[MediaWiki-l] php rebuildFileCache.php

John Foster-2
Just a situation I find myself in. I recently started trying to improve the
speed of performance of my mediawiki site. To do so I installed varnish,
and set up memcached to run on that server. debian Linux 8 with php7  from
backports. Now I got all of the update done and checked to see that the
server was running OK: the last step was to rebuild the caching files using
the command php rebuildFileCache.php. I've used this before with no
complications however this time it filled up my entire diskdrive 923GB and
I'm not sure what to do the clean up my mess. The entire system will boot
up but the drive is so bloated that I cant even log in in the xterminal
desktop. I do have full access as root on the regular terminal.
I would really appreciate any tips to handle this.
Thanks

--
John Foster

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Re: php rebuildFileCache.php

Jeff Darlington
If you're using rebuildFileCache.php, you probably have
$wgFileCacheDirectory set to specify the location of the cache files.  Log
in as root and clean out that directory, and that should clear up the
immediate problem so you can get back in.

Unfortunately, I don't use varnish so I have no idea what you need to do
next.  It seems odd that the file cache would fill up like that.  Just how
many articles are in your wiki?

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 10:29 PM, John Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just a situation I find myself in. I recently started trying to improve the
> speed of performance of my mediawiki site. To do so I installed varnish,
> and set up memcached to run on that server. debian Linux 8 with php7  from
> backports. Now I got all of the update done and checked to see that the
> server was running OK: the last step was to rebuild the caching files using
> the command php rebuildFileCache.php. I've used this before with no
> complications however this time it filled up my entire diskdrive 923GB and
> I'm not sure what to do the clean up my mess. The entire system will boot
> up but the drive is so bloated that I cant even log in in the xterminal
> desktop. I do have full access as root on the regular terminal.
> I would really appreciate any tips to handle this.
> Thanks
>
> --
> John Foster

> medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_
> content=webmail&utm_term=oa-3177-b>
> medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_
> content=webmail&utm_term=oa-3177-b>

Re: php rebuildFileCache.php

John Foster-2
Thanks Jeff. I'll give that a try. The size of the database is
intermediate, I think. I'v got about 30,000 articles with a crap load of
mathematics embedded in them. As I said this is my first issue that I've
not been able to get resolved quickly.

On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 6:52 AM, Jeff Darlington <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> If you're using rebuildFileCache.php, you probably have
> $wgFileCacheDirectory set to specify the location of the cache files.  Log
> in as root and clean out that directory, and that should clear up the
> immediate problem so you can get back in.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't use varnish so I have no idea what you need to do
> next.  It seems odd that the file cache would fill up like that.  Just how
> many articles are in your wiki?
>
> On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 10:29 PM, John Foster <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Just a situation I find myself in. I recently started trying to improve
> the
> > speed of performance of my mediawiki site. To do so I installed varnish,
> > and set up memcached to run on that server. debian Linux 8 with php7
> from
> > backports. Now I got all of the update done and checked to see that the
> > server was running OK: the last step was to rebuild the caching files
> using
> > the command php rebuildFileCache.php. I've used this before with no
> > complications however this time it filled up my entire diskdrive 923GB
> and
> > I'm not sure what to do the clean up my mess. The entire system will boot
> > up but the drive is so bloated that I cant even log in in the xterminal
> > desktop. I do have full access as root on the regular terminal.
> > I would really appreciate any tips to handle this.
> > Thanks
> >
> > --
> > John Foster

> > medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_
> > content=webmail&utm_term=oa-3177-b>
> > medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_
> > content=webmail&utm_term=oa-3177-b>

John Foster

Re: php rebuildFileCache.php

Florian Schmidt
Hi,

the question would be: Why do you want to use the rebuildFileCache.php maintenance script? What is the goal you want to achieve? Varnish does (from what I remember when I last setup varnish for MediaWiki) not need the file cache, which is built in MediaWiki, and all these files and caching capabilities would be doubled, as they're already delivered with varnish. Have you followed the (maybe already very outdated) documentation on mediawiki.org:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Varnish_caching
?

A bit more details of your configuration would probably help, too :)

Best,
Florian

-----Original-Nachricht-----
Betreff: Re: [MediaWiki-l] php rebuildFileCache.php
Datum: 2017-07-04T15:16:51+0200
Von: "John Foster" <[hidden email]>
An: "MediaWiki announcements and site admin list" <[hidden email]>

wrote:

> If you're using rebuildFileCache.php, you probably have
> $wgFileCacheDirectory set to specify the location of the cache files.  Log
> in as root and clean out that directory, and that should clear up the
> immediate problem so you can get back in.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't use varnish so I have no idea what you need to do
> next.  It seems odd that the file cache would fill up like that.  Just how
> many articles are in your wiki?
>
> On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 10:29 PM, John Foster <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Just a situation I find myself in. I recently started trying to improve
> the
> > speed of performance of my mediawiki site. To do so I installed varnish,
> > and set up memcached to run on that server. debian Linux 8 with php7
> from
> > backports. Now I got all of the update done and checked to see that the
> > server was running OK: the last step was to rebuild the caching files
> using
> > the command php rebuildFileCache.php. I've used this before with no
> > complications however this time it filled up my entire diskdrive 923GB
> and
> > I'm not sure what to do the clean up my mess. The entire system will boot
> > up but the drive is so bloated that I cant even log in in the xterminal
> > desktop. I do have full access as root on the regular terminal.
> > I would really appreciate any tips to handle this.
> > Thanks
> >
> > --
> > John Foster

> > medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_
> > content=webmail&utm_term=oa-3177-b>
> > medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_
> > content=webmail&utm_term=oa-3177-b>

John Foster

Re: php rebuildFileCache.php

Brian Wolff
This is more a generic sysadmin question.

First step is figure out where all your diskspace has gone - run the command:

du | sort

to find out (The command will list space usage in all the
subdirectories of the current directory). Delete files as necessary.
Obviously be careful you don't delete anything important.

As Florian said, using file cache and varnish at the same time makes
no sense. varnish does the same thing as file cache, but much better.
Having both enabled will just make things slower. You should only have
varnish enabled.

--
Brian