Quantcast

[MediaWiki-l] "Working with MediaWiki" 2nd edition now available (including for free)

[MediaWiki-l] "Working with MediaWiki" 2nd edition now available (including for free)

Yaron Koren-2
Hi everyone,

I'm happy to announce that the 2nd edition of my MediaWiki reference book,
"Working with MediaWiki", has been released. This is the only MediaWiki
reference book published since 2010, as far as I know, so it's the de facto
authoritative reference for MediaWiki - other than the contents of
mediawiki.org.

"Working with MediaWiki" was first released in 2012, and an updated version
was released in 2014, but this is the official 2nd edition.

Changes in this 2nd edition include:
- A new foreword by Daniel Robbins, founder of Gentoo Linux and Funtoo Linux
- Much of the content on Semantic MediaWiki was replaced by content on the
Cargo extension, which I think is now the better solution for data storage
- Lots of other updated content to handle the various changes to the
software in the last three years.

The biggest change, though, is that the book is now available for free
online. Given MediaWiki's presence in both the open source and "open
knowledge" worlds, I'm excited to have this book be similarly freely
available.

It's also still available (at cost), though, in printed and e-book forms.
If this were six months from now, I would say that the book makes a great
holiday gift, but instead I'll say that it makes for great beach reading.

You can read more about "Working with MediaWiki" here:

http://workingwithmediawiki.com

And the entire book can now be viewed here:

http://workingwithmediawiki.com/book

-Yaron

Re: "Working with MediaWiki" 2nd edition now available (including for free)

Bill Traynor-2
Having purchased and read the first edition, I highly recommend this
book.  It's nice to see it updated and now free.  Thanks Yaron!  I'll
definitely be purchasing, as I know how difficult writing is.

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 11:09 AM, Yaron Koren <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm happy to announce that the 2nd edition of my MediaWiki reference book,
> "Working with MediaWiki", has been released. This is the only MediaWiki
> reference book published since 2010, as far as I know, so it's the de facto
> authoritative reference for MediaWiki - other than the contents of
> mediawiki.org.
>
> "Working with MediaWiki" was first released in 2012, and an updated version
> was released in 2014, but this is the official 2nd edition.
>
> Changes in this 2nd edition include:
> - A new foreword by Daniel Robbins, founder of Gentoo Linux and Funtoo Linux
> - Much of the content on Semantic MediaWiki was replaced by content on the
> Cargo extension, which I think is now the better solution for data storage
> - Lots of other updated content to handle the various changes to the
> software in the last three years.
>
> The biggest change, though, is that the book is now available for free
> online. Given MediaWiki's presence in both the open source and "open
> knowledge" worlds, I'm excited to have this book be similarly freely
> available.
>
> It's also still available (at cost), though, in printed and e-book forms.
> If this were six months from now, I would say that the book makes a great
> holiday gift, but instead I'll say that it makes for great beach reading.
>
> You can read more about "Working with MediaWiki" here:
>
> http://workingwithmediawiki.com
>
> And the entire book can now be viewed here:
>
> http://workingwithmediawiki.com/book
>
> -Yaron

Re: "Working with MediaWiki" 2nd edition now available (including for free)

Pine W
This book sounds like it may end up on my summer reading least, or at least
as reference material on my bookshelf. (There are times when I prefer
physical books to digital ones.) Thanks!

Pine

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Bill Traynor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Having purchased and read the first edition, I highly recommend this
> book.  It's nice to see it updated and now free.  Thanks Yaron!  I'll
> definitely be purchasing, as I know how difficult writing is.
>
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 11:09 AM, Yaron Koren <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm happy to announce that the 2nd edition of my MediaWiki reference
> book,
> > "Working with MediaWiki", has been released. This is the only MediaWiki
> > reference book published since 2010, as far as I know, so it's the de
> facto
> > authoritative reference for MediaWiki - other than the contents of
> > mediawiki.org.
> >
> > "Working with MediaWiki" was first released in 2012, and an updated
> version
> > was released in 2014, but this is the official 2nd edition.
> >
> > Changes in this 2nd edition include:
> > - A new foreword by Daniel Robbins, founder of Gentoo Linux and Funtoo
> Linux
> > - Much of the content on Semantic MediaWiki was replaced by content on
> the
> > Cargo extension, which I think is now the better solution for data
> storage
> > - Lots of other updated content to handle the various changes to the
> > software in the last three years.
> >
> > The biggest change, though, is that the book is now available for free
> > online. Given MediaWiki's presence in both the open source and "open
> > knowledge" worlds, I'm excited to have this book be similarly freely
> > available.
> >
> > It's also still available (at cost), though, in printed and e-book forms.
> > If this were six months from now, I would say that the book makes a great
> > holiday gift, but instead I'll say that it makes for great beach reading.
> >
> > You can read more about "Working with MediaWiki" here:
> >
> > http://workingwithmediawiki.com
> >
> > And the entire book can now be viewed here:
> >
> > http://workingwithmediawiki.com/book
> >
> > -Yaron
> >
> > --
> > WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · http://wikiworks.com

Re: "Working with MediaWiki" 2nd edition now available (including for free)

Richard

I bought the older O'Reilly book a few years ago (ten? sheesh, I'm
getting old) when I setup my terminals wiki.

Obviously this book is newer and more updated than the O'Reilly one,
but I'd be curious to see how it compared to the O'Reilly one
otherwise if someone has read them both.

Thanks.
            The Terminals Wiki <http://terminals-wiki.org>

Re: "Working with MediaWiki" 2nd edition now available (including for free)

Bill Traynor-2
I've owned and read them both.  The o'reilly book was great when it
came out.  I still occasionally use the fold out markup cheat sheet
that came with it.  But Yaron's first book came at a time when
MediaWiki had really moved forward, and it would appear that this new
revision is doing the same.

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Richard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I bought the older O'Reilly book a few years ago (ten? sheesh, I'm
> getting old) when I setup my terminals wiki.
>
> Obviously this book is newer and more updated than the O'Reilly one,
> but I'd be curious to see how it compared to the O'Reilly one
> otherwise if someone has read them both.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> "The Direct3D Graphics Pipeline" free book <http://tinyurl.com/d3d-pipeline>
>             The Terminals Wiki <http://terminals-wiki.org>
>      The Computer Graphics Museum <http://ComputerGraphicsMuseum.org>
>   Legalize Adulthood! (my blog) <http://LegalizeAdulthood.wordpress.com>

Re: "Working with MediaWiki" 2nd edition now available (including for free)

Daniel Barrett-3
Richard wrote:
>Obviously [Yaron's] book is newer and more updated than the O'Reilly
>one, but I'd be curious to see how it compared to the O'Reilly one
>otherwise if someone has read them both.

Hi, I wrote the O'Reilly book.

Yaron's book is surely more current with Mediawiki syntax and development practices.
Go buy it. :-)

Where my book stands out, even today, is in coverage of the practical, big-picture issues
of planning, rolling out, and maintaining a wiki in a large, corporate environment.
(For example, see Chapter 10, "Practical wiki design.")  My team at Vistaprint runs possibly
the largest and most successful corporate wiki in the U.S. if not the world.
It's 10 years old this Friday and has 250K topics, thousands of users, 100+ custom extensions,
and a full-time software development staff since its inception. So we've accumulated a lot
of wisdom, and I tried to distill some of it into the book.

FYI, my direct report, Daniel Renfro, presented on some of our work and our current
challenges at EMWcon last week.

DanB

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 1:23 PM, Daniel Barrett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Richard wrote:
>>Obviously [Yaron's] book is newer and more updated than the O'Reilly
>>one, but I'd be curious to see how it compared to the O'Reilly one
>>otherwise if someone has read them both.
>
> Hi, I wrote the O'Reilly book.
>
> Yaron's book is surely more current with Mediawiki syntax and development practices.
> Go buy it. :-)
>
> Where my book stands out, even today, is in coverage of the practical, big-picture issues
> of planning, rolling out, and maintaining a wiki in a large, corporate environment.
> (For example, see Chapter 10, "Practical wiki design.")  My team at Vistaprint runs possibly
> the largest and most successful corporate wiki in the U.S. if not the world.
> It's 10 years old this Friday and has 250K topics, thousands of users, 100+ custom extensions,
> and a full-time software development staff since its inception. So we've accumulated a lot
> of wisdom, and I tried to distill some of it into the book.

Your book saved me on many occasions.

> FYI, my direct report, Daniel Renfro, presented on some of our work and our current
> challenges at EMWcon last week.

Were these talks recorded by any chance?  I'd love to watch them.

> DanB

Re: "Working with MediaWiki" 2nd edition now available (including for free)

Luis Miguel Morillas
Hi, Bill,

Here [1] you can get the links to the streaming

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/EMWCon_Spring_2017

Saludos,

-- luismiguel  (@lmorillas)

> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 1:23 PM, Daniel Barrett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Richard wrote:
>>>Obviously [Yaron's] book is newer and more updated than the O'Reilly
>>>one, but I'd be curious to see how it compared to the O'Reilly one
>>>otherwise if someone has read them both.
>>
>> Hi, I wrote the O'Reilly book.
>>
>> Yaron's book is surely more current with Mediawiki syntax and development practices.
>> Go buy it. :-)
>>
>> Where my book stands out, even today, is in coverage of the practical, big-picture issues
>> of planning, rolling out, and maintaining a wiki in a large, corporate environment.
>> (For example, see Chapter 10, "Practical wiki design.")  My team at Vistaprint runs possibly
>> the largest and most successful corporate wiki in the U.S. if not the world.
>> It's 10 years old this Friday and has 250K topics, thousands of users, 100+ custom extensions,
>> and a full-time software development staff since its inception. So we've accumulated a lot
>> of wisdom, and I tried to distill some of it into the book.
>
> Your book saved me on many occasions.
>

>> FYI, my direct report, Daniel Renfro, presented on some of our work and our current
>> challenges at EMWcon last week.
>
> Were these talks recorded by any chance?  I'd love to watch them.
>

>> DanB

Re: "Working with MediaWiki" 2nd edition now available (including for free)

Richard

In article <[hidden email]>,
    Daniel Barrett <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi, I wrote the O'Reilly book.

THanks for that book, Daniel!  It really helped me quite a bit in
setting up my terminals wiki.  It was indispensible in learning how to
import templates from wikipedia and how to write my own fairly complex
templates.
            The Terminals Wiki <http://terminals-wiki.org>