.com/wiki/
>> >
>> > *Caused by the Wordpress Installation, which should be on top of the
>> Domain
>> > hierarchy, I have several problems concerning the nice URL in the
>> > Mediawiki-Installation. So the Domain is pointing directly to the Wiki
>> > instead to the Wordpress Blog.
>> >
>> > Can someone help? I would be highly appreciate that!
>> >
>> > uv

Re: Wordpress and Mediawiki Nice URL Problem

WJhonson
I believe Wordpress should *not* be on top of the domain heirarchy

I have a Mediawiki install, and I have a Wordpress install, and they both live in their own separate directories, one level down from the top.

The top page, I had to create myself, not from an install script.  It points at the lower level installs.

hello, has noone a solution for my problem ?

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Isabell Alcott <[hidden email]>wrote:

> yes, that would be the most easiest way to do it, but i dont like the
> solution over subdomains, so thats why.
>

> On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Leonard Wallentin <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Is there a reason you can't use seperate subdomains? Like blog.domain.comor
something for your Wordpress site.

>> /Leo
>> _______________Leonard [hidden email]@leo_wallentin+46
>> (0) 735 - 933 543
>>
>> > Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 13:38:21 +0200
>> > From: [hidden email]
>> > To: [hidden email]
>> > Subject: [MediaWiki-l] Wordpress and Mediawiki Nice URL Problem
>> >
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have the following problem:
>> >
>> > *www.domain.com* is a blog (wordpress)
>> > *www.domain.com/w/* is the Mediawiki installation
>> >
>> > I know the specifications concerning the .htaccess and the index to make
>> > the *www.domain.com/w/ *into a nice
>> > *www.domain.com/wiki/
>> >
>> > *Caused by the Wordpress Installation, which should be on top of the
>> Domain
>> > hierarchy, I have several problems concerning the nice URL in the
>> > Mediawiki-Installation. So the Domain is pointing directly to the Wiki
>> > instead to the Wordpress Blog.
>> >
>> > Can someone help? I would be highly appreciate that!
>> >
>> > uv

Re: Wordpress and Mediawiki Nice URL Problem

David Gerard-2
http://techrights.org sort of does it with a MediaWiki taking the front
page and WordPress URLs working as one would expect.

The MediaWiki does not use nice URLs, it uses /index.php/ .

I chatted with Roy on IRC when he was setting this up ... basically, it was
a string of arcane rewrite rules which he got right by trial and error.
mod_rewrite is basically evil :-) There's not a contact email address, but
you might be able to ask on #techrights on Freenode IRC.

- d.

On 14 August 2013 21:48, Wjhonson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I believe Wordpress should *not* be on top of the domain heirarchy
>
> I have a Mediawiki install, and I have a Wordpress install, and they both
> live in their own separate directories, one level down from the top.
>
> The top page, I had to create myself, not from an install script.  It
> points at the lower level installs.

Robert Cummings
I'll second Wjhonson's statement. By placing both MW and WP in
sub-folders and using an index at the root folder, you can easily choose
either of them to be the default target by redirecting when the root
index is accessed. I would generalize this to other applications also.
It's a clean approach and prevents one application from having to reside
in another application's space.

Cheers,
Rob.

On 13-08-14 04:48 PM, Wjhonson wrote:

> I believe Wordpress should *not* be on top of the domain heirarchy
>
> I have a Mediawiki install, and I have a Wordpress install, and they both live in their own separate directories, one level down from the top.
>
> The top page, I had to create myself, not from an install script.  It points at the lower level installs.

E-Mail Disclaimer: Information contained in this message and any
attached documents is considered confidential and legally protected.
This message is intended solely for the addressee(s). Disclosure,
copying, and distribution are prohibited unless authorized.

Re: Wordpress and Mediawiki Nice URL Problem

Isabell Alcott-2
ok, that sounds like a clear install.

is it also possible to autoredirect to the wordpress installation ?

On 14 August 2013 23:56, Isabell Alcott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ok, that sounds like a clear install.
> is it also possible to autoredirect to the wordpress installation ?

Probably. http://techrights.org redirects to
http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page - but
http://techrights.org/?stories goes to the WordPress front page. So
you should be able to redirect it anywhere you want to, with a
sufficiently horrible string of rewrite rules.

- d.

Re: Wordpress and Mediawiki Nice URL Problem

WJhonson
If you don't like www.mysite.com/wiki
how about wiki.mysite.com and wordpress.mysite.com ?

is it also possible to autoredirect to the wordpress installation ?

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 12:48 AM, Robert Cummings <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I'll second Wjhonson's statement. By placing both MW and WP in sub-folders
> and using an index at the root folder, you can easily choose either of them
> to be the default target by redirecting when the root index is accessed. I
> would generalize this to other applications also. It's a clean approach and
> prevents one application from having to reside in another application's
> space.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob.
>

> On 13-08-14 04:48 PM, Wjhonson wrote:
>
>> I believe Wordpress should *not* be on top of the domain heirarchy
>>
>> I have a Mediawiki install, and I have a Wordpress install, and they both
>> live in their own separate directories, one level down from the top.
>>
>> The top page, I had to create myself, not from an install script.  It
>> points at the lower level installs.

Hello Wjhonson:

I like:

mysite.com/wiki/Article
mysite.com/blog

and would like to redirect automatically to mysite.com/blog

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 12:59 AM, Wjhonson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you don't like www.mysite.com/wiki
> how about wiki.mysite.com and wordpress.mysite.com ?

If you just want that funny looking "index" to go away, I seem to recall there's a simple fix for that.
But I dont' recall the simple fix.

www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual%3aShort_URL

If your Wordpress install was put at the top level, and that's the issue, you might have to uninstall and reinstall it, for all I know.  (All I don't know much.)

Can you give an example of the URL that the Wordpress uses now?  I mean a specific page URL ?
Not sure anymore what the issue is....

and would like to redirect automatically to mysite.com/blog

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 12:59 AM, Wjhonson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you don't like www.mysite.com/wiki
> how about wiki.mysite.com and wordpress.mysite.com ?

Hi Isabell,

At the root of your site create an index file and in it place the
following code:

<?php

header( 'Location: http://www.mysite.com/blog' );

?>

That's it... just replace "www.mysite.com" with your own domain :)

Cheers,
Rob.

On 13-08-14 07:02 PM, Isabell Alcott wrote:

> Hello Wjhonson:
>
> I like:
>
> mysite.com/wiki/Article
> mysite.com/blog
>
> and would like to redirect automatically to mysite.com/blog
>

> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 12:59 AM, Wjhonson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If you don't like www.mysite.com/wiki
>> how about wiki.mysite.com and wordpress.mysite.com ?

Sorry.. should have explicitly said create an index file named index.php

Cheers,
Rob.

On 13-08-14 07:51 PM, Robert Cummings wrote:

> Hi Isabell,
>
> At the root of your site create an index file and in it place the
> following code:
>
> <?php
>
> header( 'Location: http://www.mysite.com/blog' );
>
> ?>
>
> That's it... just replace "www.mysite.com" with your own domain :)
>
> Cheers,
> Rob.
>

> On 13-08-14 07:02 PM, Isabell Alcott wrote:
>> Hello Wjhonson:
>>
>> I like:
>>
>> mysite.com/wiki/Article
>> mysite.com/blog
>>
>> and would like to redirect automatically to mysite.com/blog
>>

>> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 12:59 AM, Wjhonson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> If you don't like www.mysite.com/wiki
>>> how about wiki.mysite.com and wordpress.mysite.com ?

[MediaWiki-l] Question regarding extensions to use for site security

Shirley Hicks
Good evening everyone,
First post from a newbie.

I'm relatively new to wikis, currently administering my second one ever on behalf of the Red Mountain Makers, http://wiki.redmountainmakers.org.
I just completed a rather large spam cleanup, caused by our failure to install security and anti-spam extensions.

Ended up doing it the way that specifically MediaWiki specifically advises against, editing the user and page tables, as the volume was really, really high.
The wiki database is now knocked back down to a reasonable size, but I'm wondering what extensions and tactics users of MediaWiki 1.19.7 find the most useful for controlling spam?

I've installed and configured the bad-behavior, SpamBlackList, ConfirmAccount, Nuke & UserAdmin extensions. The User Admin script is broken and I haven't yet started to trace that to see if I can fix it to work with this wiki version.

Advice? Ideas?

-- Shirley Hicks

Re: Question regarding extensions to use for site security

Alex Monk
I find that an abuse filter (through the AbuseFilter extension) that simply
forces new users trying to add links to confirm their edit works quite well.

Alex

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 1:06 AM, Shirley Hicks
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Good evening everyone,
> First post from a newbie.
>
> I'm relatively new to wikis, currently administering my second one ever on
> behalf of the Red Mountain Makers, http://wiki.redmountainmakers.org.
> I just completed a rather large spam cleanup, caused by our failure to
> install security and anti-spam extensions.
>
> Ended up doing it the way that specifically MediaWiki specifically advises
> against, editing the user and page tables, as the volume was really, really
> high.
> The wiki database is now knocked back down to a reasonable size, but I'm
> wondering what extensions and tactics users of MediaWiki 1.19.7 find the
> most useful for controlling spam?
>
> I've installed and configured the bad-behavior, SpamBlackList,
> ConfirmAccount, Nuke & UserAdmin extensions. The User Admin script is
> broken and I haven't yet started to trace that to see if I can fix it to
> work with this wiki version.
>
> Advice? Ideas?
>
> -- Shirley Hicks

Re: Wordpress and Mediawiki Nice URL Problem

Isabell Alcott-2
Thank you so much, Robert, but this has no effect on my site because I have
"nice URL's" on my Mediawiki Installation. The .htaccess looks like this:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www.mydomain.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.mydomain.com/$1 [L,R=301]

RewriteRule ^/?wiki/(.*)$ /w/index.php?title=$1 [PT,L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^/?wiki/*$ /w/index.php [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^/*$ /w/index.php [L,QSA]

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 1:53 AM, Robert Cummings <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Sorry.. should have explicitly said create an index file named index.php
>
> Cheers,
> Rob.
>

> On 13-08-14 07:51 PM, Robert Cummings wrote:
>
>> Hi Isabell,
>>
>> At the root of your site create an index file and in it place the
>> following code:
>>
>> <?php
>>
>> header( 'Location: http://www.mysite.com/blog' );
>>
>> ?>
>>
>> That's it... just replace "www.mysite.com" with your own domain :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rob.
>>

>> On 13-08-14 07:02 PM, Isabell Alcott wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Wjhonson:
>>>
>>> I like:
>>>
>>> mysite.com/wiki/Article
>>> mysite.com/blog
>>>
>>> and would like to redirect automatically to mysite.com/blog
>>>

>>> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 12:59 AM, Wjhonson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>  If you don't like www.mysite.com/wiki

I think it's your last rewrite rule:

     RewriteRule ^/*$ /w/index.php [L,QSA]

If I'm not mistaken that's taking requests to the following:

     http://www.mydomain.com
     http://www.mydomain.com/

and forwarding them on to your wiki. It should be safe to remove (or
comment out) that line.

Cheers,
Rob.

On 13-08-15 05:43 AM, Isabell Alcott wrote:

> Thank you so much, Robert, but this has no effect on my site because I have
> "nice URL's" on my Mediawiki Installation. The .htaccess looks like this:
>
> RewriteEngine on
> RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www.mydomain.com$ [NC]
> RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.mydomain.com/$1 [L,R=301]
>

> RewriteRule ^/?wiki/(.*)$ /w/index.php?title=$1 [PT,L,QSA]
> RewriteRule ^/?wiki/*$ /w/index.php [L,QSA]
> RewriteRule ^/*$ /w/index.php [L,QSA]
>

> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 1:53 AM, Robert Cummings <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Sorry.. should have explicitly said create an index file named index.php
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rob.
>>

>> On 13-08-14 07:51 PM, Robert Cummings wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Isabell,
>>>
>>> At the root of your site create an index file and in it place the
>>> following code:
>>>
>>> <?php
>>>
>>> header( 'Location: http://www.mysite.com/blog' );
>>>
>>> ?>
>>>
>>> That's it... just replace "www.mysite.com" with your own domain :)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Rob.

You're welcome. I'm glad you got it sorted out.

Cheers,
Rob.