[MediaWiki-l] server-side sync of a namespace from wiki1 to wiki2

[MediaWiki-l] server-side sync of a namespace from wiki1 to wiki2

rkevans
anyone know how to sync the pages of a namespace in one wiki to another wiki on the same server?

I the same server, I'd like to configure a wiki (say wiki 1) such that any page created or edited in namespace X on wiki 1 is automatically saved to namespace Y on wiki 2. I'd like this to be occur behind the scenes automatically. Has anyone done this before?

-Rich

Re: server-side sync of a namespace from wiki1 to wiki2

Brian Wolff
The closest thing i know of is extension:Push, but its not really a match
with what you want.

Theres generally 3 approaches to doing something like that:
* shell out to edit.php command line script
* use job queue (jobs can be inserted to foreign wiki if queue configured
right)
* post to api.

Ive been experimenting with my own thing based on our discussion at emwcon.
Ill try to put that on wiki sometime soon.

--
brian

On Thursday, June 21, 2018, Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000) <
[hidden email]> wrote:
> anyone know how to sync the pages of a namespace in one wiki to another
wiki on the same server?

> I the same server, I'd like to configure a wiki (say wiki 1) such that
any page created or edited in namespace X on wiki 1 is automatically saved
to namespace Y on wiki 2. I'd like this to be occur behind the scenes
automatically. Has anyone done this before?

> -Rich

Re: server-side sync of a namespace from wiki1 to wiki2

nischay nahata
You can get this done using https://github.com/nischayn22/wikiImporter
however it might need some work if the namespaces are different on both the
wikis.

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018, 12:56 AM Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> anyone know how to sync the pages of a namespace in one wiki to another
> wiki on the same server?
>
> I the same server, I'd like to configure a wiki (say wiki 1) such that any
> page created or edited in namespace X on wiki 1 is automatically saved to
> namespace Y on wiki 2. I'd like this to be occur behind the scenes
> automatically. Has anyone done this before?
>
> -Rich

Re: server-side sync of a namespace from wiki1 to wiki2

Brian Wolff
I posted the extension I was working on at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SplitPrivateWiki

--
Brian

On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 8:47 PM, Brian Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The closest thing i know of is extension:Push, but its not really a match
> with what you want.
>
> Theres generally 3 approaches to doing something like that:
> * shell out to edit.php command line script
> * use job queue (jobs can be inserted to foreign wiki if queue configured
> right)
> * post to api.
>

> Ive been experimenting with my own thing based on our discussion at emwcon.
> Ill try to put that on wiki sometime soon.
>
> --
> brian
>

> On Thursday, June 21, 2018, Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> anyone know how to sync the pages of a namespace in one wiki to another
>> wiki on the same server?
>>
>> I the same server, I'd like to configure a wiki (say wiki 1) such that any
>> page created or edited in namespace X on wiki 1 is automatically saved to
>> namespace Y on wiki 2. I'd like this to be occur behind the scenes
>> automatically. Has anyone done this before?
>>
>> -Rich

Re: server-side sync of a namespace from wiki1 to wiki2

rkevans
These are great options. Thanks for the responses.

I think i have conflated a few separate goals that I'd like to clarify here:
1) A hook-based extension to sync pages between wikis when they are edited (aka a "real-time edit-triggered push")
2) An admin script to sync an entire namespace at once to use in a cron job.
3) A way to make some namespaces public and others private

Brian's "SplitPrivateWiki" extension is a nearly perfect solution for #3

Nischay's "wikiImporter" script is a nearly perfect solution for #2

I'm actually going to experiment with an installation that uses both of these solutions at once.

I am still very interested in a solution for #1 above. I'm wondering if I might be able to modify the "HelpPages" or "GlobalUserPage" extensions [0,1] to be usable for arbitrary namespaces.

[0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:HelpPages
[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:GlobalUserPage

I do feel like I am converging on a solution :-D
-Rich

On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 8:47 PM, Brian Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The closest thing i know of is extension:Push, but its not really a
> match with what you want.
>
> Theres generally 3 approaches to doing something like that:
> * shell out to edit.php command line script
> * use job queue (jobs can be inserted to foreign wiki if queue
> configured
> right)
> * post to api.
>

> Ive been experimenting with my own thing based on our discussion at emwcon.
> Ill try to put that on wiki sometime soon.
>
> --
> brian
>

> On Thursday, June 21, 2018, Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> anyone know how to sync the pages of a namespace in one wiki to
>> another wiki on the same server?
>>
>> I the same server, I'd like to configure a wiki (say wiki 1) such
>> that any page created or edited in namespace X on wiki 1 is
>> automatically saved to namespace Y on wiki 2. I'd like this to be
>> occur behind the scenes automatically. Has anyone done this before?
>>
>> -Rich

Re: server-side sync of a namespace from wiki1 to wiki2

Martin Urbanec
Hello,

you can use https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Hooks for #1. AFAICS you
don't need any extension, as you can attach to hooks in LocalSettings.php.

Martin

po 9. 7. 2018 v 16:06 odesílatel Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000) <
[hidden email]> napsal:

> These are great options. Thanks for the responses.
>
> I think i have conflated a few separate goals that I'd like to clarify
> here:
> 1) A hook-based extension to sync pages between wikis when they are edited
> (aka a "real-time edit-triggered push")
> 2) An admin script to sync an entire namespace at once to use in a cron
> job.
> 3) A way to make some namespaces public and others private
>
> Brian's "SplitPrivateWiki" extension is a nearly perfect solution for #3
>
> Nischay's "wikiImporter" script is a nearly perfect solution for #2
>
> I'm actually going to experiment with an installation that uses both of
> these solutions at once.
>
> I am still very interested in a solution for #1 above. I'm wondering if I
> might be able to modify the "HelpPages" or "GlobalUserPage" extensions
> [0,1] to be usable for arbitrary namespaces.
>
> [0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:HelpPages
> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:GlobalUserPage
>
> I do feel like I am converging on a solution :-D
> -Rich

Indeed. Yes, but the code that the hooks would run is not something I'm able to write. Do you have any suggestions on how to write a hook-based extension that performs a "real-time edit-triggered push". That's the thing I'm looking for help with.

-Rich

po 9. 7. 2018 v 16:06 odesílatel Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000) < [hidden email]> napsal:

> These are great options. Thanks for the responses.
>
> I think i have conflated a few separate goals that I'd like to clarify
> here:
> 1) A hook-based extension to sync pages between wikis when they are
> edited (aka a "real-time edit-triggered push")
> 2) An admin script to sync an entire namespace at once to use in a
> cron job.
> 3) A way to make some namespaces public and others private
>
> Brian's "SplitPrivateWiki" extension is a nearly perfect solution for
>
> Nischay's "wikiImporter" script is a nearly perfect solution for #2
>
> I'm actually going to experiment with an installation that uses both
> of these solutions at once.
>
> I am still very interested in a solution for #1 above. I'm wondering
> if I might be able to modify the "HelpPages" or "GlobalUserPage"
> extensions [0,1] to be usable for arbitrary namespaces.
>
> [0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:HelpPages
> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:GlobalUserPage
>
> I do feel like I am converging on a solution :-D -Rich

My thingy should do point number 1 (if job queue is being processed properly)

--
Brian

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 2:04 PM, Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> These are great options. Thanks for the responses.
>
> I think i have conflated a few separate goals that I'd like to clarify here:
> 1) A hook-based extension to sync pages between wikis when they are edited (aka a "real-time edit-triggered push")
> 2) An admin script to sync an entire namespace at once to use in a cron job.
> 3) A way to make some namespaces public and others private
>
> Brian's "SplitPrivateWiki" extension is a nearly perfect solution for #3
>
> Nischay's "wikiImporter" script is a nearly perfect solution for #2
>
> I'm actually going to experiment with an installation that uses both of these solutions at once.
>
> I am still very interested in a solution for #1 above. I'm wondering if I might be able to modify the "HelpPages" or "GlobalUserPage" extensions [0,1] to be usable for arbitrary namespaces.
>
> [0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:HelpPages
> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:GlobalUserPage
>
> I do feel like I am converging on a solution :-D
> -Rich

Ohhhhh..... :-)

My thingy should do point number 1 (if job queue is being processed properly)

--
Brian

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 2:04 PM, Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> These are great options. Thanks for the responses.
>
> I think i have conflated a few separate goals that I'd like to clarify here:
> 1) A hook-based extension to sync pages between wikis when they are
> edited (aka a "real-time edit-triggered push")
> 2) An admin script to sync an entire namespace at once to use in a cron job.
> 3) A way to make some namespaces public and others private
>
> Brian's "SplitPrivateWiki" extension is a nearly perfect solution for
>
> Nischay's "wikiImporter" script is a nearly perfect solution for #2
>
> I'm actually going to experiment with an installation that uses both of these solutions at once.
>
> I am still very interested in a solution for #1 above. I'm wondering if I might be able to modify the "HelpPages" or "GlobalUserPage" extensions [0,1] to be usable for arbitrary namespaces.
>
> [0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:HelpPages
> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:GlobalUserPage
>
> I do feel like I am converging on a solution :-D -Rich

I have been working on an extension version of wikiImporter where it should
have few live update features soon.
The extension is already there:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Sync

Regards,