Mediawiki core has reached to its 400th contributor

Mediawiki core has reached to its 400th contributor

Amir Sarabadani-2
Hey,
Today I was checking mediawiki/core in github:
https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki
And number of contributors is now 400. It might be a little more if we
count SVN era.
To me, it's an important milestone. More important than number of commits
or releases. It's about people not numbers or lines of code.

Best

Re: Mediawiki core has reached to its 400th contributor

Ricordisamoa
Il 07/02/2017 08:56, Amir Ladsgroup ha scritto:
> Hey,
> Today I was checking mediawiki/core in github:
> https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki
> And number of contributors is now 400. It might be a little more if we
> count SVN era.
> To me, it's an important milestone. More important than number of commits
> or releases. It's about people not numbers or lines of code.
>
> Best

Hi, according to the CREDITS file there are 646 contributors :)

Re: Mediawiki core has reached to its 400th contributor

bawolff
Actually, that's probably double counting svn contributors, since svn
contributors are in the git history under a different email then they
currently used (If they are still around).

Nonetheless, that's a nice milestone.

--
Brian

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 7:56 AM, Amir Ladsgroup <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey,
> Today I was checking mediawiki/core in github:
> https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki
> And number of contributors is now 400. It might be a little more if we
> count SVN era.
> To me, it's an important milestone. More important than number of commits
> or releases. It's about people not numbers or lines of code.
>
> Best

Re: Mediawiki core has reached to its 400th contributor

Bartosz Dziewoński
The commits from SVN era are confounded in both directions. On one hand,
like Brian says, people who still commit today are counted double. On the
other, patches that were submitted through Bugzilla or mailing lists by
one-time contributors are counted under the name of the committer who
applied them (and not the real author), unlike today when you submit them
through Gerrit.

--
Matma Rex

Re: Mediawiki core has reached to its 400th contributor

MusikAnimal-2
And not long before we hit 75,000 commits! :D

~Leon

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 10:09 AM, Bartosz Dziewoński <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The commits from SVN era are confounded in both directions. On one hand,
> like Brian says, people who still commit today are counted double. On the
> other, patches that were submitted through Bugzilla or mailing lists by
> one-time contributors are counted under the name of the committer who
> applied them (and not the real author), unlike today when you submit them
> through Gerrit.
>
> --
> Matma Rex

Re: Mediawiki core has reached to its 400th contributor

Antoine Musso-3
On 07/02/17 12:53, bawolff wrote:
> Actually, that's probably double counting svn contributors, since svn
> contributors are in the git history under a different email then they
> currently used (If they are still around).

The different email is solved in mediawiki/core via the .mailmap file at
the root of the repository.  Lets one define emails alias and a
canonical email.

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/213559/

> Nonetheless, that's a nice milestone.

Every milestones are good to announce and most importantly to celebrate!

--
Antoine Musso

Re: Mediawiki core has reached to its 400th contributor

Federico Leva (Nemo)
https://www.openhub.net/p/mediawiki tends to be more accurate (people at
least can easily de-duplicate email addresses etc.) and says 700+.

Do help https://www.openhub.net/orgs/wikimedia by adding more
repositories and claiming more email address/commit IDs for yourself. :)

Nemo