MediaWiki plugin to record screencasts directly from the edit page

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

MediaWiki plugin to record screencasts directly from the edit page

Skoffer.com Team
Hi everyone on the list,

I contribute to the Skoffer project, and like to point you to my Skoffer
MediaWiki plugin (GPL).
Skoffer is a free uncommercial project which lets you build in a
screencast recorder into your website. Since MediaWiki is great to make
sofware documentations, the ability to to record screencasts (in
unlimited resolutions and lengths) without installing a software (it´s
Java based) could be interesting for some of you.

If your website could make use of it, please have a look at
http://www.skoffer.com and/or on my blog post
http://www.stefanschulzesteinmann.com/skoffer-mediawiki-plugin/
If you want to see a demo: There are two screencasts in my blog post
which I recorded as a demonstration. The one shows how I create the other.

A happy 3. advent,
Stefan Schulze Steinmann

PS: By the way, you are the first persons who know about Skoffer. This
mail is the project´s starting shot.





_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MediaWiki plugin to record screencasts directly from the edit page

Brian J Mingus
I installed this on our wiki, it works! It's great for a variety of
purposes.
http://grey.colorado.edu/emergent

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Skoffer.com Team <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone on the list,
>
> I contribute to the Skoffer project, and like to point you to my Skoffer
> MediaWiki plugin (GPL).
> Skoffer is a free uncommercial project which lets you build in a
> screencast recorder into your website. Since MediaWiki is great to make
> sofware documentations, the ability to to record screencasts (in
> unlimited resolutions and lengths) without installing a software (it´s
> Java based) could be interesting for some of you.
>
> If your website could make use of it, please have a look at
> http://www.skoffer.com and/or on my blog post
> http://www.stefanschulzesteinmann.com/skoffer-mediawiki-plugin/
> If you want to see a demo: There are two screencasts in my blog post
> which I recorded as a demonstration. The one shows how I create the other.
>
> A happy 3. advent,
> Stefan Schulze Steinmann
>
> PS: By the way, you are the first persons who know about Skoffer. This
> mail is the project´s starting shot.
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> MediaWiki-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
>



--
(Not sent from my iPhone)
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MediaWiki plugin to record screencasts directly from the edit page

Skoffer.com Team
In reply to this post by Skoffer.com Team
Thanks for trying it out Brian,
I´m glad you like it :-)

By the way, I made an info page about the screencast plugin at
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Screencasting



>
>
>
>
>
>


_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MediaWiki plugin to record screencasts directly from the edit page

Brianna Laugher
In reply to this post by Skoffer.com Team
2008/12/14 Skoffer.com Team <[hidden email]>:

> Hi everyone on the list,
>
> I contribute to the Skoffer project, and like to point you to my Skoffer
> MediaWiki plugin (GPL).
> Skoffer is a free uncommercial project which lets you build in a
> screencast recorder into your website. Since MediaWiki is great to make
> sofware documentations, the ability to to record screencasts (in
> unlimited resolutions and lengths) without installing a software (it´s
> Java based) could be interesting for some of you.
>
> If your website could make use of it, please have a look at
> http://www.skoffer.com and/or on my blog post
> http://www.stefanschulzesteinmann.com/skoffer-mediawiki-plugin/
> If you want to see a demo: There are two screencasts in my blog post
> which I recorded as a demonstration. The one shows how I create the other.
>
> A happy 3. advent,
> Stefan Schulze Steinmann
>
> PS: By the way, you are the first persons who know about Skoffer. This
> mail is the project´s starting shot.

Hi Stefan,

Skoffer and your extension both look really interesting.

Can you tell me, is it possible to download the screencast files? For
me this point is a "deal breaker". I prefer to host my own videos
locally rather than rely on a third party.

thanks
Brianna

--
They've just been waiting in a mountain for the right moment:
http://modernthings.org/

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MediaWiki plugin to record screencasts directly from the edit page

Skoffer.com Team
In reply to this post by Skoffer.com Team
Hi Brianna,

about "Can you tell me, is it possible to download the screencast files?"

Yes, you can download them from

http://media.skoffer.com/<skofferid>.flv
(<skofferid> has to be replaced with the video-id)

If you want you can also download thumbnails of the videos in 240x180 and 600x450 pixel sizes from:
http://media.skoffer.com/thumbnails/240x180/<skofferid>.jpg
http://media.skoffer.com/thumbnails/600x450/<skofferid>.jpg

You don´t have to, but it would be nice if you put a link to http://www.skoffer.com on your site, if you use and like Skoffer.

Warm regards, Stefan

PS: Just in case you wonder where to get the video-id. The MediaWiki plugin inserts the video-id to the text input form on the edit page after you recorded and saved a screencast.
If it inserts "<skoffer>123456</skoffer>" then 123456 is the video-id (the real video-ids are much longer).


_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MediaWiki plugin to record screencasts directly from the edit page

Brian J Mingus
In reply to this post by Skoffer.com Team
I tried Skoffer on Windows, Mac and Linux and so far it is only usable on
Windows. This makes it unsuitable for user in our lab, which consists mostly
of Mac and Linux users. Here are my bugs and notes:

*General issues*

   - Special:Version does not work with the extension installed. It's just
   blank.
   - I notice in the screencast of Skoffer that you close the
   'screen-recorder initiator' popup as it is only used for launching. This
   should happen automatically. Get rid of as many steps as possible.
   - You have to grant Skoffer special java permission to use the /tmp
   directory, and the only thing written there is /tmp/cache/http/
   api.skoffer.com/v1/{skoffer.jar<http://api.skoffer.com/v1/%7Bskoffer.jar>,
   skoffer.jar.info}. This looks avoidable and should be avoided if
   possible.
   - The general method of inserting the <skoffer> tag into the page does
   not work across platforms and browsers. Some other way must be found.
   - Integration with mediawiki is poor and the interface lacks basic
   features, such as the ability to download the movie, or embed it in another
   site.
   - Regarding "This screencast will be available shortly," how long is
   "shortly," and how will the user know when it is now available? They have to
   continue refreshing the page? For how long?

*Linux - *Ubuntu Inrepid Ibex with Firefox 3.0.4 and Java 1.6.0 - Core 2 duo
@ 3GHz w/ 8GB ram

   - I get to "Uploading your screencast", it spins for a minute, and then
   all evidence of Skoffer goes away. It does not insert anything into the edit
   box
   - If I leave the 'screen-recorder initiator' popup, after the "Uploading
   your screencast" popup goes away, this popup gets redirected to '
   mydomain.com/extensions/skoffer/<insert 3-4 random unicode characters>',
   which is naturally a 404 error. The characters are different every time.
   bizarre.
   - If I click 'Finish this screencast' before 'Pause recording' then the
   recording timer keeps counting. Small things like this are very confusing to
   users.
   - There are several windows that show up in my linux taskbar that are
   apparantly used to draw the recording interface. Can't these be consolidated
   into one?

*Mac - *OSX Leopard with Safari 3.1.2 and Java 1.5 - Core 2 duo @ 3GHz w/
4GB ram

   - The <skoffer> tags are only inserted into the textarea if I bring it
   into focus with my mouse after telling it to upload the screencast. If I
   don't click in the edit box, the behavior is just like linux, e.g., it
   doesn't work at all.
      - I was never able to get it to insert the <skoffer> tags again after
      this attempt
   - The red line you are supposed to move your mouse over is totally
   occluded by the main OSX navigation bar which resides at the top of the
   screen. I found this feature to be very confusing and suggest it be dropped.
   I suggest making the only way to stop a recording be to click the finish
   recording button.

Windows - Windows XP with Internet Explorer 8 beta - P4 @ 3GHz w/ 512MB ram

   - It appeared to work as advertised, but I don't know how long the "This
   screencast will be available shortly" screen will be up. I still haven't
   seen an actual recorded video.


I think Skoffer is close to being usable, but right now it is a Windows-only
app and I don't know anyone who uses Windows. I just tried it on my
development Windows machine to check.

Cheers,
Brian


On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Skoffer.com Team <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone on the list,
>
> I contribute to the Skoffer project, and like to point you to my Skoffer
> MediaWiki plugin (GPL).
> Skoffer is a free uncommercial project which lets you build in a
> screencast recorder into your website. Since MediaWiki is great to make
> sofware documentations, the ability to to record screencasts (in
> unlimited resolutions and lengths) without installing a software (it´s
> Java based) could be interesting for some of you.
>
> If your website could make use of it, please have a look at
> http://www.skoffer.com and/or on my blog post
> http://www.stefanschulzesteinmann.com/skoffer-mediawiki-plugin/
> If you want to see a demo: There are two screencasts in my blog post
> which I recorded as a demonstration. The one shows how I create the other.
>
> A happy 3. advent,
> Stefan Schulze Steinmann
>
> PS: By the way, you are the first persons who know about Skoffer. This
> mail is the project´s starting shot.
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> MediaWiki-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
>



--
(Not sent from my iPhone)
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MediaWiki plugin to record screencasts directly from the edit page

Skoffer.com Team
Hi Brian,

thank you very much for the detailed information.
Bad to hear that it did not work for you like said.

> I tried Skoffer on Windows, Mac and Linux and so far it is only usable on
> Windows. This makes it unsuitable for user in our lab, which consists mostly
> of Mac and Linux users. Here are my bugs and notes:
>
>  
I'm confused over most of your point because I considered all well tested.
And since it should be a cross platform solution it was tested on
Windows, Mac and Linux with Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Opera,
etc. with Sun Java, OpenJDK etc.
In the first 24 hours after releasing Skoffer.com and the plugins I have
seen more than 100 screencasts by my self and got a lot of mails saying
that it works great.
> *General issues*
>
>    - Special:Version does not work with the extension installed. It's just
>    blank.
>  
That's weird because I would not expect the few functions in the plugin
to cause that.
The plugin is installed on MediaWiki based
http://www.skoffer.com/Special:Version too, which work.
Could you please tell me your MediaWiki's version number?

>    - I notice in the screencast of Skoffer that you close the
>    'screen-recorder initiator' popup as it is only used for launching. This
>    should happen automatically. Get rid of as many steps as possible.
>  
I do not close it- I minimize it. The applet runs in this popup, if it's
closed the applet closes too.
If you want to know what's the popup for you can read the commented code
example at http://www.skoffer.com/Php_api_example
>    - You have to grant Skoffer special java permission to use the /tmp
>    directory, and the only thing written there is /tmp/cache/http/
>    api.skoffer.com/v1/{skoffer.jar<http://api.skoffer.com/v1/%7Bskoffer.jar>,
>    skoffer.jar.info}. This looks avoidable and should be avoided if
>    possible.
>  
The Java permissions are needed to be able to take screenshots of the PC
screen (Java class "java.awt.Robot"), which is oviously needed.
This is not possible with an applet that runs in the normal Java sandbox.
The operating system's tmp folder is used to store the recorded video
and audio if needed (some PCs dont't have much RAM).
>    - The general method of inserting the <skoffer> tag into the page does
>    not work across platforms and browsers. Some other way must be found.
>  
Again, weird, since it was tested with all major browsers. (but this
point and the two after the next are caused by the same issue)
>    - Integration with mediawiki is poor and the interface lacks basic
>    features, such as the ability to download the movie, or embed it in another
>    site.
>  
The goal was to be able to record and insert screencasts as easy as
possible. The plugin was not designed for the tasks you mentioned.
It is a basic implementation of the simple Skoffer "API" from
http://www.skoffer.com/The_skoffer_api (on this page you can find infos
how to embed the screencasts in other sites, if wanted).

>    - Regarding "This screencast will be available shortly," how long is
>    "shortly," and how will the user know when it is now available? They have to
>    continue refreshing the page? For how long?
>  
This time should be round about as long as the screencasts lasts. A
screencast that's a few seconds short should be ready in seconds.
> *Linux - *Ubuntu Inrepid Ibex with Firefox 3.0.4 and Java 1.6.0 - Core 2 duo
> @ 3GHz w/ 8GB ram
>
>    - I get to "Uploading your screencast", it spins for a minute, and then
>    all evidence of Skoffer goes away. It does not insert anything into the edit
>    box
>  
That's because of the issue below.
>    - If I leave the 'screen-recorder initiator' popup, after the "Uploading
>    your screencast" popup goes away, this popup gets redirected to '
>    mydomain.com/extensions/skoffer/<insert 3-4 random unicode characters>',
>    which is naturally a 404 error. The characters are different every time.
>    bizarre.
>  
The popup 'screen-recorder initiator' is loaded from
http://domain.tld/extensions/skoffer/skoffer_insert.php?new
When the "skoffer_insert.php"  is  started  without the GET variable
"skofferid" it starts the Java applet ( the screen recorder). The Java
applet checks from which URL it was started and redirects the user to
this address
+ "&skofferid=<screencast ID> after saving the screencast. Now the
"skoffer_insert.php" is loaded with the GET variable "skofferid" (for
example
http://domain.tld/extensions/skoffer/skoffer_insert.php?new&skofferid=123456789)
and inserts the ID to the text form (in this example it would insert
<skoffer>123456789</skoffer>). This is explained at
http://www.skoffer.com/Php_api_example , too, if you are interested.

You said the popup gets a 404 error because it trys to load
http://mydomain.com/extensions/skoffer/<insert 3-4 random unicode
characters>
I'm confused about the 3-4 unicode characters (if it were 32, then it
could be the video ID).
If you can do more tests with the new information (which I wrote above)
it would be great. I guess the the applet is not able to detect on which
URL it is loaded and forwards the popup to the wrong URL (like you said:
a 404 error)

>    - If I click 'Finish this screencast' before 'Pause recording' then the
>    recording timer keeps counting. Small things like this are very confusing to
>    users.
>  
This is not the normal behaviour of the applet. It seems the applet did
not run correctly after an exception. Please clear your Java cache, and
close all browsers. Please test it only in one instance at once (not in
two browsers on the same machine). After an error please restart the
browser and clear the browser's and Java's cache. You can see in the
Java console if the applet outputs exceptions.
The issue with the time shows that there was an exception, which could
have caused the issue that the applet was not able to redirect the popup
correctly, too.

 - There are several windows that show up in my linux taskbar that are
>    apparantly used to draw the recording interface. Can't these be consolidated
>    into one?
>  
This aesthetic thing will maybe changed in a newer version of the screen
recorder, because you are right it's confusing, even it does not impact
the screencast recording process per se.

> *Mac - *OSX Leopard with Safari 3.1.2 and Java 1.5 - Core 2 duo @ 3GHz w/
> 4GB ram
>
>    - The <skoffer> tags are only inserted into the textarea if I bring it
>    into focus with my mouse after telling it to upload the screencast. If I
>    don't click in the edit box, the behavior is just like linux, e.g., it
>    doesn't work at all.
>       - I was never able to get it to insert the <skoffer> tags again after
>       this attempt
>    - The red line you are supposed to move your mouse over is totally
>    occluded by the main OSX navigation bar which resides at the top of the
>    screen. I found this feature to be very confusing and suggest it be dropped.
>    I suggest making the only way to stop a recording be to click the finish
>    recording button.
>
>  
You are right. OSX seems to cover the red line which can be used stop
the recording. Thanks.
Maybe the red line is moved to the left or right side instead of the
top. The ability to stop the recording with the red line instead of a
button is considered helpful because the red line is not visible in the
resulting screencast.
A button to stop the fullscreen recording would be visible during the
whole screencast.

> Windows - Windows XP with Internet Explorer 8 beta - P4 @ 3GHz w/ 512MB ram
>
>    - It appeared to work as advertised, but I don't know how long the "This
>    screencast will be available shortly" screen will be up. I still haven't
>    seen an actual recorded video.
>
>  
The "This screencast will be available shorty" message is actually a flv
file which is placed at the screencasts URL in the moment where the
encoding process starts (that the user knows that the screencasts was
send correctly). Maybe your browser doen´t check on a page refresh if
the flv video file changed (and displays a cached version).
> I think Skoffer is close to being usable, but right now it is a Windows-only
> app and I don't know anyone who uses Windows. I just tried it on my
> development Windows machine to check.
>  
I will check. I successfully tested it on Ubuntu and Xubuntu where I
added Java support to Firefox with

"sudo apt-get install sun-java5-plugin"
or
"sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin"
> Cheers,
> Brian
>
>  
Thanks, Stefan

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MediaWiki plugin to record screencasts directly from the edit page

Brian J Mingus
Thank's Stefan, I will upgrade our wiki farm to the latest mediawiki and let
you know if that helps. We have 1.12rc1 I believe.

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 7:11 AM, Skoffer.com Team <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> thank you very much for the detailed information.
> Bad to hear that it did not work for you like said.
>
> > I tried Skoffer on Windows, Mac and Linux and so far it is only usable on
> > Windows. This makes it unsuitable for user in our lab, which consists
> mostly
> > of Mac and Linux users. Here are my bugs and notes:
> >
> >
> I'm confused over most of your point because I considered all well tested.
> And since it should be a cross platform solution it was tested on
> Windows, Mac and Linux with Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Opera,
> etc. with Sun Java, OpenJDK etc.
> In the first 24 hours after releasing Skoffer.com and the plugins I have
> seen more than 100 screencasts by my self and got a lot of mails saying
> that it works great.
> > *General issues*
> >
> >    - Special:Version does not work with the extension installed. It's
> just
> >    blank.
> >
> That's weird because I would not expect the few functions in the plugin
> to cause that.
> The plugin is installed on MediaWiki based
> http://www.skoffer.com/Special:Version too, which work.
> Could you please tell me your MediaWiki's version number?
>
> >    - I notice in the screencast of Skoffer that you close the
> >    'screen-recorder initiator' popup as it is only used for launching.
> This
> >    should happen automatically. Get rid of as many steps as possible.
> >
> I do not close it- I minimize it. The applet runs in this popup, if it's
> closed the applet closes too.
> If you want to know what's the popup for you can read the commented code
> example at http://www.skoffer.com/Php_api_example
> >    - You have to grant Skoffer special java permission to use the /tmp
> >    directory, and the only thing written there is /tmp/cache/http/
> >    api.skoffer.com/v1/{skoffer.jar<http://api.skoffer.com/v1/%7Bskoffer.jar>
> <http://api.skoffer.com/v1/%7Bskoffer.jar>,
> >    skoffer.jar.info}. This looks avoidable and should be avoided if
> >    possible.
> >
> The Java permissions are needed to be able to take screenshots of the PC
> screen (Java class "java.awt.Robot"), which is oviously needed.
> This is not possible with an applet that runs in the normal Java sandbox.
> The operating system's tmp folder is used to store the recorded video
> and audio if needed (some PCs dont't have much RAM).
> >    - The general method of inserting the <skoffer> tag into the page does
> >    not work across platforms and browsers. Some other way must be found.
> >
> Again, weird, since it was tested with all major browsers. (but this
> point and the two after the next are caused by the same issue)
> >    - Integration with mediawiki is poor and the interface lacks basic
> >    features, such as the ability to download the movie, or embed it in
> another
> >    site.
> >
> The goal was to be able to record and insert screencasts as easy as
> possible. The plugin was not designed for the tasks you mentioned.
> It is a basic implementation of the simple Skoffer "API" from
> http://www.skoffer.com/The_skoffer_api (on this page you can find infos
> how to embed the screencasts in other sites, if wanted).
>
> >    - Regarding "This screencast will be available shortly," how long is
> >    "shortly," and how will the user know when it is now available? They
> have to
> >    continue refreshing the page? For how long?
> >
> This time should be round about as long as the screencasts lasts. A
> screencast that's a few seconds short should be ready in seconds.
> > *Linux - *Ubuntu Inrepid Ibex with Firefox 3.0.4 and Java 1.6.0 - Core 2
> duo
> > @ 3GHz w/ 8GB ram
> >
> >    - I get to "Uploading your screencast", it spins for a minute, and
> then
> >    all evidence of Skoffer goes away. It does not insert anything into
> the edit
> >    box
> >
> That's because of the issue below.
> >    - If I leave the 'screen-recorder initiator' popup, after the
> "Uploading
> >    your screencast" popup goes away, this popup gets redirected to '
> >    mydomain.com/extensions/skoffer/<insert 3-4 random unicode
> characters>',
> >    which is naturally a 404 error. The characters are different every
> time.
> >    bizarre.
> >
> The popup 'screen-recorder initiator' is loaded from
> http://domain.tld/extensions/skoffer/skoffer_insert.php?new
> When the "skoffer_insert.php"  is  started  without the GET variable
> "skofferid" it starts the Java applet ( the screen recorder). The Java
> applet checks from which URL it was started and redirects the user to
> this address
> + "&skofferid=<screencast ID> after saving the screencast. Now the
> "skoffer_insert.php" is loaded with the GET variable "skofferid" (for
> example
>
> http://domain.tld/extensions/skoffer/skoffer_insert.php?new&skofferid=123456789
> )
> and inserts the ID to the text form (in this example it would insert
> <skoffer>123456789</skoffer>). This is explained at
> http://www.skoffer.com/Php_api_example , too, if you are interested.
>
> You said the popup gets a 404 error because it trys to load
> http://mydomain.com/extensions/skoffer/<insert 3-4 random unicode
> characters>
> I'm confused about the 3-4 unicode characters (if it were 32, then it
> could be the video ID).
> If you can do more tests with the new information (which I wrote above)
> it would be great. I guess the the applet is not able to detect on which
> URL it is loaded and forwards the popup to the wrong URL (like you said:
> a 404 error)
>
> >    - If I click 'Finish this screencast' before 'Pause recording' then
> the
> >    recording timer keeps counting. Small things like this are very
> confusing to
> >    users.
> >
> This is not the normal behaviour of the applet. It seems the applet did
> not run correctly after an exception. Please clear your Java cache, and
> close all browsers. Please test it only in one instance at once (not in
> two browsers on the same machine). After an error please restart the
> browser and clear the browser's and Java's cache. You can see in the
> Java console if the applet outputs exceptions.
> The issue with the time shows that there was an exception, which could
> have caused the issue that the applet was not able to redirect the popup
> correctly, too.
>
>  - There are several windows that show up in my linux taskbar that are
> >    apparantly used to draw the recording interface. Can't these be
> consolidated
> >    into one?
> >
> This aesthetic thing will maybe changed in a newer version of the screen
> recorder, because you are right it's confusing, even it does not impact
> the screencast recording process per se.
> > *Mac - *OSX Leopard with Safari 3.1.2 and Java 1.5 - Core 2 duo @ 3GHz w/
> > 4GB ram
> >
> >    - The <skoffer> tags are only inserted into the textarea if I bring it
> >    into focus with my mouse after telling it to upload the screencast. If
> I
> >    don't click in the edit box, the behavior is just like linux, e.g., it
> >    doesn't work at all.
> >       - I was never able to get it to insert the <skoffer> tags again
> after
> >       this attempt
> >    - The red line you are supposed to move your mouse over is totally
> >    occluded by the main OSX navigation bar which resides at the top of
> the
> >    screen. I found this feature to be very confusing and suggest it be
> dropped.
> >    I suggest making the only way to stop a recording be to click the
> finish
> >    recording button.
> >
> >
> You are right. OSX seems to cover the red line which can be used stop
> the recording. Thanks.
> Maybe the red line is moved to the left or right side instead of the
> top. The ability to stop the recording with the red line instead of a
> button is considered helpful because the red line is not visible in the
> resulting screencast.
> A button to stop the fullscreen recording would be visible during the
> whole screencast.
>
> > Windows - Windows XP with Internet Explorer 8 beta - P4 @ 3GHz w/ 512MB
> ram
> >
> >    - It appeared to work as advertised, but I don't know how long the
> "This
> >    screencast will be available shortly" screen will be up. I still
> haven't
> >    seen an actual recorded video.
> >
> >
> The "This screencast will be available shorty" message is actually a flv
> file which is placed at the screencasts URL in the moment where the
> encoding process starts (that the user knows that the screencasts was
> send correctly). Maybe your browser doen´t check on a page refresh if
> the flv video file changed (and displays a cached version).
> > I think Skoffer is close to being usable, but right now it is a
> Windows-only
> > app and I don't know anyone who uses Windows. I just tried it on my
> > development Windows machine to check.
> >
> I will check. I successfully tested it on Ubuntu and Xubuntu where I
> added Java support to Firefox with
>
> "sudo apt-get install sun-java5-plugin"
> or
> "sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin"
> > Cheers,
> > Brian
> >
> >
> Thanks, Stefan
>
> _______________________________________________
> MediaWiki-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
>



--
(Not sent from my iPhone)
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MediaWiki plugin to record screencasts directly from the edit page

Erik Moeller-4
In reply to this post by Skoffer.com Team
2008/12/13 Skoffer.com Team <[hidden email]>:
> I contribute to the Skoffer project, and like to point you to my Skoffer
> MediaWiki plugin (GPL).
> Skoffer is a free uncommercial project which lets you build in a
> screencast recorder into your website. Since MediaWiki is great to make
> sofware documentations, the ability to to record screencasts (in
> unlimited resolutions and lengths) without installing a software (it´s
> Java based) could be interesting for some of you.

Is Skoffer itself (going to be) open source?

Thanks,
Erik

--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Support Free Knowledge: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MediaWiki plugin to record screencasts directly from the edit page

Skoffer.com Team
Hi Erik,

the Java screen recorder not, everything else yes (if someone makes a
plugin that uses the "API" then it's up to him).
The screen recorder alone would only be of use when you have a root
server with full access, because a lot of the screencast creation
process is done by server-side software, like encoders.
Deploying the system is not very easy.

Regards, Stefan


Erik Moeller schrieb:

> 2008/12/13 Skoffer.com Team <[hidden email]>:
>  
>> I contribute to the Skoffer project, and like to point you to my Skoffer
>> MediaWiki plugin (GPL).
>> Skoffer is a free uncommercial project which lets you build in a
>> screencast recorder into your website. Since MediaWiki is great to make
>> sofware documentations, the ability to to record screencasts (in
>> unlimited resolutions and lengths) without installing a software (it´s
>> Java based) could be interesting for some of you.
>>    
>
> Is Skoffer itself (going to be) open source?
>
> Thanks,
> Erik
>
>  


_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MediaWiki plugin to record screencasts directly from the edit page

Erik Moeller-4
2008/12/15 Skoffer.com Team <[hidden email]>:
> the Java screen recorder not, everything else yes (if someone makes a
> plugin that uses the "API" then it's up to him).
> The screen recorder alone would only be of use when you have a root
> server with full access, because a lot of the screencast creation
> process is done by server-side software, like encoders.
> Deploying the system is not very easy.

Sure. I think something like this would be potentially very useful for
Wikipedia & other Wikimedia wikis, if it could be built as a 100% open
source toolchain. It would be cool for purposes such as building wiki
tutorials directly in the wiki.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Support Free Knowledge: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Problem of Skoffer

Mohammad Towfiqul Islam
In reply to this post by Skoffer.com Team
Dear Skoffer Team,
 
Thanks for this nice extension.
 
I have successfully installed the extension but after screen recording when I try to save and upload it to Mediawiki edit window its showing pop-up window with a message: "uploading your screecast" after that nothing is happening...Nothing is uplaoding even code into the mediawiki edit window.
 
I am using Mediawiki 1.12, and Windows XP with XAMPP server, IE6.0 with Pentuim 4, 512 RAM.
 
Could you please suggest me some solutions?
 
Regards,
 -Towfiq

--- On Sat, 12/13/08, Skoffer.com Team <[hidden email]> wrote:

From: Skoffer.com Team <[hidden email]>
Subject: [Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki plugin to record screencasts directly from the edit page
To: [hidden email]
Date: Saturday, December 13, 2008, 5:56 PM

Hi everyone on the list,

I contribute to the Skoffer project, and like to point you to my Skoffer
MediaWiki plugin (GPL).
Skoffer is a free uncommercial project which lets you build in a
screencast recorder into your website. Since MediaWiki is great to make
sofware documentations, the ability to to record screencasts (in
unlimited resolutions and lengths) without installing a software (it´s
Java based) could be interesting for some of you.

If your website could make use of it, please have a look at
http://www.skoffer.com and/or on my blog post
http://www.stefanschulzesteinmann.com/skoffer-mediawiki-plugin/
If you want to see a demo: There are two screencasts in my blog post
which I recorded as a demonstration. The one shows how I create the other.

A happy 3. advent,
Stefan Schulze Steinmann

PS: By the way, you are the first persons who know about Skoffer. This
mail is the project´s starting shot.





_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l



     
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l