MediaWiki template page edit by IP?

Thomas Gries
Hello,

recently I saw this edit of a template page on MediaWiki
https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Template:RSSPost&oldid=979205 by
an anon.

Do we really have the template Namespace on MediaWiki open for edits by
anons?

In my view, this should be changed.

Re: MediaWiki template page edit by IP?

Mormegil

Yes. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:ListGroupRights

> In my view, this should be changed.

Why? Do you know any WMF project where the whole Template namespace is
semiprotected?

-- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]

Re: MediaWiki template page edit by IP?

Martijn Hoekstra
On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Petr Kadlec <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Thomas Gries <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Do we really have the template Namespace on MediaWiki open for edits by
> > anons?
> >

> Yes. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:ListGroupRights
>

> > In my view, this should be changed.
> >

> Why? Do you know any WMF project where the whole Template namespace is
> semiprotected?
>

> -- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]

Why indeed. Note that the only thing special or magical about the template
namespace is that {{something}} shortcuts to {{template:something}}. Other
than that it's just another page.

I have no idea why users of a who are mad enough to want to edit a template
but don't have an account should be disallowed from doing so, other than
that we should be making it obligatory to require informed consent before
exposing anyone to template syntax. As long as we're not doing that for
logged in users, I frankly can't seen the difference.

--Martijn Hoekstra

Re: MediaWiki template page edit by IP?

Jasper Deng
Sensitive templates get protected on an as-needed basis. We welcome
contributions from anon users here.

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 1:47 AM, Martijn Hoekstra <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Petr Kadlec <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Thomas Gries <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Do we really have the template Namespace on MediaWiki open for edits by
> > > anons?
> > >

> > Yes. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:ListGroupRights
> >

> > > In my view, this should be changed.
> > >

> > Why? Do you know any WMF project where the whole Template namespace is
> > semiprotected?
> >

> > -- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]
> >

> Why indeed. Note that the only thing special or magical about the template
> namespace is that {{something}} shortcuts to {{template:something}}. Other
> than that it's just another page.
>
> I have no idea why users of a who are mad enough to want to edit a template
> but don't have an account should be disallowed from doing so, other than
> that we should be making it obligatory to require informed consent before
> exposing anyone to template syntax. As long as we're not doing that for
> logged in users, I frankly can't seen the difference.
>

> --Martijn Hoekstra

Re: MediaWiki template page edit by IP?

Thomas Gries
> Hello,
>
> recently I saw this edit of a template page on MediaWiki
> https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Template:RSSPost&oldid=979205
> by an anon.
>
> Do we really have the template Namespace on MediaWiki open for edits
> by anons?

In the past, /this /page was indeed a vey /sensitive /template because
it determined the rendering of RSS feeds on MediaWiki pages. This was
the reason why I was surprised yesterday, that it could be edited by
someone without an account.

On /enwiki /I know many templates which are fully protected. This is why
I expected that our documentation and developer MediaWiki wiki also
protects Template pages. This was apparently not the case.

Regarding the Template:Repost page:

I deleted that specific page. it is not used any more, because the
Extension:RSS only since a while templates from the (system messages)
MediaWiki:namespace, which is protected by default.

Re: MediaWiki template page edit by IP?

William Moskowitz
Please delete my name from your mailing list.

[hidden email]

William Moskowitz