MediaWiki on OpenBSD 3.8

Jack Woehr
Hi --

Installed MediaWiki from the ports tree on OpenBSD ... when I hit
the MediaWiki config page, it fails to connect to mysql with the
message: "MySQL error 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server
through socket /var/run/mysql/mysql.sock" However, MySQL is indeed
running on that socket:

    mysql> status
    --------------
    mysql  Ver 12.22 Distrib 4.0.24, for unknown-openbsd3.8 (i386)

    Connection id:          2
    Current database:
    Current user:           jax@localhost
    SSL:                    Not in use
    Current pager:          stdout
    Using outfile:          ''
    Server version:         4.0.24
    Protocol version:       10
    Connection:             Localhost via UNIX socket
    Client characterset:    latin1
    Server characterset:    latin1
    UNIX socket:            /var/run/mysql/mysql.sock
    Uptime:                 14 min 10 sec

Any tips?

--
Jack J. Woehr                 # "Men never do evil so completely and
PO Box 51, Golden, CO 80402   #  cheerfully as when they do it from

Re: MediaWiki on OpenBSD 3.8

Brion Vibber
Jack Woehr wrote:
> Installed MediaWiki from the ports tree on OpenBSD ... when I hit
> the MediaWiki config page, it fails to connect to mysql with the
> message: "MySQL error 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server
> through socket /var/run/mysql/mysql.sock" However, MySQL is indeed
> running on that socket:

Obvious questions:
* Is Apache/PHP running in some kind of chroot or jail?
* Is MySQL running in some kind of chroot or jail?
* Are there extra permission restrictions on that socket file or its parent
directories?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: MediaWiki on OpenBSD 3.8

Jack Woehr
Brion Vibber wrote:

>Obvious questions:
>* Is Apache/PHP running in some kind of chroot or jail?

Yes. But the config web page for MediaWiki seems to demand that
the socket exist in (unreachable) /var/run ... how do I change MediaWiki's
configuration setup to tell it a chroot-accessible location to look for
the socket?

Jack Woehr wrote:
> Brion Vibber wrote:
>> Obvious questions:
>> * Is Apache/PHP running in some kind of chroot or jail?
>>
> Yes. But the config web page for MediaWiki seems to demand that
> the socket exist in (unreachable) /var/run ... how do I change MediaWiki's
> configuration setup to tell it a chroot-accessible location to look for
> the socket?

MediaWiki knows nothing about it, but php.ini does.

Brion Vibber wrote:

>MediaWiki knows nothing about it, but php.ini does.

Yes, thank you, Brion!

The combination Apache/PHP/MySQL/MediaWiki has TOO MANY CONFIG FILES!! :-)

--
Jack J. Woehr                 # "Men never do evil so completely and
PO Box 51, Golden, CO 80402   #  cheerfully as when they do it from
http://www.well.com/~jax      #  religious conviction." - Pascal

Re: MediaWiki on OpenBSD 3.8

Curtis Hatter
Jack Woehr wrote:

> Brion Vibber wrote:
>
>> MediaWiki knows nothing about it, but php.ini does.
>>
> Yes, thank you, Brion!
>
> The combination Apache/PHP/MySQL/MediaWiki has TOO MANY CONFIG FILES!!
> :-)

Check out this url for a pretty good how-to on configuring/installing
Apache, PHP,  and MySQL on OpenBSD 3.8:

http://www.freeyourbox.org/tutorials/bsd/obsd3.8_apache_php_mysql.html

For a quick solution, you may just want to try the following to fix your
problem:

# mkdir -p /var/www/var/run/mysql
# ln -f /var/run/mysql/mysql.sock /var/www/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock

Curtis

Re: MediaWiki on OpenBSD 3.8

Jack Woehr
Curtis Hatter wrote:

> Jack Woehr wrote:
>
>> Brion Vibber wrote:
>>
>>> MediaWiki knows nothing about it, but php.ini does.
>>>
>> Yes, thank you, Brion!
>>
>> The combination Apache/PHP/MySQL/MediaWiki has TOO MANY CONFIG
>> FILES!! :-)
>>

> Check out this url for a pretty good how-to on configuring/installing
> Apache, PHP,  and MySQL on OpenBSD 3.8:
>
> http://www.freeyourbox.org/tutorials/bsd/obsd3.8_apache_php_mysql.html

Thanks, Curtis, Brion and others who provided excellent guidance.