[MediaWiki-l] noob question: how to get a basic "Note" template to work?

[MediaWiki-l] noob question: how to get a basic "Note" template to work?

Frank Rueter | OHUfx
Hi,

I am slightly embarrassed to ask this but I am a total web dev noob and
after a lot of searching online I still can't figure out how to deploy
the most basic template for a "Note" template as seen here.
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Note>
All the docs I can find talk about writing your own templates or
exporting/importing them from other pages etc.

Is this actually required to get simple note box going like the examples
on the above page (coloured box with simple icon)?
I would have thought this sort of basic stuff is included in the default
installation but clearly I am missing something.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
frank

--
ohufxLogo 50x50 <http://www.ohufx.com> *vfx compositing
<http://ohufx.com/index.php/vfx-compositing> | *workflow customisation

Re: noob question: how to get a basic "Note" template to work?

Manuela
Hi Frank,

for me this special page helps a lot:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:ExpandTemplates

Enter following text into the input box:

{{note|Foo}}
{{note|Foo|reminder}}
{{note|Foo|error}}
{{note|Foo|gotcha}}
{{tip|Foo}}
{{note}} Loose test

and check out the result.
There is still a lot of work to be done because of the css-classes used,
check out the talk-page of the template:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template_talk:Note

After defining the appropriate classes in your common.css you might define a
template like this:

padding-left: 40px;" class="{{#switch:{{{2|info}}}
|info=note-info
|reminder=note-reminder
|error|gotcha=note-error
|#default=}}" >{{{1|Foo}}}</div>

hth
Manuela

--
Sent from: http://mediawiki-i.429.n8.nabble.com/

Re: noob question: how to get a basic "Note" template to work?

Frank Rueter | OHUfx
Thanks a lot Manuela!
I will look at defining the simple css classes required to make those
examples work.
I was just under the impression that these would already exist in the
default install.

Will give it a go, thanks again!

frank

On 28/01/19 8:42 PM, Manuela wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> for me this special page helps a lot:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:ExpandTemplates
>
> Enter following text into the input box:
>
> {{note|Foo}}
> {{note|Foo|reminder}}
> {{note|Foo|error}}
> {{note|Foo|gotcha}}
> {{tip|Foo}}
> {{note}} Loose test
>
> and check out the result.
> There is still a lot of work to be done because of the css-classes used,
> check out the talk-page of the template:
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template_talk:Note
>
> After defining the appropriate classes in your common.css you might define a
> template like this:

> padding-left: 40px;" class="{{#switch:{{{2|info}}}
> |info=note-info
> |reminder=note-reminder
> |error|gotcha=note-error
> |#default=}}" >{{{1|Foo}}}</div>
>
> hth
> Manuela
>

> --
> Sent from: http://mediawiki-i.429.n8.nabble.com/

Re: noob question: how to get a basic "Note" template to work?

Frank Rueter | OHUfx
Hi Bryan,

this is precisely the missing documentation I was trying to find, thank
you so much!
I was on the right track (editing the template page manually) but didn't
know how to pass the use input.

This should be part of the official docs I reckon.

Thanks again, you made my day :)

Cheers,
frank