[MediaWiki-l] wiki based on html5 section tag

Fxp

[MediaWiki-l] wiki based on html5 section tag

Fxp
Hi all,

I wanted to know if some experiences had been made to create a wiki
based on the Html5 "section" tag (and header).

Has someone tried to change the parser to allow edit section to be made
with a "<section>" tag ?

Can you share the way you tried and which difficulties you encountered?

My (ugly) try is at :
http://proj.wiki/index.php?title=Autocollant_je_m%27arr%C3%AAte_aux_passages_pi%C3%A9tons

Thank you

François

---

Re: wiki based on html5 section tag

chris tharp-2
Hi

I've used this extension: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:HTML_Tags  to allow section, article and more html tags. Alternatively if you're
looking for something a little more advanced, and don't mind only allowing sysops to edit the template Namespace try:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:NamespaceHTML

Only use the second extension if you can secure the Namespace, and need more advanced html functions.
Sent from my iPad

Fxp

Re: wiki based on html5 section tag

Fxp
Hi Chris,

Thank you for the links. I did the change directly in the parser.php,
but it is far better to use the appropriate extension and keep the
changes in localsettings.

My question was just the step after:

1) the current editsection function is based on catching headings: 'h?'
to send parts into the tree. So how to make it use the section tag?

        a)Maybe the simplest solution is just to add in the parser a <section>
tag above the header during the rendering... but where to end it?
        b) if so, how to pass attribute like a class parameter to the section tag?
        c) On my test, if I edit a titlesection, I have to be carefull because
it might contains the start tag of the next section...

2)If we wanted editsection to use a tag named "section" instead (or in
addition), a lot of things change.
I have tried to simply replace the 'h' by 'section' in the parser, but
of course, it only resulted in a complete break.

        b) I guess building an id for the section wouldn't be that difficult,

3) Did someone come accross an idea to modify the existing editor to add
sections?
        a) Is there a bright idea about a new markup? Otherwise, what is the
point of a wiki if I am the only one who understand how to edit a page ;)

I just wanted to know if somwhere, someone had already started working
on such modifications, before customizing my wiki...

Thanks again for your answer

François

Le 25/08/2014 16:27, Chris Tharp a écrit :

> Hi
>
> I've used this extension: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:HTML_Tags  to allow section, article and more html tags. Alternatively if you're
> looking for something a little more advanced, and don't mind only allowing sysops to edit the template Namespace try:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:NamespaceHTML
>
> Only use the second extension if you can secure the Namespace, and need more advanced html functions.
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Aug 25, 2014, at 1:47 AM, FxParlant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I wanted to know if some experiences had been made to create a wiki
>> based on the Html5 "section" tag (and header).
>>
>> Has someone tried to change the parser to allow edit section to be made
>> with a "<section>" tag ?
>>
>> Can you share the way you tried and which difficulties you encountered?
>>
>> My (ugly) try is at :
>> http://proj.wiki/index.php?title=Autocollant_je_m%27arr%C3%AAte_aux_passages_pi%C3%A9tons
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> François
>>
>> ---
>> This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.

---

Re: wiki based on html5 section tag

Tom Hutchison
Not safe on a public wiki but you can use [0].   Your post brings up a needed discussion about updating to allow html5 tags through mw without stripping them. Or better yet, a method to allow users to add an array of ignored tags for sanitizing.

Tom [0] http://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Manual%3A%24wgRawHtml

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the links. I did the change directly in the parser.php,
but it is far better to use the appropriate extension and keep the
changes in localsettings.

My question was just the step after:

1) the current editsection function is based on catching headings: 'h?'
to send parts into the tree. So how to make it use the section tag?

        a)Maybe the simplest solution is just to add in the parser a <section>
tag above the header during the rendering... but where to end it?
        b) if so, how to pass attribute like a class parameter to the section tag?
        c) On my test, if I edit a titlesection, I have to be carefull because
it might contains the start tag of the next section...

2)If we wanted editsection to use a tag named "section" instead (or in
addition), a lot of things change.
I have tried to simply replace the 'h' by 'section' in the parser, but
of course, it only resulted in a complete break.

        b) I guess building an id for the section wouldn't be that difficult,

3) Did someone come accross an idea to modify the existing editor to add
sections?
        a) Is there a bright idea about a new markup? Otherwise, what is the
point of a wiki if I am the only one who understand how to edit a page ;)

I just wanted to know if somwhere, someone had already started working
on such modifications, before customizing my wiki...

Thanks again for your answer

François

Le 25/08/2014 16:27, Chris Tharp a écrit :

> Hi
>
> I've used this extension: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:HTML_Tags  to allow section, article and more html tags. Alternatively if you're
> looking for something a little more advanced, and don't mind only allowing sysops to edit the template Namespace try:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:NamespaceHTML
>
> Only use the second extension if you can secure the Namespace, and need more advanced html functions.
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Aug 25, 2014, at 1:47 AM, FxParlant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I wanted to know if some experiences had been made to create a wiki
>> based on the Html5 "section" tag (and header).
>>
>> Has someone tried to change the parser to allow edit section to be made
>> with a "<section>" tag ?
>>
>> Can you share the way you tried and which difficulties you encountered?
>>
>> My (ugly) try is at :
>> http://proj.wiki/index.php?title=Autocollant_je_m%27arr%C3%AAte_aux_passages_pi%C3%A9tons
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> François
>>
>> ---
>> This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.

---

Re: wiki based on html5 section tag

chris tharp-2
Hi

To answer your last point -- what's the point of a wiki if only you can edit it? -- I've found that that in the age of Facebook, etc., that no one (okay maybe just 99.7%) wants to do anything more then type. They don't want to use html, or wiki syntax, or any other code, which makes it very hard to get people to edit. I doubt even if you can add html5 syntax in the wikieditor that many would use it.

Clearly the people at Wikipedia understand this is an issue, which is why they created the Visual Editor. Unfortunately they introduced it wrong, and tried to force the only group in the world who loves wiki syntax to use it. I've also came across articles implying that it doesn't work that well. I personally don't know if it works, or not, but I don't thing it would solve your issue.

My solution, such that it is, is to use the Semantic Forms extension and hide all advanced html, semantic mediawiki properties, and now structured data in templates. It takes far more work to set up the wiki since you need to really design your templates, but right now, I think, it's best option.

All the best

Chris

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 26, 2014, at 1:20 PM, Tom Hutchison <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I wanted to know if some experiences had been made to create a wiki
>>> based on the Html5 "section" tag (and header).
>>>
>>> Has someone tried to change the parser to allow edit section to be made
>>> with a "<section>" tag ?
>>>
>>> Can you share the way you tried and which difficulties you encountered?
>>>
>>> My (ugly) try is at :
>>> http://proj.wiki/index.php?title=Autocollant_je_m%27arr%C3%AAte_aux_passages_pi%C3%A9tons
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> François
>>>
>>> ---
>>> This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.

> ---
> Ce courrier électronique ne contient aucun virus ou logiciel malveillant parce que la protection avast! Antivirus est active.

WJhonson

I can answer this

"what's the point of a wiki if only you can edit it? "

The wiki software has additional intelligence built-in which can be useful when you are creating a large site of multiple articles inter-linked.

You don't need multiple authors, to take advantage of the features that a wiki can bring.

> [...]

>> I've used this extension: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:HTML_Tags
to allow section, article and more html tags. Alternatively if you're
>> looking for something a little more advanced, and don't mind only allowing
sysops to edit the template Namespace try:
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:NamespaceHTML
>>
>> Only use the second extension if you can secure the Namespace, and need more
advanced html functions.

>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On Aug 25, 2014, at 1:47 AM, FxParlant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I wanted to know if some experiences had been made to create a wiki
>>> based on the Html5 "section" tag (and header).
>>>
>>> Has someone tried to change the parser to allow edit section to be made
>>> with a "<section>" tag ?
>>>
>>> Can you share the way you tried and which difficulties you encountered?

protection is active.