[MediaWiki-l] recommended way to email all users in a small private EMW

[MediaWiki-l] recommended way to email all users in a small private EMW

rkevans
Hello,

I run a small (< 500 users), private Sematic Mediawiki application (MW-1.28.2) in an enterprise environment with Echo and Flow (v1.1). All my users are authenticated via RemoteAuth and have automatically populated and verified email addresses.. and I have forced them to have the "receive email from the wiki" preference set to True.

That said, I would like to send out an email to ALL my users informing them of outages, etc..
What is currently the best approach to doing so?

Having searched and read on the topic, it is not clear to me what the most approved method might be. An extension? If so which one? Is there a method using Echo? If so, how?

Thank you!
-Rich

Re: recommended way to email all users in a small private EMW

Mark A. Hershberger-4
"Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000)" <[hidden email]> writes:

> That said, I would like to send out an email to ALL my users informing
> them of outages, etc..  What is currently the best approach to doing
> so?

We've used a prominently displayed sitenotice for this.  This has the
advantage of notifying those who use the wiki regularly.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Interface/Sitenotice

Mark.

--
Mark A. Hershberger
NicheWork LLC

Re: recommended way to email all users in a small private EMW

Isarra Yos
I'm not sure there is any particular approved method - any extension
would only be pulling out the addresses and putting them somewhere else
you can access, if one of your intended use cases is outages (yes, you
could use an on-wiki extension to announce a planned outage, but if
something goes wrong and the site isn't yet back up as planned, or the
whole thing wasn't planned, it's not going to do much good for informing
everyone about that). Simplest solution might be to just fetch all the
addresses directly from the database and bcc the lot, but there's
probably more elegant approaches if you want to look into pairing the
wiki with a mailing list or stuff...

-I