[MediaWiki-l] wiki format

chembiomed@yahoo.com
hello!

I want to create a wiki (either local or web)

my main goal is to be able to organize alot of data very nicely and to
edit it easily (not looking for ability to be edited by others etc)

however, I want to be able to do these:

1) create and edit rich text (wiki can already do that)
2) create and edit flowcharts, diagrams, etc of as many as possible
types (can it do it?)
3) create tables, sortable, filterable, searchable, etc (can it do it?)

please advise if it can and how to do it!

thanks!

Re: wiki format

Arcane 21

If you want to create a wiki with these features in MediaWiki, I suggest checking out the Extensions available for MediaWiki on mediawiki.org and picking what is needed for your setup. There are several wiki extensions for lists and flowcharts, and stock MediaWiki already has some of those features you mentioned already included, but given the sheer amount available you may have to do some experimenting to find what you need.

Since you don't mind having either a localhost or public web setup but aren't sure what you need at the moment, I would stick with a localhost setup and experiment with extensions until you find what you need, and on a localhost setup you would have total freedom to add and remove changes at will until you find the right combination of extensions to make the wiki you are hoping to create.

Also, if you don't feel the need or don't wish to wish your wiki public, a localhost setup would be best for your purposes, especially if you will putting potentially sensitive information for your own personal use on the wiki. A localhost wiki will also be only edited by yourself and you will have total control over what information is added, if that is a concern.

> Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 03:58:41 +0200
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [MediaWiki-l] wiki format
>
> hello!
>
> I want to create a wiki (either local or web)
>
> my main goal is to be able to organize alot of data very nicely and to
> edit it easily (not looking for ability to be edited by others etc)
>
> however, I want to be able to do these:
>
> 1) create and edit rich text (wiki can already do that)
> 2) create and edit flowcharts, diagrams, etc of as many as possible
> types (can it do it?)
> 3) create tables, sortable, filterable, searchable, etc (can it do it?)
>
> please advise if it can and how to do it!
>
> thanks!

Re: wiki format

Haim (Howard) Roman
Arcane's suggestion about localhost is excellent as long as you'll always
edit from the same machine.  If not, then you'll have to set up permissions
properly.  I also have a wiki where only I can edit.  In my
LocalSettings.php I have:

$wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;

Note that:
[1] this is for a very old version: 1.13.4.
[2] Also, I might not have set the variables optimally.
[3] It still allows everyone to read it

But this is the direction you should take (unless you will always edit from
the same machine).

Haim (Howard) Roman
Computer Center, Jerusalem College of Technology
Phone: 052-8-592-599 (6022 from within Machon Lev)

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 4:37 AM, Arcane 21 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you want to create a wiki with these features in MediaWiki, I suggest
> checking out the Extensions available for MediaWiki on mediawiki.org and
> picking what is needed for your setup. There are several wiki extensions
> for lists and flowcharts, and stock MediaWiki already has some of those
> features you mentioned already included, but given the sheer amount
> available you may have to do some experimenting to find what you need.
>
> Since you don't mind having either a localhost or public web setup but
> aren't sure what you need at the moment, I would stick with a localhost
> setup and experiment with extensions until you find what you need, and on a
> localhost setup you would have total freedom to add and remove changes at
> will until you find the right combination of extensions to make the wiki
> you are hoping to create.
>
> Also, if you don't feel the need or don't wish to wish your wiki public, a
> localhost setup would be best for your purposes, especially if you will
> putting potentially sensitive information for your own personal use on the
> wiki. A localhost wiki will also be only edited by yourself and you will
> have total control over what information is added, if that is a concern.
>
> > Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 03:58:41 +0200
> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: [MediaWiki-l] wiki format
> >
> > hello!
> >
> > I want to create a wiki (either local or web)
> >
> > my main goal is to be able to organize alot of data very nicely and to
> > edit it easily (not looking for ability to be edited by others etc)
> >
> > however, I want to be able to do these:
> >
> > 1) create and edit rich text (wiki can already do that)
> > 2) create and edit flowcharts, diagrams, etc of as many as possible
> > types (can it do it?)
> > 3) create tables, sortable, filterable, searchable, etc (can it do it?)
> >
> > please advise if it can and how to do it!
> >
> > thanks!

Re: wiki format

nakohdo
> however, I want to be able to do these:
> 1) create and edit rich text (wiki can already do that)
> 2) create and edit flowcharts, diagrams, etc of as many as possible
> types (can it do it?)
> 3) create tables, sortable, filterable, searchable, etc (can it do it?)

Have a look at http://semantic-mediawiki.org/

hth
Frank

Re: wiki format

Yury Katkov
+1 for Semantic MediaWiki and semantic extensions. If by "editing
flowcharts" you mean that they will update themselves according to the data
in the wiki, SMW is what you always wanted.

I think the best option would be to use Semantic Bundle set of extensions:
it includes almost everything you want. For example Semantic Result Formats
extension provides any charts and graphs you have ever dreamed of.

If you're not a programmer and you need fully packed solution, have a look
at Enterprise Semantic MediaWiki Plus.

About eiting rich text: if you mean WYSIWYG editor,

-----
Yury Katkov, WikiVote

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Frank Ralf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > however, I want to be able to do these:
> > 1) create and edit rich text (wiki can already do that)
> > 2) create and edit flowcharts, diagrams, etc of as many as possible
> > types (can it do it?)
> > 3) create tables, sortable, filterable, searchable, etc (can it do it?)
>
> Have a look at http://semantic-mediawiki.org/
>
> hth
> Frank

Re: wiki format

chembiomed@yahoo.com
I am not sure if MediaWiki is what suits me best

I dont want to install any web server

any suggestion??

On 06/11/12 04:37, Arcane 21 wrote:

> If you want to create a wiki with these features in MediaWiki, I suggest checking out the Extensions available for MediaWiki on mediawiki.org and picking what is needed for your setup. There are several wiki extensions for lists and flowcharts, and stock MediaWiki already has some of those features you mentioned already included, but given the sheer amount available you may have to do some experimenting to find what you need.
>
> Since you don't mind having either a localhost or public web setup but aren't sure what you need at the moment, I would stick with a localhost setup and experiment with extensions until you find what you need, and on a localhost setup you would have total freedom to add and remove changes at will until you find the right combination of extensions to make the wiki you are hoping to create.
>
> Also, if you don't feel the need or don't wish to wish your wiki public, a localhost setup would be best for your purposes, especially if you will putting potentially sensitive information for your own personal use on the wiki. A localhost wiki will also be only edited by yourself and you will have total control over what information is added, if that is a concern.
>
>> Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 03:58:41 +0200
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: [MediaWiki-l] wiki format
>>
>> hello!
>>
>> I want to create a wiki (either local or web)
>>
>> my main goal is to be able to organize alot of data very nicely and to
>> edit it easily (not looking for ability to be edited by others etc)
>>
>> however, I want to be able to do these:
>>
>> 1) create and edit rich text (wiki can already do that)
>> 2) create and edit flowcharts, diagrams, etc of as many as possible
>> types (can it do it?)
>> 3) create tables, sortable, filterable, searchable, etc (can it do it?)
>>
>> please advise if it can and how to do it!
>>
>> thanks!

Re: wiki format

Yury Katkov
Then it's Microsoft Excel for diagrams + Microsoft Word for rich text +
Dropbox for safety.

-----
Yury Katkov, WikiVote

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 5:33 AM, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> I am not sure if MediaWiki is what suits me best
>
> I dont want to install any web server
>
> any suggestion??
>

> On 06/11/12 04:37, Arcane 21 wrote:
>
>> If you want to create a wiki with these features in MediaWiki, I suggest
>> checking out the Extensions available for MediaWiki on mediawiki.org and
>> picking what is needed for your setup. There are several wiki extensions
>> for lists and flowcharts, and stock MediaWiki already has some of those
>> features you mentioned already included, but given the sheer amount
>> available you may have to do some experimenting to find what you need.
>>
>> Since you don't mind having either a localhost or public web setup but
>> aren't sure what you need at the moment, I would stick with a localhost
>> setup and experiment with extensions until you find what you need, and on a
>> localhost setup you would have total freedom to add and remove changes at
>> will until you find the right combination of extensions to make the wiki
>> you are hoping to create.
>>
>> Also, if you don't feel the need or don't wish to wish your wiki public,
>> a localhost setup would be best for your purposes, especially if you will
>> putting potentially sensitive information for your own personal use on the
>> wiki. A localhost wiki will also be only edited by yourself and you will
>> have total control over what information is added, if that is a concern.
>>
>>  Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 03:58:41 +0200
>>> From: [hidden email]
>>> To: [hidden email].**org <[hidden email]>
>>> Subject: [MediaWiki-l] wiki format
>>>
>>> hello!
>>>
>>> I want to create a wiki (either local or web)
>>>
>>> my main goal is to be able to organize alot of data very nicely and to
>>> edit it easily (not looking for ability to be edited by others etc)
>>>
>>> however, I want to be able to do these:
>>>
>>> 1) create and edit rich text (wiki can already do that)
>>> 2) create and edit flowcharts, diagrams, etc of as many as possible
>>> types (can it do it?)
>>> 3) create tables, sortable, filterable, searchable, etc (can it do it?)
>>>
>>> please advise if it can and how to do it!
>>>
>>> thanks!

Re: wiki format

Eric BEAUSSART
Sirs,

"[hidden email]" vrote :
"I am not sure if MediaWiki is what suits me best" and :
"I dont want to install any web server", "any suggestion?"
So, myself, Eric Beaussart, since a long time ago, looked for a tool to
Build Pages about Systemics, but not directly for a Website !
So, I loaded "Mediawiki" and even "Semanticmediawiki".
Then, If it was successfully installed, as they don't provide a way
to Run it from "Windows" window, impossible to use it !
OK, "WindowsXP" is probably not the best Operating System, specially for
Freewares as Mediawiki, but it is the only one I can use today, for several
reasons.
All right, even I would, trought "Mediawiki", open a Building Session for "HTMLpages",
and their Hypertext structure, I cannot ask to "Mediawiki" "site admin list" to
Make the neccessary "Localhost Files" to be called by "Mediawiki" "*.php" or other
"Scripts" !
But "Arcane21" wrote for example :
"If you want to create a wiki with these features in MediaWiki, ..."
and : "... and picking what is needed for your setup. There are several wiki extensions for lists and flowcharts, and stock MediaWiki already has some of those features you mentioned already included, but given the sheer amount available you may have to do some experimenting to find what you need."
About Myself, you can have an Idea of what was to be made, on .
then "Terminologie Systémique", then "Some Words" aready Written !
And join me at  .

Yes I, as other, I am willing for experiments, but, for God's sake, Where, for example,
should I Write in my Computer "what is needed for your setup." ??, And How to Call it,
if possible by only a "Click" on an "Icon" on the "Desktop" with a shortcut to the "ProgramFile"
of "Mediawiki Application" ?
For a Freeware wich understood that and solved it, see for example "Protege", which calls for
"XAMPP", and, therefore, works very well !
So, I can't believe, since so many Years and at the 12th Edition, and so many qualified people,
"Mediawiki" can remain an "Experts Tool" only !
Thanks for your attention !
So long !
E. B.

> Message du 07/11/12 02:34
> De : "[hidden email]"
> A : "MediaWiki announcements and site admin list"
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: [MediaWiki-l] wiki format
>
> I am not sure if MediaWiki is what suits me best
>
> I dont want to install any web server
>
> any suggestion??
>
> On 06/11/12 04:37, Arcane 21 wrote:
> > If you want to create a wiki with these features in MediaWiki, I suggest checking out the Extensions available for MediaWiki on mediawiki.org and picking what is needed for your setup. There are several wiki extensions for lists and flowcharts, and stock MediaWiki already has some of those features you mentioned already included, but given the sheer amount available you may have to do some experimenting to find what you need.
> >
> > Since you don't mind having either a localhost or public web setup but aren't sure what you need at the moment, I would stick with a localhost setup and experiment with extensions until you find what you need, and on a localhost setup you would have total freedom to add and remove changes at will until you find the right combination of extensions to make the wiki you are hoping to create.
> >
> > Also, if you don't feel the need or don't wish to wish your wiki public, a localhost setup would be best for your purposes, especially if you will putting potentially sensitive information for your own personal use on the wiki. A localhost wiki will also be only edited by yourself and you will have total control over what information is added, if that is a concern.
> >
> >> Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 03:58:41 +0200
> >> From: [hidden email]
> >> To: [hidden email]
> >> Subject: [MediaWiki-l] wiki format
> >>
> >> hello!
> >>
> >> I want to create a wiki (either local or web)
> >>
> >> my main goal is to be able to organize alot of data very nicely and to
> >> edit it easily (not looking for ability to be edited by others etc)
> >>
> >> however, I want to be able to do these:
> >>
> >> 1) create and edit rich text (wiki can already do that)
> >> 2) create and edit flowcharts, diagrams, etc of as many as possible
> >> types (can it do it?)
> >> 3) create tables, sortable, filterable, searchable, etc (can it do it?)
> >>
> >> please advise if it can and how to do it!
> >>
> >> thanks!

Re: wiki format

Yury Katkov
Hi Eric!

Enterprise Semantic MediaWiki runs from Windows and has the special Windows
installer of components. Have a look at it.

-----
Yury Katkov, WikiVote