[MediaWiki-l] apostrophe page names disappeared from wiki on migration

[MediaWiki-l] apostrophe page names disappeared from wiki on migration

Jorge Garcia Flores
Hi there... I have a wiki running like a charm for two years. Last month I
was trying to migrate to a brand new server, so I did the following:

1. Install mediawiki 1.26.0 on the new server
2. Upgrade from mediawiki 1.25.3 to 1.26.0 on the old server
3. Dump the old database on a .sql file
4. Load the database on the new server
5. Copy the files from the old to the new server

Everything works fine EXCEPT those pages with an apostrophe on the page
title, which send an

ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

error.

I have compared both the database character set and the storage engine and
their are the same... Could you help me guess what could be the problem.
The wiki is in French, so there are lots of pages with an apostrophe on
their name....

Cheers

PS: Both records are identical in both databases

SELECT default_character_set_name FROM information_schema.SCHEMATA
    -> WHERE schema_name = "wikircln";
+----------------------------+
| default_character_set_name |
+----------------------------+
| latin1                     |
+----------------------------+

page  | CREATE TABLE `page` (
  `page_id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  `page_namespace` int(11) NOT NULL,
  `page_title` varbinary(255) NOT NULL,
  `page_restrictions` tinyblob NOT NULL,
  `page_is_redirect` tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
  `page_is_new` tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
  `page_random` double unsigned NOT NULL,
  `page_touched` binary(14) NOT NULL DEFAULT '\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0',
  `page_latest` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
  `page_len` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
  `page_content_model` varbinary(32) DEFAULT NULL,
  `page_links_updated` varbinary(14) DEFAULT NULL,
  `page_lang` varbinary(35) DEFAULT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY (`page_id`),
  UNIQUE KEY `name_title` (`page_namespace`,`page_title`),
  KEY `page_random` (`page_random`),
  KEY `page_len` (`page_len`),
  KEY `page_redirect_namespace_len`
(`page_is_redirect`,`page_namespace`,`page_len`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB AUTO_INCREMENT=155 DEFAULT CHARSET=binary |

Re: apostrophe page names disappeared from wiki on migration

John Doe-27
Can you view them using the revision id ? IE oldid=xxxxxx

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Jorge Garcia Flores <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there... I have a wiki running like a charm for two years. Last month I
> was trying to migrate to a brand new server, so I did the following:
>
> 1. Install mediawiki 1.26.0 on the new server
> 2. Upgrade from mediawiki 1.25.3 to 1.26.0 on the old server
> 3. Dump the old database on a .sql file
> 4. Load the database on the new server
> 5. Copy the files from the old to the new server
>
> Everything works fine EXCEPT those pages with an apostrophe on the page
> title, which send an
>
> ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS
>
> error.
>
> I have compared both the database character set and the storage engine and
> their are the same... Could you help me guess what could be the problem.
> The wiki is in French, so there are lots of pages with an apostrophe on
> their name....
>
> Cheers
>
> PS: Both records are identical in both databases
>

> SELECT default_character_set_name FROM information_schema.SCHEMATA
>     -> WHERE schema_name = "wikircln";
> +----------------------------+
> | default_character_set_name |
> +----------------------------+
> | latin1                     |
> +----------------------------+
>
> page  | CREATE TABLE `page` (
>   `page_id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
>   `page_namespace` int(11) NOT NULL,
>   `page_title` varbinary(255) NOT NULL,
>   `page_restrictions` tinyblob NOT NULL,
>   `page_is_redirect` tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
>   `page_is_new` tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
>   `page_random` double unsigned NOT NULL,
>   `page_touched` binary(14) NOT NULL DEFAULT
> '\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0',
>   `page_latest` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
>   `page_len` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
>   `page_content_model` varbinary(32) DEFAULT NULL,
>   `page_links_updated` varbinary(14) DEFAULT NULL,
>   `page_lang` varbinary(35) DEFAULT NULL,
>   PRIMARY KEY (`page_id`),
>   UNIQUE KEY `name_title` (`page_namespace`,`page_title`),
>   KEY `page_random` (`page_random`),
>   KEY `page_len` (`page_len`),
>   KEY `page_redirect_namespace_len`
> (`page_is_redirect`,`page_namespace`,`page_len`)
> ) ENGINE=InnoDB AUTO_INCREMENT=155 DEFAULT CHARSET=binary |

Re: apostrophe page names disappeared from wiki on migration

Isarra Yos
If this is what I think it is, the pages are still there; they just
can't be accessed by some web browsers now because mediawiki handles url
sanitisation differently, which winds up being redundant with the
browsers' own handling. And trying to fix it for these browsers broke it
for different ones, which are apparently higher-priority.

Somehow wikimedia seems to have worked around this (probably by using
caching so that the browsers never hit it in the first place), but I'm
still encountering the problem on my own wikis. Unless the problem
persists with other browsers, though, I don't know what to say, as this
isn't apparently a problem people consider worth solving. (When the
original fix was reverted, I just had to rename all the pages I had that
had apostrophes, but as a solution that's pretty damn stupid.)

Unfortunately now I can't actually find any of the associated bugs.

-I

On 27/01/16 16:48, Jorge Garcia Flores wrote:

> Hi there... I have a wiki running like a charm for two years. Last month I
> was trying to migrate to a brand new server, so I did the following:
>
> 1. Install mediawiki 1.26.0 on the new server
> 2. Upgrade from mediawiki 1.25.3 to 1.26.0 on the old server
> 3. Dump the old database on a .sql file
> 4. Load the database on the new server
> 5. Copy the files from the old to the new server
>
> Everything works fine EXCEPT those pages with an apostrophe on the page
> title, which send an
>
> ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS
>
> error.
>
> I have compared both the database character set and the storage engine and
> their are the same... Could you help me guess what could be the problem.
> The wiki is in French, so there are lots of pages with an apostrophe on
> their name....
>
> Cheers
>
> PS: Both records are identical in both databases
>

> SELECT default_character_set_name FROM information_schema.SCHEMATA
>      -> WHERE schema_name = "wikircln";
> +----------------------------+
> | default_character_set_name |
> +----------------------------+
> | latin1                     |
> +----------------------------+
>
> page  | CREATE TABLE `page` (
>    `page_id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
>    `page_namespace` int(11) NOT NULL,
>    `page_title` varbinary(255) NOT NULL,
>    `page_restrictions` tinyblob NOT NULL,
>    `page_is_redirect` tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
>    `page_is_new` tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
>    `page_random` double unsigned NOT NULL,
>    `page_touched` binary(14) NOT NULL DEFAULT '\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0',
>    `page_latest` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
>    `page_len` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
>    `page_content_model` varbinary(32) DEFAULT NULL,
>    `page_links_updated` varbinary(14) DEFAULT NULL,
>    `page_lang` varbinary(35) DEFAULT NULL,
>    PRIMARY KEY (`page_id`),
>    UNIQUE KEY `name_title` (`page_namespace`,`page_title`),
>    KEY `page_random` (`page_random`),
>    KEY `page_len` (`page_len`),
>    KEY `page_redirect_namespace_len`
> (`page_is_redirect`,`page_namespace`,`page_len`)
> ) ENGINE=InnoDB AUTO_INCREMENT=155 DEFAULT CHARSET=binary |

Re: apostrophe page names disappeared from wiki on migration

Jorge Garcia Flores
Thanks for your answers.

@John I don't knonw how to build an URL to see the pages with the revision
ID (I tried avec URL&action=query but It didn't work) but I know the
apostrophe pages are there because I can see the page titles in the page
tables

@Isarra.Yos Thanks for your answer... I'll have to re-create them....

Cheers

> [...]
>>    `page_restrictions` tinyblob NOT NULL,
>>    `page_is_redirect` tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
>>    `page_is_new` tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
>>    `page_random` double unsigned NOT NULL,
>>    `page_touched` binary(14) NOT NULL DEFAULT
>> '\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0',
>>    `page_latest` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
>>    `page_len` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
>>    `page_content_model` varbinary(32) DEFAULT NULL,
>>    `page_links_updated` varbinary(14) DEFAULT NULL,
>>    `page_lang` varbinary(35) DEFAULT NULL,
>>    PRIMARY KEY (`page_id`),
>>    UNIQUE KEY `name_title` (`page_namespace`,`page_title`),
>>    KEY `page_random` (`page_random`),
>>    KEY `page_len` (`page_len`),
>>    KEY `page_redirect_namespace_len`
>> (`page_is_redirect`,`page_namespace`,`page_len`)
>> ) ENGINE=InnoDB AUTO_INCREMENT=155 DEFAULT CHARSET=binary |

Re: apostrophe page names disappeared from wiki on migration

Seriously, try a different browser. If it doesn't work in any (current
firefox, chromium, whatever), the problem is being caused by something
else. If it does work, though, you should be able to use that to get at
them at least...

On 28/01/16 10:48, Jorge Garcia Flores wrote:

> [...]
>>>     `page_restrictions` tinyblob NOT NULL,
>>>     `page_is_redirect` tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
>>>     `page_is_new` tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
>>>     `page_random` double unsigned NOT NULL,
>>>     `page_touched` binary(14) NOT NULL DEFAULT
>>> '\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0',
>>>     `page_latest` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
>>>     `page_len` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
>>>     `page_content_model` varbinary(32) DEFAULT NULL,
>>>     `page_links_updated` varbinary(14) DEFAULT NULL,
>>>     `page_lang` varbinary(35) DEFAULT NULL,
>>>     PRIMARY KEY (`page_id`),
>>>     UNIQUE KEY `name_title` (`page_namespace`,`page_title`),
>>>     KEY `page_random` (`page_random`),
>>>     KEY `page_len` (`page_len`),
>>>     KEY `page_redirect_namespace_len`
>>> (`page_is_redirect`,`page_namespace`,`page_len`)
>>> ) ENGINE=InnoDB AUTO_INCREMENT=155 DEFAULT CHARSET=binary |

Re: apostrophe page names disappeared from wiki on migration

Here is an example of what I was talking about
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=701406177 you will need to look
up the page_latest in the database for one of the pages, and use that as
the ID number.

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 6:42 AM, Isarra Yos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Seriously, try a different browser. If it doesn't work in any (current
> firefox, chromium, whatever), the problem is being caused by something
> else. If it does work, though, you should be able to use that to get at
> them at least...
>

> On 28/01/16 10:48, Jorge Garcia Flores wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your answers.
>>
>> @John I don't knonw how to build an URL to see the pages with the revision
>> ID (I tried avec URL&action=query but It didn't work) but I know the
>> apostrophe pages are there because I can see the page titles in the page
>> tables
>>
>> @Isarra.Yos Thanks for your answer... I'll have to re-create them....
>>
>> Cheers

>> If this is what I think it is, the pages are still there; they just can't
>>> be accessed by some web browsers now because mediawiki handles url
>>> sanitisation differently, which winds up being redundant with the
>>> browsers'
>>> own handling. And trying to fix it for these browsers broke it for
>>> different ones, which are apparently higher-priority.
>>>
>>> Somehow wikimedia seems to have worked around this (probably by using
>>> caching so that the browsers never hit it in the first place), but I'm
>>> still encountering the problem on my own wikis. Unless the problem
>>> persists
>>> with other browsers, though, I don't know what to say, as this isn't
>>> apparently a problem people consider worth solving. (When the original
>>> fix
>>> was reverted, I just had to rename all the pages I had that had
>>> apostrophes, but as a solution that's pretty damn stupid.)
>>>
>>> Unfortunately now I can't actually find any of the associated bugs.
>>>
>>> -I
>>>

>>> On 27/01/16 16:48, Jorge Garcia Flores wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi there... I have a wiki running like a charm for two years. Last month

Re: apostrophe page names disappeared from wiki on migration

Platonides
Actually, you probably can access the page with an "ugly url":
  index.php?title=pagetitle

Which http server are you using? Can we see your wiki?

FTR, I had similar problems with an intermediate nginx normalising urls
in one way, and mediawiki thus ending with the "infinite redirect"
problem (none of them was really doing things "wrong", but ended up
warring).

Re: apostrophe page names disappeared from wiki on migration

Jorge Garcia Flores
tal.lipn.univ-paris13.fr/wiki/

El 06/02/16 23:09, Jorge Garcia Flores escribió:
> tal.lipn.univ-paris13.fr/wiki/

You don't specify your server, but from the headers, it identifies
itself as Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu).

Do you have any kind of rewriting rule in htaccess / server config?
They aren't needed with the way you have urls configured, but they could
be interfering

Also, the workaround I mentioned does work:

> http://tal.lipn.univ-paris13.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Annotation_d%27un_texte_%C3%A0_partir_d%27une_ontologie_avec_Annotator&foo

Regards

Re: apostrophe page names disappeared from wiki on migration

Jorge Garcia Flores
I don't think there are rewriting rules, bit let me ask the web master...

And thanks for the workaround!

Cheers