[Mediawiki-l] Would there be a problem with multiple people logged onto one account?

[Mediawiki-l] Would there be a problem with multiple people logged onto one account?

Ken McDonald-2
I won't go into reasons, but we would like to be able to have a single
account that might be accessed by a number of people. This implies that
more than one person might be logged into that account (and editing) at
the same time. Will this mess with MW's head?

Thank you,
Ken

P.S. Thanks once again to all those who have answered my questions in
the past, especially Rob. My company _will_ be making a small donation
to MediaWiki in the near future...(as soon as I get around to finding
and sending them the donations URL :-) )

Re: [Mediawiki-l] Would there be a problem with multiple people logged onto one account?

David Gerard-2
On 02/02/07, Ken McDonald <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I won't go into reasons, but we would like to be able to have a single
> account that might be accessed by a number of people. This implies that
> more than one person might be logged into that account (and editing) at
> the same time. Will this mess with MW's head?

I wouldn't think so. I'm typically logged into Wikipedia as me from
several browsers, sometimes on the same machine and editing from both
(typically checking things).

- d.

Re: [Mediawiki-l] Would there be a problem with multiple people logged onto one account?

Benjamin Lees
I haven't seen any problems surface with multiple users using the same
account, either (problems that the software has, that is: There are lots of
potential problems on the human side of things).  It should work, even if
multiple people are editing at the same time, from different IPs.  You could
always have a friend help you test to make sure it works.

By the way, the donation link is
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising   No need to hunt it down.
:p

> On 02/02/07, Ken McDonald <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I won't go into reasons, but we would like to be able to have a single
> > account that might be accessed by a number of people. This implies that
> > more than one person might be logged into that account (and editing) at
> > the same time. Will this mess with MW's head?
>

> I wouldn't think so. I'm typically logged into Wikipedia as me from
> several browsers, sometimes on the same machine and editing from both
> (typically checking things).
>

> - d.

Emufarmers Sangly
Pirate, Cowboy,
Hellraiser

Re: [Mediawiki-l] Would there be a problem with multiple people logged onto one account?

Rob Church
On 02/02/07, Emufarmers Sangly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> By the way, the donation link is
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising   No need to hunt it down.

That doesn't actually directly give money to the MediaWiki team, only
to the Wikimedia Foundation. I'm not sure if we have an appropriate
framework established for donating to MediaWiki as a project, anyway.

Rob Church

Re: [Mediawiki-l] Would there be a problem with multiple people logged onto one account?

Bugzilla from sy1234@gmail.com
On 2/2/07, Ken McDonald <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I won't go into reasons, but we would like to be able to have a single
> account that might be accessed by a number of people. This implies that
> more than one person might be logged into that account (and editing) at
> the same time. Will this mess with MW's head?

At least for the 1.6 versions, I think there's still a bug where if
the same person edits two sections on the same page at the same time,
the second edit overwrites the first.

I don't know if this would be the case with the same user from two computers..

On 02/02/07, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 02/02/07, Emufarmers Sangly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > By the way, the donation link is
> > http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising   No need to hunt it down.

> That doesn't actually directly give money to the MediaWiki team, only
> to the Wikimedia Foundation. I'm not sure if we have an appropriate
> framework established for donating to MediaWiki as a project, anyway.

What are you waiting for? Get that blog and PayPal link up! "Will code
for beer tokens."

- d.

Re: [Mediawiki-l] Would there be a problem with multiple people logged onto one account?

Ashar Voultoiz-2
Rob Church wrote:
> On 02/02/07, Emufarmers Sangly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> By the way, the donation link is
>> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising   No need to hunt it down.
>
> That doesn't actually directly give money to the MediaWiki team, only
> to the Wikimedia Foundation. I'm not sure if we have an appropriate
> framework established for donating to MediaWiki as a project, anyway.

There is nothing in place to give money to MediaWiki. Tim Starling had a
paypal link at one time, but now a day the WikiMedia foundation is
sponsoring the software (hired two developers, mediawiki.org hosting).

Users can probably make a deal with one of the developers so he writes
them an extension.

--
Ashar Voultoiz - WP++++
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Hashar

Re: [Mediawiki-l] Would there be a problem with multiple people logged onto one account?

Rob Church
> What are you waiting for? Get that blog and PayPal link up! "Will code
> for beer tokens."

I would, except I'm supposedly on a break. I already have a
development blog, although currently a bit neglected.