[MediaWiki-l] please stop this (2)

chembiomed@yahoo.com
also it appears here:
nabble.com
and whoever knows where else...
please delete all instances of my email in web
thanks

Re: please stop this (2)

Platonides
On 26/11/12 12:57, [hidden email] wrote:
> also it appears here:
> nabble.com
> and whoever knows where else...
> please delete all instances of my email in web
> thanks

You are writing to a mailing list with thousands of subscribers.
It is publicly archived. If you do not want your email address to appear
there, you should stop posting here, as well as asking each of those
archives to remove your posts. We have no control over them.

Re: please stop this (2)

chembiomed@yahoo.com
Can you tell me please which are these archives?

thanks

On 26-Nov-12 16:58, Platonides wrote:

> On 26/11/12 12:57, [hidden email] wrote:
>> also it appears here:
>> nabble.com
>> and whoever knows where else...
>> please delete all instances of my email in web
>> thanks
> You are writing to a mailing list with thousands of subscribers.
> It is publicly archived. If you do not want your email address to appear
> there, you should stop posting here, as well as asking each of those
> archives to remove your posts. We have no control over them.

Re: please stop this (2)

Stephen Villano
There are at least dozens of sites that archive mailing lists.
The easiest way to find them is to google your e-mail address, then contact the sites displayed to request removal.

On Nov 28, 2012, at 6:48 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Can you tell me please which are these archives?
>
> thanks
>
> On 26-Nov-12 16:58, Platonides wrote:
>> On 26/11/12 12:57, [hidden email] wrote:
>>> also it appears here:
>>> nabble.com
>>> and whoever knows where else...
>>> please delete all instances of my email in web
>>> thanks
>> You are writing to a mailing list with thousands of subscribers.
>> It is publicly archived. If you do not want your email address to appear
>> there, you should stop posting here, as well as asking each of those
>> archives to remove your posts. We have no control over them.

Re: please stop this (2)

Yury Katkov
It's also nice to think why such a request is annoying, wrong and can
(must?) be ignored.
-----
Yury Katkov, WikiVote

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM, Stephen Villano
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are at least dozens of sites that archive mailing lists.
> The easiest way to find them is to google your e-mail address, then contact the sites displayed to request removal.
>
> On Nov 28, 2012, at 6:48 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Can you tell me please which are these archives?
>>
>> thanks

>>> You are writing to a mailing list with thousands of subscribers.
>>> It is publicly archived. If you do not want your email address to appear
>>> there, you should stop posting here, as well as asking each of those
>>> archives to remove your posts. We have no control over them.

Re: please stop this (2)

chembiomed@yahoo.com
why you are so impolite?
citing on the net your email address without your permission is not nice
that's why i always thought maillists to be, not only a paleolithic
fossil from the past that should be eradicated, but also a really bad thing
thank God, i am not the only one, since the majority of forums nowadays
are web-based
just use a username and hide your address!

On 28-Nov-12 15:55, Yury Katkov wrote:

> It's also nice to think why such a request is annoying, wrong and can
> (must?) be ignored.
> -----
> Yury Katkov, WikiVote
>

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM, Stephen Villano
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> There are at least dozens of sites that archive mailing lists.
>> The easiest way to find them is to google your e-mail address, then contact the sites displayed to request removal.
>>
>> On Nov 28, 2012, at 6:48 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> Can you tell me please which are these archives?
>>>
>>> thanks

Re: please stop this (2)

Thomas Dalton
On 28 November 2012 14:54, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> why you are so impolite?
> citing on the net your email address without your permission is not nice
> that's why i always thought maillists to be, not only a paleolithic fossil
> from the past that should be eradicated, but also a really bad thing
> thank God, i am not the only one, since the majority of forums nowadays are
> web-based
> just use a username and hide your address!

Then why are you posting to one?

You can always set up a free, throwaway account for using on mailing
lists - plenty of people do.

Re: please stop this (2)

Stephen Villano
Considering the high number of mailing lists that I'm on, it appears that you are incorrect in your assessment on the status of mailing lists.
As in, I am on over 20 mailing lists. The majority of which are discussion based like this one is.

However, I was quite polite, as one other responder was polite as well. We refrained from commenting on the exhibition of sheer ignorance regarding internet archives, public searches, the inability of a single mailing list to edit the ENTIRE INTERNET, etc.
Meanwhile, you continue to post, you continue to be archived in dozens of sites across the planet.
And those archives are quite persistent, I have looked up posts from the late 1980's that I've made with other e-mail addresses.

On Nov 28, 2012, at 9:54 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> why you are so impolite?
> citing on the net your email address without your permission is not nice
> that's why i always thought maillists to be, not only a paleolithic fossil from the past that should be eradicated, but also a really bad thing
> thank God, i am not the only one, since the majority of forums nowadays are web-based
> just use a username and hide your address!
>
> On 28-Nov-12 15:55, Yury Katkov wrote:
>> It's also nice to think why such a request is annoying, wrong and can
>> (must?) be ignored.
>> -----
>> Yury Katkov, WikiVote
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM, Stephen Villano
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> There are at least dozens of sites that archive mailing lists.
>>> The easiest way to find them is to google your e-mail address, then contact the sites displayed to request removal.

Re: please stop this (2)

Anne Wilson-4

Re: please stop this (2)

Platonides
On 28/11/12 15:54, chembiomed wrote:
> why you are so impolite?
> citing on the net your email address without your permission is not nice
> that's why i always thought maillists to be, not only a paleolithic
> fossil from the past that should be eradicated, but also a really bad thing
> thank God, i am not the only one, since the majority of forums nowadays
> are web-based
> just use a username and hide your address!

Well, *you* are publishing your email address.
Note however that many of those archives implement measures to make
harder harvesting of email addresses, such as requiring filling a
captcha before displaying it.

Also, you have your email client (thunderbird) configured for showing as
your name your email address. Not exactly the best for hiding your
email, as it becomes the only identifier to refer to you.

Interestingly, the archive you complained about, nabble, allows posting
to the mailing list from their website. Thus making mor elike forums.

Re: please stop this (2)

jidanni

AW> Mailing list archives serve a very important purpose.  People who have
AW> problems search archives for posts about similar problems.  From there
AW> they may learn cures for their problem, or they may just learn how to
AW> find the relevant information.

I wish these lists were put back directly in Google.