[MediaWiki-l] "Edit their own user page" right

[MediaWiki-l] "Edit their own user page" right

rkevans
Hi .. Happy Monday.. I see in the list of user rights there is a set of rights that relate permit a user to change/view things related only to themselves (i.e.: editmyusercss, viewmywatchlist, etc..) .. but I don't see a right that allows a user to edit their own user page (and subpages) for the user namespace. Editing in the "User" namespace seems to be all-or-nothing. Is it possible to allow a user to edit their own user page, but not any other user's page? Thanks!

-Rich

Re: "Edit their own user page" right

Amanda Quad
Hi,
Sorry, an official userright for this does not exist.
However, there is https://mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AuthorProtect that could be applied to user pages — however that extension would likely need some customizing in order to be functional for non-admins.
Regards,Amanda

On Monday, November 13, 2017, 12:40 PM, Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi .. Happy Monday.. I see in the list of user rights there is a set of rights that relate permit a user to change/view things related only to themselves (i.e.: editmyusercss, viewmywatchlist, etc..) .. but I don't see a right that allows a user to edit their own user page (and subpages) for the user namespace. Editing in the "User" namespace seems to be all-or-nothing. Is it possible to allow a user to edit their own user page, but not any other user's page? Thanks!

-Rich

Re: "Edit their own user page" right

kghbln
Heiya Rich,

the "UserPageEditProtection" extension may be something for you.

Cheers Karsten

[0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:UserPageEditProtection

Am 13.11.2017 um 18:40 schrieb Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000):
> Hi .. Happy Monday.. I see in the list of user rights there is a set of rights that relate permit a user to change/view things related only to themselves (i.e.: editmyusercss, viewmywatchlist, etc..) .. but I don't see a right that allows a user to edit their own user page (and subpages) for the user namespace. Editing in the "User" namespace seems to be all-or-nothing. Is it possible to allow a user to edit their own user page, but not any other user's page? Thanks!
>
> -Rich

Re: "Edit their own user page" right

rkevans
Thanks guys..

Amanda, wrt there not being an "editmyuserpage" right... bummer.

Right now I am using the Extension "CreateUserPage" to automatically create a user's page upon first visit, I would like them to be able to edit it without any hassle, but also to have it automatically protected from being edited by others without any hassle as well. I was hoping to do this with a simple group rights variable. I think "Extension:UserPageEditProtection" is exactly what I'm looking for.. and "Extension:AuthorProtect" may be useful to me as well. Thank you both!

-Rich

Re: "Edit their own user page" right

Amanda Quad
You could also set up an edit filter if you are using the AbuseFilter extension to prevent edits to other user’s user pages. The English Wikipedia is currently using an edit filter to prevent unregistered and non-autoconfirmed registered users from editing any user page except their own:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:AbuseFilter/803
— Amanda

On Monday, November 13, 2017, 1:19 PM, Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks guys..

Amanda, wrt there not being an "editmyuserpage" right... bummer.

Right now I am using the Extension "CreateUserPage" to automatically create a user's page upon first visit, I would like them to be able to edit it without any hassle, but also to have it automatically protected from being edited by others without any hassle as well. I was hoping to do this with a simple group rights variable. I think "Extension:UserPageEditProtection" is exactly what I'm looking for.. and "Extension:AuthorProtect" may be useful to me as well. Thank you both!

-Rich

Re: "Edit their own user page" right

chris tharp-2
Hi Karsten & Rich,

Karsten, I just about to suggest this extension, but I was wondering has anyone checked it since 1.27+ has came out? A lot of the access control extensions stopped working since 1.27 (Lockdown, SemanticACL, to name two) so I'm curious if this one still works. I haven't updated my wikis largely because Lockdown stopped working.

Sent from my iPad