[Mediawiki-l] The Ideal Wiki Software

Virgil Ierubino
In an ideal world, what features would the ideal Wiki Software have, and
what would it be like?

If we can answer this question, developmental direction is made clear. It is
easy to develop MediaWiki with view to improving it, streamlining it,
ironing out bugs - but much more difficult to look beyond it; for the future
of Wikimedia projects and general wiki success, new software must emerge
that caters for the new functions required by modern wiki users.

What functions would set MediaWiki well above all other wiki engines for
years to come?
What features would make it the most efficient wiki engine?
**What would the software be like if it generated maximal wiki success?**

To discuss this (what I find an interesting) question, I've set up a page at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_Ideal

Obviously the answers to these questions won't necessarily be possible to
implement; but it would be interesting to know the answers nonetheless.

Look forward to some bright ideas :)

Re: [Mediawiki-l] The Ideal Wiki Software

Raquel Rice
On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 05:35:32 +0000
"Virgil Ierubino" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In an ideal world, what features would the ideal Wiki Software
> have, and what would it be like?
>
> If we can answer this question, developmental direction is made
> clear. It is easy to develop MediaWiki with view to improving it,
> streamlining it, ironing out bugs - but much more difficult to
> look beyond it; for the future of Wikimedia projects and general
> wiki success, new software must emerge that caters for the new
> functions required by modern wiki users.
>
> What functions would set MediaWiki well above all other wiki
> engines for years to come?
> What features would make it the most efficient wiki engine?
> **What would the software be like if it generated maximal wiki
> success?**
>
> To discuss this (what I find an interesting) question, I've set up
> a page at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_Ideal
>
> Obviously the answers to these questions won't necessarily be
> possible to implement; but it would be interesting to know the
> answers nonetheless.
>
> Look forward to some bright ideas :)

I thought that MediaWiki was written specifically for the projects
of the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation.  Period.  I didn't think
that it was intended to compete with other wiki software.

--
Raquel
I have always thought that all men should be free; but if any should

Re: [Mediawiki-l] The Ideal Wiki Software

Jérémie Bouillon
Virgil Ierubino wrote:
> If we can answer this question, developmental direction is made clear. It is
> easy to develop MediaWiki with view to improving it, streamlining it,
> ironing out bugs - but much more difficult to look beyond it; for the future
> of Wikimedia projects and general wiki success, new software must emerge
> that caters for the new functions required by modern wiki users.

Do you ask that as part of the dev team, even remotely?

I don't mean to be rude, but it's the 3549684 message on that topic on
various media (and various software, each software has its own),
and—except if initiated and monitored by the dev team—it's not doing any
good or going anywhere.

Re: [Mediawiki-l] The Ideal Wiki Software

Rolf Lampa [RIL]
Raquel wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 05:35:32 +0000
>
> "Virgil Ierubino" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> In an ideal world, what features would the ideal Wiki Software
>> have, and what would it be like?
>>
>> If we can answer this question, developmental direction is made
>> clear.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> What functions would set MediaWiki well above all other wiki
>> engines for years to come?
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Look forward to some bright ideas :)
>>

> I thought that MediaWiki was written specifically for the projects
> of the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation.  Period.  I didn't think
> that it was intended to compete with other wiki software.

The IdealWiki is the (quick) wiki which remains being the (quick) wiki
it was when it was chosen for it's purpose in the first place. That is,
let the wiki remain being what it is, a rather "flat" wiki, easy to use,
easy to grasp (for most users), not too much functionality not directly
related to the kind of content it is designed to contain.

What may well be improved is the USE(ability) of "what already is".

Mediawiki is a very interesting building block  (component) for
integration in *other* more complex integrated environments. Again,
Mediawiki is a component, not a "system" (of components).

The usefulness for Mediawiki as an integrated component in other systems
demands that Mediawiki has a generic and STABLE API. If having a stable
API the Mediawiki software will definitely deserve a notable position as
a component in integrated enterprise information systems now and in the
future. Simple.

In short: With a stable API written into the roadmap of Mediawiki it's
future for corporate application looks bright. Remark: This would "hide"
the mess (if any...) inside the application itself. Ahum.

(loooong) summary...  :-) :
Basic idea #1: Encapsulation. Mediawiki seen as a component demands some
form of "encapsulation", meaning that a stable API acts as a "shield"
hiding the internals from affecting the outside world . With an API
Mediawiki can be used (as is) as a serious alternative in integrated
corporate systems, no doubts

Basic idea #2: Since the *present* Mediawiki product / idea, as is,made
it an interesting choise for many applications in the first place,
therefore, let Mediwiki *remain* being what it is, namely one of the
best alternatives suited for its present purpose ("the standard platform
for Encylopedia-like content). And further, let it *continue* to be so,
in that the development aims at supporting exactly that (=
encyclopedias) also in the future. Nothing else.

Again, Mediawiki doesn't have what it takes to be a "system integrator*,
don't even think about it. Instead it can become a "jevel in the crown"
of other integrated systems ("crowns"). It not only can be so, it should!

Regards,

// Rolf

Re: [Mediawiki-l] The Ideal Wiki Software

Bugzilla from sy1234@gmail.com

In an ideal world, http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org would be empty.