[Mediawiki-l] Test wiki for posting more complex questions to this list?

[Mediawiki-l] Test wiki for posting more complex questions to this list?

kellyterryjones
Thanks to everyone who's been helping.

As I get closer to my goal, I have some more complex questions
regarding templates, protected pages, transclusions, pre-loading, etc.

It would be really useful to have a "test wiki" I could point people
to to show them what I've done so far, and why it doesn't work.

Ideally, this would be one where any registered user could
protect/unprotect pages (of course, giving any user the power to
protect/unprotect pages makes protection meaningless, but this would
be more to experiment with protected pages, not actually protect
them).

Is there such a "test wiki" out there?

I realize I could create test pages and even templates on ANY wiki
(even mediawiki.org or wikipedia.org), but it would be wrong to

Re: [Mediawiki-l] Test wiki for posting more complex questions to this list?

Benjamin Lees
You could set up such a test wiki pretty easily: Just set it up on a
separate webspace from your main one (testwiki.lspace.org, or whatever), and
add:
$wgGroupPermissions['user']['protect'] = true;
To LocalSettings.php.  Then users could protect and unprotect pages when
logged in, and log out to see how they would be without the protection
permission.

On 1/30/07, Kelly Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who's been helping.
>
> As I get closer to my goal, I have some more complex questions
> regarding templates, protected pages, transclusions, pre-loading, etc.
>
> It would be really useful to have a "test wiki" I could point people
> to to show them what I've done so far, and why it doesn't work.
>
> Ideally, this would be one where any registered user could
> protect/unprotect pages (of course, giving any user the power to
> protect/unprotect pages makes protection meaningless, but this would
> be more to experiment with protected pages, not actually protect
> them).
>
> Is there such a "test wiki" out there?
>
> I realize I could create test pages and even templates on ANY wiki
> (even mediawiki.org or wikipedia.org), but it would be wrong to
>
> --
> We're just a Bunch Of Regular Guys, a collective group that's trying
> to understand and assimilate technology. We feel that resistance to
> new ideas and technology is unwise and ultimately futile.

Emufarmers Sangly
Pirate, Cowboy,
Hellraiser

Re: [Mediawiki-l] Test wiki for posting more complex questions to this list?

kellyterryjones
Thanks, Emufarmers. I don't own wiki.lspace.org, I'm just a user. I
don't really own any wikis or server space. I tried setting up a
MediaWiki on awardspace.com (free webspace like geocities/tripod/etc),
but it's so slow + works so poorly that I can't really use it for
testing.

Thanks also to Ittay for answering my earlier "Annotating a protected
document on a per-user, per-section basis" question. Since I don't own
wiki.lspace.org, I can't install my own extensions. The wiki owner
might install any "standard" extension on request, but probably won't
install anything experimental.

On 1/30/07, Emufarmers Sangly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You could set up such a test wiki pretty easily: Just set it up on a
> separate webspace from your main one (testwiki.lspace.org, or whatever), and
> add:
> $wgGroupPermissions['user']['protect'] = true;
> To LocalSettings.php.  Then users could protect and unprotect pages when
> logged in, and log out to see how they would be without the protection
> permission.
>
> On 1/30/07, Kelly Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks to everyone who's been helping.
> >
> > As I get closer to my goal, I have some more complex questions
> > regarding templates, protected pages, transclusions, pre-loading, etc.
> >
> > It would be really useful to have a "test wiki" I could point people
> > to to show them what I've done so far, and why it doesn't work.
> >
> > Ideally, this would be one where any registered user could
> > protect/unprotect pages (of course, giving any user the power to
> > protect/unprotect pages makes protection meaningless, but this would
> > be more to experiment with protected pages, not actually protect
> > them).
> >
> > Is there such a "test wiki" out there?
> >
> > I realize I could create test pages and even templates on ANY wiki
> > (even mediawiki.org or wikipedia.org), but it would be wrong to

Re: [Mediawiki-l] Test wiki for posting more complex questions to this list?

Schuyler Thompson
Perhaps we could set one up on Wikia?

On 1/31/07, Kelly Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Emufarmers. I don't own wiki.lspace.org, I'm just a user. I
> don't really own any wikis or server space. I tried setting up a
> MediaWiki on awardspace.com (free webspace like geocities/tripod/etc),
> but it's so slow + works so poorly that I can't really use it for
> testing.
>
> Thanks also to Ittay for answering my earlier "Annotating a protected
> document on a per-user, per-section basis" question. Since I don't own
> wiki.lspace.org, I can't install my own extensions. The wiki owner
> might install any "standard" extension on request, but probably won't
> install anything experimental.
>
> --
> We're just a Bunch Of Regular Guys, a collective group that's trying
> to understand and assimilate technology. We feel that resistance to
> new ideas and technology is unwise and ultimately futile.
>
> On 1/30/07, Emufarmers Sangly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > You could set up such a test wiki pretty easily: Just set it up on a
> > separate webspace from your main one (testwiki.lspace.org, or whatever),
> and
> > add:
> > $wgGroupPermissions['user']['protect'] = true;
> > To LocalSettings.php.  Then users could protect and unprotect pages when
> > logged in, and log out to see how they would be without the protection
> > permission.
> >
> > On 1/30/07, Kelly Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks to everyone who's been helping.
> > >
> > > As I get closer to my goal, I have some more complex questions
> > > regarding templates, protected pages, transclusions, pre-loading, etc.
> > >
> > > It would be really useful to have a "test wiki" I could point people
> > > to to show them what I've done so far, and why it doesn't work.
> > >
> > > Ideally, this would be one where any registered user could
> > > protect/unprotect pages (of course, giving any user the power to
> > > protect/unprotect pages makes protection meaningless, but this would
> > > be more to experiment with protected pages, not actually protect
> > > them).
> > >
> > > Is there such a "test wiki" out there?
> > >
> > > I realize I could create test pages and even templates on ANY wiki
> > > (even mediawiki.org or wikipedia.org), but it would be wrong to

---------------------

later,
Schuyler

AIM: skydawg1990
MSN: [hidden email]
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/schuyler_skooz

Re: [Mediawiki-l] Test wiki for posting more complex questions to this list?

Schuyler Thompson
Perhaps this would sort of work:
http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Testingwiki

I just created it. Templates are shared between all 'mini-wikis' though, and
you dont have access to the configuration files or anything.

On 1/31/07, Schuyler Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Perhaps we could set one up on Wikia?
>
> On 1/31/07, Kelly Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks, Emufarmers. I don't own wiki.lspace.org, I'm just a user. I
> > don't really own any wikis or server space. I tried setting up a
> > MediaWiki on awardspace.com (free webspace like geocities/tripod/etc),
> > but it's so slow + works so poorly that I can't really use it for
> > testing.
> >
> > Thanks also to Ittay for answering my earlier "Annotating a protected
> > document on a per-user, per-section basis" question. Since I don't own
> > wiki.lspace.org , I can't install my own extensions. The wiki owner
> > might install any "standard" extension on request, but probably won't
> > install anything experimental.
> >
> > --
> > We're just a Bunch Of Regular Guys, a collective group that's trying
> > to understand and assimilate technology. We feel that resistance to
> > new ideas and technology is unwise and ultimately futile.
> >
> > On 1/30/07, Emufarmers Sangly <[hidden email] > wrote:
> > > You could set up such a test wiki pretty easily: Just set it up on a
> > > separate webspace from your main one (testwiki.lspace.org, or
> > whatever), and
> > > add:
> > > $wgGroupPermissions['user']['protect'] = true;
> > > To LocalSettings.php.  Then users could protect and unprotect pages
> > when
> > > logged in, and log out to see how they would be without the protection
> >
> > > permission.

> > etc.

> ---------------------
>
> later,
> Schuyler
>
> AIM: skydawg1990
> MSN: [hidden email]
> MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/schuyler_skooz

--
---------------------

later,
Schuyler

AIM: skydawg1990
MSN: [hidden email]
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/schuyler_skooz

Re: [Mediawiki-l] Test wiki for posting more complex questions to this list?

Bugzilla from sy1234@gmail.com
I can set up a domain or subdomain on my own hosting so you can do
whatever you'd like..

(except SSH access, unless I get a public key)

Let me know if you want to go that route..

But experimenting might be just as easy with something like xampp on
your personal computer.

On 1/31/07, Sy Ali <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can set up a domain or subdomain on my own hosting so you can do
> whatever you'd like..

Oh crap, I just realized that that hosting is stuck on php4 still.  =/

Re: [Mediawiki-l] Test wiki for posting more complex questions to this list?

Angela-5
Please don't use Wikia's Scratchpad for test wikis. It for real
projects which are too small to have their own wiki, not for making a
mess. :)

I suggest http://test.wikipedia.org/ instead.

Angela

--