[MediaWiki-l] https

Jan Steinman
> From: "Scheid, Bernhard" <[hidden email]>
>
> For unknown reasons, google sometimes refers to my wiki-pages by using https instead of http. The result is that the page is displayed, but without css. Any advice how to prevent this?

I doubt Google is making this up.

That means that there are links out there that refer to your site with https. Hunt them down and kill them.

Otherwise, if you have control of your server, you can simply enable https as well as http. It isn't terribly difficult.

:::: I suggest you locate your hot tub outside your house, so it won't do too much damage if it catches fire or explodes. First you decide which direction your hot tub should face for maximum solar energy. After much trial and error, I have found that the best direction for a hot tub to face is up. -- Dave Barry

Re: https

Tom Hutchison
Just use .htaccess to rewrite incoming https to http and send a 301 back.  Tom

> From: "Scheid, Bernhard" <[hidden email]>
>
> For unknown reasons, google sometimes refers to my wiki-pages by using https instead of http. The result is that the page is displayed, but without css. Any advice how to prevent this?

I doubt Google is making this up.

That means that there are links out there that refer to your site with https. Hunt them down and kill them.

Otherwise, if you have control of your server, you can simply enable https as well as http. It isn't terribly difficult.

:::: I suggest you locate your hot tub outside your house, so it won't do too much damage if it catches fire or explodes. First you decide which direction your hot tub should face for maximum solar energy. After much trial and error, I have found that the best direction for a hot tub to face is up. -- Dave Barry

Re: https

Jonathan Aquilina
Why do that when you can just use a redirect in an apache vhost accept the
connection on http and redirect it to https. If the person is already using
vhosts that is very easy to implement

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 9:43 PM, Tom Hutchison <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just use .htaccess to rewrite incoming https to http and send a 301 back.
> Tom
>

> > From: "Scheid, Bernhard" <[hidden email]>
> >
> > For unknown reasons, google sometimes refers to my wiki-pages by using
> https instead of http. The result is that the page is displayed, but
> without css. Any advice how to prevent this?
>
> I doubt Google is making this up.
>
> That means that there are links out there that refer to your site with
> https. Hunt them down and kill them.
>
> Otherwise, if you have control of your server, you can simply enable https
> as well as http. It isn't terribly difficult.
>
> :::: I suggest you locate your hot tub outside your house, so it won't do
> too much damage if it catches fire or explodes. First you decide which
> direction your hot tub should face for maximum solar energy. After much
> trial and error, I have found that the best direction for a hot tub to face
> is up. -- Dave Barry
> :::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality Co-op ::::

Jonathan Aquilina

Re: https

Tom Hutchison

Re: https

Scheid, Bernhard
Thank all who took care of the topic. In the moment I am waiting for a response by the server admin. Will be back as soon as I know more myself...

Bernhard

>Why do that when you can just use a redirect in an apache vhost accept
>the connection on http and redirect it to https. If the person is
>already using vhosts that is very easy to implement
??? Not addressing the real problem. The original question was...

 > From: "Scheid, Bernhard" <[hidden email]>  >  > For unknown reasons, google sometimes refers to my wiki-pages by using  >https instead of http. The result is that the page is displayed, but  >without css. Any advice how to prevent this?

There was no mention of his setup, host he was using, if he had a SSL cert, if no SSL cert (host misconfiguration?), https login only, etc...
how many links? 5 or 50.

Did you set $wgServer ? Canonicals should always point to what you prefer in indexing, http or https? Are both the https and http page versions both indexed? Double indexing same content hurts Google rankings. Same as http://www vs. http:// would.

Google should not index https unless https is available. So, Mark was long term best suggestion of finding and updating the links to https.
Pretty easy to find who is linking to the pages.  50 links? If there are a lot, bigger issue.

I would say at this point, Bernhard, we need more information.

Tom

Re: https

Scheid, Bernhard
I must confess that I do not know how to "hunt down" and kill the https-Links. There is no other reasonable explanation than that they are created by my own system (either Wiki or internal Google search), but I do not see where.

If you want to check it out, just go to
http://www.univie.ac.at/rel_jap/an/
and ask for "Buddha" in the search box. You will see that among the results, there are several https links

This has not been the case three years ago when I started the Wiki-version of this page.

As to why I am using Google Custom search, the main reason is that I use additional code elements for hyphenation that are not understood by the wiki search. But apart from that, I am not too happy with Wiki search at all. But this is another story....

Bernhard

>Why do that when you can just use a redirect in an apache vhost accept
>the
>connection on http and redirect it to https. If the person is already
>using
>vhosts that is very easy to implement
??? Not addressing the real problem. The original question was...

 > From: "Scheid, Bernhard" <[hidden email]>
 >
 > For unknown reasons, google sometimes refers to my wiki-pages by using
 >https instead of http. The result is that the page is displayed, but
 >without css. Any advice how to prevent this?

There was no mention of his setup, host he was using, if he had a SSL
cert, if no SSL cert (host misconfiguration?), https login only, etc...
how many links? 5 or 50.

Did you set $wgServer ? Canonicals should always point to what you
prefer in indexing, http or https? Are both the https and http page
versions both indexed? Double indexing same content hurts Google
rankings. Same as http://www vs. http:// would.

Google should not index https unless https is available. So, Mark was
long term best suggestion of finding and updating the links to https.
Pretty easy to find who is linking to the pages.  50 links? If there are
a lot, bigger issue.

I would say at this point, Bernhard, we need more information.

Tom

Re: https

Tom Hutchison

>If you want to check it out, just go to
>http://www.univie.ac.at/rel_jap/an/
>and ask for "Buddha" in the search box. You will see that among the
>results, there are several https links
Well, the SSL cert question is answered.  Looks like you are on a
University server in a subfolder so I would imagine they must have a SSL
cert for the main domain. Also looks like you are on a wiki farm.
http://www.univie.ac.at/rel_jap/ takes you to a landing page of other
wikis.

How much control of the site do you have? Are you sharing one
installation? How did you install your own custom skin?

Tom

Re: https

Scheid, Bernhard
The other wikis are also mine.
The rel_jap/an.. Wiki is on a special server, separate from the others, which is faster.
I did the wiki setup etc. by myself and can edit the LocalSettings.php.
I can also edit and change .httaccess, but have no direct access to the server or MYSQL, not even by phpadmin.
The "skin" is all done by custom.css and other files in the MediaWiki namespace (to ensure migration on update).

I do not know what SSL cert means...

Bernhard

>and ask for "Buddha" in the search box. You will see that among the
>results, there are several https links
Well, the SSL cert question is answered.  Looks like you are on a University server in a subfolder so I would imagine they must have a SSL cert for the main domain. Also looks like you are on a wiki farm.
http://www.univie.ac.at/rel_jap/ takes you to a landing page of other wikis.

How much control of the site do you have? Are you sharing one installation? How did you install your own custom skin?

Tom

Re: https

Scheid, Bernhard
PS:
$wgServer = "http://www.univie.ac.at";

>and ask for "Buddha" in the search box. You will see that among the
>results, there are several https links
Well, the SSL cert question is answered.  Looks like you are on a University server in a subfolder so I would imagine they must have a SSL cert for the main domain. Also looks like you are on a wiki farm.
http://www.univie.ac.at/rel_jap/ takes you to a landing page of other wikis.

How much control of the site do you have? Are you sharing one installation? How did you install your own custom skin?

Tom

Re: https

Tom Hutchison
Sounds like you should just use the htaccess rewrite from an https to http.  Lots of links for how tos. You'll have to adapt it into your current one for mw rewrites.   Tom

PS:
$wgServer = "http://www.univie.ac.at";

>and ask for "Buddha" in the search box. You will see that among the
>results, there are several https links

Well, the SSL cert question is answered.  Looks like you are on a University server in a subfolder so I would imagine they must have a SSL cert for the main domain. Also looks like you are on a wiki farm.
http://www.univie.ac.at/rel_jap/ takes you to a landing page of other wikis.

How much control of the site do you have? Are you sharing one installation? How did you install your own custom skin?

Tom

[MediaWiki-l] once more on https

Scheid, Bernhard
As I posted last month, my wiki does not render https requests correctly: It renders them without CSS. Since Google sends visitors to my pages over https frequently, this has become a problem.
See, for instance,

http://www.univie.ac.at/rel_jap/an/Spezial:Version
and
https://www.univie.ac.at/rel_jap/an/Spezial:Version

The reason is given in the following error message:

[blocked] The page at 'https://www.univie.ac.at/rel_jap/an/Spezial:Version' was loaded over HTTPS, but ran insecure content from 'http://www.univie.ac.at/rel_jap/w/load.php?debug=false&lang=de-formal&modul…awiki.legacy.commonPrint%2Cshared%7Cskins.vector&only=styles&skin=vector&*': this content should also be loaded over HTTPS.

How can I configure my wiki in a way that CSS files etc. are also loaded over HTTPS in case of need?

Re: once more on https

gerx03
Set $wgServer to a protocol relative url, e.g. $wgServer = "//
www.univie.ac.at";
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgServer

> As I posted last month, my wiki does not render https requests correctly:
> It renders them without CSS. Since Google sends visitors to my pages over
> https frequently, this has become a problem.
> See, for instance,
>
> http://www.univie.ac.at/rel_jap/an/Spezial:Version
> and
> https://www.univie.ac.at/rel_jap/an/Spezial:Version
>
> The reason is given in the following error message:
>
> [blocked] The page at 'https://www.univie.ac.at/rel_jap/an/Spezial:Version'
> was loaded over HTTPS, but ran insecure content from '
> http://www.univie.ac.at/rel_jap/w/load.php?debug=false&lang=de-formal&modul…awiki.legacy.commonPrint%2Cshared%7Cskins.vector&only=styles&skin=vector&*':
> this content should also be loaded over HTTPS.
>
> How can I configure my wiki in a way that CSS files etc. are also loaded
> over HTTPS in case of need?

Re: once more on https

Scheid, Bernhard
Thank you so much! $wgServer = "//www.univie.ac.at"; did the trick!