MediaWiki sample implementation as document repository

MediaWiki sample implementation as document repository

Ivan Lanin-2
Dear all,

A friend of mine, working on a lawyer firm, asked me if MediaWiki is
suitable for knowledge management. I instantly said YES :)

He then asked me if there's any sample of MW implementation for a lot
of document (doc, xls, etc) uploads/repository. So, could anyone help
me to answer his question? Is there any sample for this kind of
requirement?

Ivan Lanin

Re: MediaWiki sample implementation as document repository

Daniel Barrett-3
MediaWiki is a fantastic wiki, but it is TERRIBLE for document management.

In a real document management system, here is how you edit a document:

1. Click the document, locking it from edits by other users
2. Edit it
3. Save it

It's that simple. In MediaWiki, it looks like this, EVERY time you need to edit:

1. Download the document to your PC.
2. Edit it.
3. Save it.
4. Browse to the MediaWiki upload page
5. Upload it, using the same File:xxxxx name as the original document (assuming you remember it)
6. Panic, when you realize someone else uploaded the same document a few minutes before you did, and you just wiped out their changes without realizing.

MediaWiki is not a content management system.  It's just an amazing wiki.

DanB

Re: MediaWiki sample implementation as document repository

Ivan Lanin-2
Thanks. I finally told him to look specifically for document
management software :(

--
Ivan Lanin

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 12:48 AM, Daniel Barrett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> MediaWiki is a fantastic wiki, but it is TERRIBLE for document management.
>
> In a real document management system, here is how you edit a document:
>
> 1. Click the document, locking it from edits by other users
> 2. Edit it
> 3. Save it
>
> It's that simple. In MediaWiki, it looks like this, EVERY time you need to edit:
>
> 1. Download the document to your PC.
> 2. Edit it.
> 3. Save it.
> 4. Browse to the MediaWiki upload page
> 5. Upload it, using the same File:xxxxx name as the original document (assuming you remember it)
> 6. Panic, when you realize someone else uploaded the same document a few minutes before you did, and you just wiped out their changes without realizing.
>
> MediaWiki is not a content management system.  It's just an amazing wiki.
>
> DanB

Re: MediaWiki sample implementation as document repository

Yost, Greg
My company intended to you MediaWiki basically for content management.
Because of the inherent difficulties in that, it has become more of a
navigation tool and the content is stored elsewhere.

They like the wiki idea and are trying to figure out other uses for it.

Does anoyone know if there is there another wiki which is better suited
for content management?

Thanks

[...]

The information contained in this email is confidential and/or
legally privileged. It has been sent for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s). If the reader of this message is not an intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication,
or any of its content, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please contact the sender by
reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.

www.clearswift.com

Re: MediaWiki sample implementation as document repository

Benjamin Horst
I suggest looking at open source Enterprise Content Management
applications. One that's designed to work well with MediaWiki is
Alfresco, www.alfresco.com.

Another similar option is O3Spaces, designed to complement OpenOffice
originally, but just as good as a general purpose ECM: www.o3spaces.com

-Ben

On Apr 16, 2009, at 7:24 AM, Yost, Greg wrote:

> My company intended to you MediaWiki basically for content management.
> Because of the inherent difficulties in that, it has become more of a
> navigation tool and the content is stored elsewhere.
>
> They like the wiki idea and are trying to figure out other uses for
> it.
>

> Does anoyone know if there is there another wiki which is better
> suited
> for content management?
>
> Thanks

Benjamin Horst
[hidden email]
646-464-2314 (Eastern)
www.solidoffice.com

Re: MediaWiki sample implementation as document repository

Brian J Mingus
Semantic MediaWiki.

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 5:10 AM, Ivan Lanin <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> A friend of mine, working on a lawyer firm, asked me if MediaWiki is
> suitable for knowledge management. I instantly said YES :)
>
> He then asked me if there's any sample of MW implementation for a lot
> of document (doc, xls, etc) uploads/repository. So, could anyone help
> me to answer his question? Is there any sample for this kind of
> requirement?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Ivan Lanin

Re: MediaWiki sample implementation as document repository

Christensen, Courtney
On Apr 16, 2009, at 7:24 AM, Yost, Greg wrote:

> My company intended to you MediaWiki basically for content management.
> Because of the inherent difficulties in that, it has become more of a
> navigation tool and the content is stored elsewhere.
>
> They like the wiki idea and are trying to figure out other uses for
> it.
>

> Does anoyone know if there is there another wiki which is better
> suited
> for content management?
>
> Thanks

What about SVN for the documents?  It might be a little too technical, but with tortoiseSVN...

On a more pretty and webby note, www.openCMS.org

Good luck!
-Courtney