[MediaWiki-l] $wgServer and short URL's

stephen sutcliffe
Hi,

I'm just starting out building a Wiki and I'm a little confused. I would
like to be able to access my Wiki both within my home network and
externally over the internet. If I set $wgServer in LocalSettings.php  to "
http://192.168.1.100" my intranet works as expected. Entering
"192.168.1.100" resolves to http://192.168.1.100/wiki/Main_Page and
everything works as expected complete with the vector theme. Obviously this
poses a problem if I try to access my wiki over the intranet as it can't
connect to 192.168.1.100.

if I set $wgServer to my registered domain name and try and access the wiki
externally everything works as expected but if i access the wiki internally
I have two different issues. If I try to use my domain name this ends up
pointing to my router admin page so the resolved name i.e with
"/wiki/Main_Page" appended does not exist on my router . If I use the i.p
address directly i.e http://192.168.1.100/wiki/Main_Page the web page is
displayed but I loose the vector theme. i,e it just has very basic
formatting. Navigating seems to work fine and images are displayed I just
don't get any nice formatting.

Sorry if this has rambled on but I didn't quite know hot to put it
eloquently. What configuration do I need to get my wiki to display properly
when accessed both internally and externally via the internet? I presume if
I could move my routers admin page away from port 80 this might solve the
issue but this isn't an option on my router.

Thanks

Re: $wgServer and short URL's

John Doe-27
It's called port forwarding almost all routers should have that

On Tuesday, November 12, 2013, stephen sutcliffe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm just starting out building a Wiki and I'm a little confused. I would
> like to be able to access my Wiki both within my home network and
> externally over the internet. If I set $wgServer in LocalSettings.php  to "
> http://192.168.1.100" my intranet works as expected. Entering
> "192.168.1.100" resolves to http://192.168.1.100/wiki/Main_Page and
> everything works as expected complete with the vector theme. Obviously this
> poses a problem if I try to access my wiki over the intranet as it can't
> connect to 192.168.1.100.
>
> if I set $wgServer to my registered domain name and try and access the wiki
> externally everything works as expected but if i access the wiki internally
> I have two different issues. If I try to use my domain name this ends up
> pointing to my router admin page so the resolved name i.e with
> "/wiki/Main_Page" appended does not exist on my router . If I use the i.p
> address directly i.e http://192.168.1.100/wiki/Main_Page the web page is
> displayed but I loose the vector theme. i,e it just has very basic
> formatting. Navigating seems to work fine and images are displayed I just
> don't get any nice formatting.
>
> Sorry if this has rambled on but I didn't quite know hot to put it
> eloquently. What configuration do I need to get my wiki to display properly
> when accessed both internally and externally via the internet? I presume if
> I could move my routers admin page away from port 80 this might solve the
> issue but this isn't an option on my router.
>
> Thanks

Re: $wgServer and short URL's

John Doe-27
I've got a similar setup and I just checked I don't have that variable set

On Tuesday, November 12, 2013, John wrote:

> It's called port forwarding almost all routers should have that
>
> On Tuesday, November 12, 2013, stephen sutcliffe wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm just starting out building a Wiki and I'm a little confused. I would
>> like to be able to access my Wiki both within my home network and
>> externally over the internet. If I set $wgServer in LocalSettings.php  to
>> "
>> http://192.168.1.100" my intranet works as expected. Entering
>> "192.168.1.100" resolves to http://192.168.1.100/wiki/Main_Page and
>> everything works as expected complete with the vector theme. Obviously
>> this
>> poses a problem if I try to access my wiki over the intranet as it can't
>> connect to 192.168.1.100.
>>
>> if I set $wgServer to my registered domain name and try and access the
>> wiki
>> externally everything works as expected but if i access the wiki
>> internally
>> I have two different issues. If I try to use my domain name this ends up
>> pointing to my router admin page so the resolved name i.e with
>> "/wiki/Main_Page" appended does not exist on my router . If I use the i.p
>> address directly i.e http://192.168.1.100/wiki/Main_Page the web page is
>> displayed but I loose the vector theme. i,e it just has very basic
>> formatting. Navigating seems to work fine and images are displayed I just
>> don't get any nice formatting.
>>
>> Sorry if this has rambled on but I didn't quite know hot to put it
>> eloquently. What configuration do I need to get my wiki to display
>> properly
>> when accessed both internally and externally via the internet? I presume
>> if
>> I could move my routers admin page away from port 80 this might solve the
>> issue but this isn't an option on my router.
>>
>> Thanks

Re: $wgServer and short URL's

stephen sutcliffe
I have a port forwarding rule on my router which forwards port 80 to port
80 on the machine running my wiki.192.168.1.100

192.168.1.100
TCP

On 12 November 2013 17:33, John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's called port forwarding almost all routers should have that
>
> On Tuesday, November 12, 2013, stephen sutcliffe wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm just starting out building a Wiki and I'm a little confused. I would
> > like to be able to access my Wiki both within my home network and
> > externally over the internet. If I set $wgServer in LocalSettings.php
>  to "
> > http://192.168.1.100" my intranet works as expected. Entering
> > "192.168.1.100" resolves to http://192.168.1.100/wiki/Main_Page and
> > everything works as expected complete with the vector theme. Obviously
> this
> > poses a problem if I try to access my wiki over the intranet as it can't
> > connect to 192.168.1.100.
> >
> > if I set $wgServer to my registered domain name and try and access the
> wiki
> > externally everything works as expected but if i access the wiki
> internally
> > I have two different issues. If I try to use my domain name this ends up
> > pointing to my router admin page so the resolved name i.e with
> > "/wiki/Main_Page" appended does not exist on my router . If I use the i.p
> > address directly i.e http://192.168.1.100/wiki/Main_Page the web page is
> > displayed but I loose the vector theme. i,e it just has very basic
> > formatting. Navigating seems to work fine and images are displayed I just
> > don't get any nice formatting.
> >
> > Sorry if this has rambled on but I didn't quite know hot to put it
> > eloquently. What configuration do I need to get my wiki to display
> properly
> > when accessed both internally and externally via the internet? I presume
> if
> > I could move my routers admin page away from port 80 this might solve the
> > issue but this isn't an option on my router.
> >
> > Thanks

Re: $wgServer and short URL's

stephen sutcliffe
Interesting! if I don't set $wgServer I get the same behaviour if I access
the wiki internally and via the intranet. Unfortunately I don't get the
vector theme in either though.

On 12 November 2013 17:45, stephen sutcliffe <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I have a port forwarding rule on my router which forwards port 80 to port
> 80 on the machine running my wiki.192.168.1.100
>

> 192.168.1.100
> 80
> 80
> TCP
>

> On 12 November 2013 17:33, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It's called port forwarding almost all routers should have that
>>
>> On Tuesday, November 12, 2013, stephen sutcliffe wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm just starting out building a Wiki and I'm a little confused. I would
>> > like to be able to access my Wiki both within my home network and
>> > externally over the internet. If I set $wgServer in LocalSettings.php
>>  to "
>> > http://192.168.1.100" my intranet works as expected. Entering
>> > "192.168.1.100" resolves to http://192.168.1.100/wiki/Main_Page and
>> > everything works as expected complete with the vector theme. Obviously
>> this
>> > poses a problem if I try to access my wiki over the intranet as it can't
>> > connect to 192.168.1.100.
>> >
>> > if I set $wgServer to my registered domain name and try and access the
>> wiki
>> > externally everything works as expected but if i access the wiki
>> internally
>> > I have two different issues. If I try to use my domain name this ends up
>> > pointing to my router admin page so the resolved name i.e with
>> > "/wiki/Main_Page" appended does not exist on my router . If I use the
>> i.p
>> > address directly i.e http://192.168.1.100/wiki/Main_Page the web page
>> is
>> > displayed but I loose the vector theme. i,e it just has very basic
>> > formatting. Navigating seems to work fine and images are displayed I
>> just
>> > don't get any nice formatting.
>> >
>> > Sorry if this has rambled on but I didn't quite know hot to put it
>> > eloquently. What configuration do I need to get my wiki to display
>> properly
>> > when accessed both internally and externally via the internet? I
>> presume if
>> > I could move my routers admin page away from port 80 this might solve
>> the
>> > issue but this isn't an option on my router.
>> >
>> > Thanks

Re: $wgServer and short URL's

Chris Steipp
I'm not sure if I fully recommend it, but I've gotten around this by adding
a conditional in my LocalSettings.php to set $wgServer to the ip
if $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"] looks like my local network. Probably safe
enough for temporary access.

$wgServer is used to construct urls, like the css links, so that's why your
skin will mostly go away if it's not set correctly.

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 9:57 AM, stephen sutcliffe <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Interesting! if I don't set $wgServer I get the same behaviour if I access
> the wiki internally and via the intranet. Unfortunately I don't get the
> vector theme in either though.
>

> On 12 November 2013 17:45, stephen sutcliffe <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>

> > I have a port forwarding rule on my router which forwards port 80 to port
> > 80 on the machine running my wiki.192.168.1.100
> >

> > 192.168.1.100
> > 80
> > 80
> > TCP
> >

> > On 12 November 2013 17:33, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> It's called port forwarding almost all routers should have that

> would
> >>  to "
> >> this
> can't

> >> wiki
> >> internally
> up
> >> i.p
> >> is
> >> just

> >> properly
> >> presume if
> >> the

Re: $wgServer and short URL's

stephen sutcliffe
Thanks for the  $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"] variable. This gives me a solution
that works.

On 12 November 2013 19:06, Chris Steipp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure if I fully recommend it, but I've gotten around this by adding
> a conditional in my LocalSettings.php to set $wgServer to the ip
> if $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"] looks like my local network. Probably safe
> enough for temporary access.
>
> $wgServer is used to construct urls, like the css links, so that's why your
> skin will mostly go away if it's not set correctly.
>
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 9:57 AM, stephen sutcliffe <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Interesting! if I don't set $wgServer I get the same behaviour if I
> access
> > the wiki internally and via the intranet. Unfortunately I don't get the
> > vector theme in either though.
> >

> > On 12 November 2013 17:45, stephen sutcliffe <[hidden email]
> > >wrote:
> >

> > > I have a port forwarding rule on my router which forwards port 80 to
> port
> > > 80 on the machine running my wiki.192.168.1.100
> > >

> > > 192.168.1.100
> > > 80
> > > 80
> > > TCP

> > would
> LocalSettings.php
> Obviously
> > can't

> the
> ends
> > up
> the
> page

> solve

Re: $wgServer and short URL's

YiFei
Try $wgServer = "http://$_SERVER[HTTP_HOST]";
This will automatically get you whatever it is in the "host" field of the
http request header.