[MediaWiki-l] title only search and display

[MediaWiki-l] title only search and display

Denis Hainsworth
I've been trying to find the right way to do this, unsure if its easy
and if so what the easiest way to go about it would be
(api,extension,skin,etc)  mediawiki is almost too configurable.

Meidawiki with cirrussearch is pretty good, however I miss one big thing
from our previous moinmoin setup and thats a quick simple search and
display of wiki article titles.

What I would like is a button which will take the string from the search
field in mediawiki, perform a title search to grab any article with that
string in the title and disaply all the articles , titles only, in
alphabetic order.

Any suggestions if such a thing already exists or what my best avenue to
approach this would be given the various ways one can modify mediawiki ?

appreciate any thoughts on the topic.
we have a fairly small private wiki so this kind of search works really
well, for myself at least.

Re: title only search and display

Chad
On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 2:03 PM Denis Hainsworth <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I've been trying to find the right way to do this, unsure if its easy
> and if so what the easiest way to go about it would be
> (api,extension,skin,etc)  mediawiki is almost too configurable.
>
> Meidawiki with cirrussearch is pretty good, however I miss one big thing
> from our previous moinmoin setup and thats a quick simple search and
> display of wiki article titles.
>
> What I would like is a button which will take the string from the search
> field in mediawiki, perform a title search to grab any article with that
> string in the title and disaply all the articles , titles only, in
> alphabetic order.
>
> Any suggestions if such a thing already exists or what my best avenue to
> approach this would be given the various ways one can modify mediawiki ?
>
> appreciate any thoughts on the topic.
> we have a fairly small private wiki so this kind of search works really
> well, for myself at least.

You'll want to use the "intitle:" operator in the search field. So if you
search
for "intitle:Oatmeal" it'll only return results with Oatmeal in the title :)

If you're wanting just a list, no snippets or anything like on
Special:Search,
you could do this via the API.

-Chad

Re: title only search and display

Denis Hainsworth
Still working on the easiest solution.  Found

/Special:PrefixIndex

This is very close to what I want though instead of prefix I want to
return a list of any page with a string in the name case insensitive.

Better option may still be some combination of api/js/css

-denis

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 10:07:39PM +0000, Chad wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 2:03 PM Denis Hainsworth <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I've been trying to find the right way to do this, unsure if its easy
> > and if so what the easiest way to go about it would be
> > (api,extension,skin,etc)  mediawiki is almost too configurable.
> >
> > Meidawiki with cirrussearch is pretty good, however I miss one big thing
> > from our previous moinmoin setup and thats a quick simple search and
> > display of wiki article titles.
> >
> > What I would like is a button which will take the string from the search
> > field in mediawiki, perform a title search to grab any article with that
> > string in the title and disaply all the articles , titles only, in
> > alphabetic order.
> >
> > Any suggestions if such a thing already exists or what my best avenue to
> > approach this would be given the various ways one can modify mediawiki ?
> >
> > appreciate any thoughts on the topic.
> > we have a fairly small private wiki so this kind of search works really
> > well, for myself at least.
> >

> You'll want to use the "intitle:" operator in the search field. So if you
> search
> for "intitle:Oatmeal" it'll only return results with Oatmeal in the title :)
>
> If you're wanting just a list, no snippets or anything like on
> Special:Search,
> you could do this via the API.
>
> -Chad

Re: title only search and display

Denis Hainsworth
Well I came up with a horrible hack but it gets me back to work.

Added custom js to put a link in the side bar. this link goes to a
cgi-bin I have on another server which is just a form that takes an
argument and greps a file of titles I keep up to date by scraping the
wiki via the all pages api.  I'm not the admin of the wiki, and it was
going to take to long to figure out a more sane way of doing what I
wanted.

-denis