Mediawiki install problem

Eric-79

Good evening all.

Brand new mediawiki user with a bit of a problem early in the install process.

I read through the INSTALL, README, and RELEASE-NOTES docs, grepped on some
keywords in everything in docs and its subdirectories, searched the FAQ,
and searched through Usenet via dejanews.

The problem is that I get to the part in INSTALL where it says "Hop into
your browser and surf into the wiki directory", and I get:

     Forbidden

     You don't have permission to access /wiki/ on this server.

The httpd error log says:

     Permission denied: access to /wiki/index.php denied

I checked the permissions of the wiki directory and its contents and they
look fine... everything is world readable, and the config directory and its
contents is owned by the apache user.

Tried changing EVERYTHING to be owned by the apache user, including the
wiki directory itself, no luck.

Tried moving everything out of the wiki directory and making a
wiki/index.html with "Hello, world" and it worked fine.

Tried renaming the wiki directory to something else and still got the
"Forbidden" message.

Checked through all httpd config files and none show anything that could
reasonably account for it.

I have run other PHP applications, notably horde and turba, and they run fine.

Versions are:
OS: Fedora Core 5
PHP: 5.1.2
MySQL:  5.0.18
Mediawiki:  1.8.2

Any ideas?  I know absolutely nothing worth knowing about PHP but I do have
many years of off-and-on experience in Linux system administration and
website administration, and I'm pretty sure I have things set up as they
should be.

Re: Mediawiki install problem

Kasimir Gabert
Hello Eric,

You need to have the permissions set to execute on the PHP scripts as
well as readable.  I hope that this helps,

Kasimir Gabert

On 11/11/06, Eric <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good evening all.
>
> Brand new mediawiki user with a bit of a problem early in the install process.
>
> I read through the INSTALL, README, and RELEASE-NOTES docs, grepped on some
> keywords in everything in docs and its subdirectories, searched the FAQ,
> and searched through Usenet via dejanews.
>
> The problem is that I get to the part in INSTALL where it says "Hop into
> your browser and surf into the wiki directory", and I get:
>
>      Forbidden
>
>      You don't have permission to access /wiki/ on this server.
>
> The httpd error log says:
>
>      Permission denied: access to /wiki/index.php denied
>
> I checked the permissions of the wiki directory and its contents and they
> look fine... everything is world readable, and the config directory and its
> contents is owned by the apache user.
>
> Tried changing EVERYTHING to be owned by the apache user, including the
> wiki directory itself, no luck.
>
> Tried moving everything out of the wiki directory and making a
> wiki/index.html with "Hello, world" and it worked fine.
>
> Tried renaming the wiki directory to something else and still got the
> "Forbidden" message.
>
> Checked through all httpd config files and none show anything that could
> reasonably account for it.
>
> I have run other PHP applications, notably horde and turba, and they run fine.
>
> Versions are:
> OS: Fedora Core 5
> PHP: 5.1.2
> MySQL:  5.0.18
> Mediawiki:  1.8.2
>
> Any ideas?  I know absolutely nothing worth knowing about PHP but I do have
> many years of off-and-on experience in Linux system administration and
> website administration, and I'm pretty sure I have things set up as they
> should be.

Kasimir Gabert

Re: Mediawiki install problem

Eric-79
At 08:15 PM 11/11/2006, Kasimir Gabert wrote:

<KG>>>>>You need to have the permissions set to execute on the PHP scripts
as well as readable.  I hope that this helps,<<<<<

Good evening, Kasimir.

I thought of that and had earlier set index.php to executable, and it had
no beneficial effect.  I just tried setting ALL php files to executable and
that didn't work either.

I don't have much experience with php but I do know that the horde and
turba applications, all php, don't require that the php scripts be set to
execute.

In any case, it didn't fix the problem... :-(

Thanks for the response...

Eric

Wiki for Fedora Core 2, PHP 4.3.4, MySQL 3.28

Eric-79

We have another server (separate from the one on which I'm having the
install problem described in other messages) that runs Fedora Core 2, PHP
4.3.4, and MySQL 3.23.58.

For reasons beyond our control, we cannot upgrade that server any time very
soon.

I know Mediawiki requires newer versions of PHP and MySQL than that, and so
we are unable to install Mediawiki on that particular machine.  Is there
another reasonably full-featured wiki that any of you can suggest that will
run on those versions?

Thanks...

Re: Wiki for Fedora Core 2, PHP 4.3.4, MySQL 3.28

Titoxd@Wikimedia
MediaWiki 1.5 should be able to run on PHP 4 and MySQL 3, so that may be an
option. It is not currently being supported though.

Titoxd.

Re: Mediawiki install problem

MHart
ssh to the server, assuming default install locations...

su to become root...

cd /var/www/html
chown -R youruser:apache wiki
chmod -R a+w wiki

should be all you need to be able to read the file. If that doesn't work,
try creating a new folder and putting an index.php in it:

mkdir /var/www/html/wikitest
nano /var/www/html/wikitest/index.php

for that index.php:

<?php echo phpinfo(); ?>