[Mediawiki-l] Updating and moving at the same time; do the at the same time, or separately?

[Mediawiki-l] Updating and moving at the same time; do the at the same time, or separately?

Ken McDonald-2
We'll be moving a 1.6.3 wiki to a new database. We also need to update
to 1.9, as the new server runs only php 5. The documentation I've seen
deals with either copying a wiki (unchanged) to a new server, or with
upgrading in-place. Given our scenario, I'm wondering if it would be
better to do both at the same time.

In particular, if I do a mysqldump of the old wiki, will that import OK
into the 1.9 wiki? Or has the db table structure changed enough to
prevent this? And if so, is there an easy way around it?

Copying images should be easy enough (I'm guessing here that the image
data directory structure won't need to be changed in the new wiki), and
likewise I think that transferring the mods to PHP files from old to new
should be OK. Skins I'll worry about when we get to that point. Right
now, I'm mostly concerned about getting the db transferred.

Also, is there anywhere that lists all of the new features that have
been added from version to version? I know most projects have a 'version
history' page, but I haven't stumbled across it in my Google searches yet...

Thanks,
Ken

Re: [Mediawiki-l] Updating and moving at the same time; do the at the same time, or separately?

Bugzilla from sy1234@gmail.com
On 1/18/07, Ken McDonald <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We'll be moving a 1.6.3 wiki to a new database. We also need to update
> to 1.9, as the new server runs only php 5.

First, back everything up.
Then update to the latest 1.6.* (5 minutes of work - and it just feels
right to do this)
Then copy the files and database to the php5 server
Then unpack the mediawiki 1.9 folder overtop of your installation
Then follow the 1.9 update instructions

This should work for you.

> In particular, if I do a mysqldump of the old wiki, will that import OK
> into the 1.9 wiki? Or has the db table structure changed enough to
> prevent this? And if so, is there an easy way around it?

Yes/no/sortof.  Basically, it'll all sort itself out because the 1.9
update will understand how to detect and update your previous version
and its database.

> Copying images should be easy enough (I'm guessing here that the image
> data directory structure won't need to be changed in the new wiki)

good guess.  1.9 will understand the relevant changes.

> Also, is there anywhere that lists all of the new features that have
> been added from version to version? I know most projects have a 'version
> history' page, but I haven't stumbled across it in my Google searches yet...

Don't do it via Google.  Take a look at the download pages from
mediawiki.org, and you'll see references to changelogs around there
somewhere.

Re: [Mediawiki-l] Updating and moving at the same time; do the at the same time, or separately?

Rob Church
On 18/01/07, Ken McDonald <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We'll be moving a 1.6.3 wiki to a new database. We also need to update
> to 1.9, as the new server runs only php 5. The documentation I've seen
> deals with either copying a wiki (unchanged) to a new server, or with
> upgrading in-place. Given our scenario, I'm wondering if it would be
> better to do both at the same time.

It's possible, but it's probably more advisable to perform the move
between identical versions, and do the update afterwards; this will
allow you to eliminate possible upgrade problems as the source of any
issues that may arise.

> Also, is there anywhere that lists all of the new features that have
> been added from version to version? I know most projects have a 'version
> history' page, but I haven't stumbled across it in my Google searches yet...

RELEASE-NOTES file shipped with the software itself.

Rob Church