[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki 2.0 Development

Virgil Ierubino
If a user (like myself) happened to take it upon himself to begin work on
coding brand new wiki software based on MediaWiki, and released it under a
free license, and made it fairly easy to upgrade to on a server running a
MediaWiki database (i.e. just change all the PHP files), and it was (assume
this) in fact much better than MediaWiki 1.10a, would the Wikimedia
Foundation adopt it for its projects?

Just a question. Because MediaWiki 2.0 would be pretty sexy, but no one
seems to be proactive about it. And I'd like to be.

Re: [Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki 2.0 Development

Fernando Correia
Don't be shy. Why don't you give it a shot?

Re: [Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki 2.0 Development

Ashar Voultoiz-2
Virgil Ierubino wrote:
> If a user (like myself) happened to take it upon himself to begin work on
> coding brand new wiki software based on MediaWiki, and released it under a
> free license, and made it fairly easy to upgrade to on a server running a
> MediaWiki database (i.e. just change all the PHP files), and it was (assume
> this) in fact much better than MediaWiki 1.10a, would the Wikimedia
> Foundation adopt it for its projects?
>
> Just a question. Because MediaWiki 2.0 would be pretty sexy, but no one
> seems to be proactive about it. And I'd like to be.

What is your plan exactly ? How many people are working on your idea ?
Do you have any code ?

Remember MediaWiki is a 6 years old software maintained by more than 10
people. It supports database load balancing, memory cache, parser cache,
hooks for plugins, a skin system, utf8 and HTML sanitizer, ton of
languages for i18n ...

I am not sure someone can write something like that in a couple of
months. Still you can try doing it :)

Meantime, maybe you can expose what can be made better in MediaWiki 1.10
and we can start coding it as a group :p

Please follow up on mediawiki-l :)

cheers,

--
Ashar Voultoiz - WP++++
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Hashar

Re: [Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki 2.0 Development

Bugzilla from sy1234@gmail.com
On 1/26/07, Virgil Ierubino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> would the Wikimedia
> Foundation adopt it for its projects?

Would your featureset be different from mediawiki?  If not, why are
you doing it?  If so, why would wikimedia adopt software which doesn't
have the correct featureset?  This is a strange topic.

Why not just join the wikimedia team?  Start by visiting the bugs
list, and adding your ideas as feature-requests, along with patches.