[Mediawiki-l] probably the wrong listserve

[Mediawiki-l] probably the wrong listserve

Richard Freeman-4
Hello, may I interrupt with one last inquiry.  I'm seeing that is list
is geared for the more advanced wiki user -- clearly the wrong place for
the newbe -- so I'll unsubscribe soon after receiving responses to this
missive.  With that noted, could someone in the community/forum please
point me to a good written guide on learning to use mediawiki from a
beginner's stand point?  Thanks in advance! -- RF

PS, I'm a highly-motivated self-learner, so I won't be wasting your
time, and I have good experience teaching myself to use complicated
software.

PSS, encouraging newbees from outside the circumscribed field of current
MediaWiki users (and Mediawiki-l members) might be beneficial, in the
sense that you would bring new problem-solvers into the fold, perhaps
spawning some creative solutions not otherwise fielded.  I hypothesize
that within a short time-frame, the quality of the additional voices
would exceed the (initial) noise we would bring to the forum.

--
Dr. Richard Freeman
Comprehensive Forestry and Land-Use Planning

Watershed Planning
Forest Assessment and Restoration
Fuels Management
Wildlife Habitat Improvement
Recreation and Natural Interpretation Planning
Eco-Wise Residential Planning

M.S., Environmental Studies     Ph.D., Forest Management

jdd

Re: [Mediawiki-l] probably the wrong listserve

jdd
Richard Freeman wrote:

> point me to a good written guide on learning to use mediawiki from a
> beginner's stand point?  Thanks in advance! -- RF

mediawiki help file (online, search through the mediawiki
link on the bottom of the page) is quite nice
jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://dodin.org/mediawiki/index.php/GPS_Lowrance_GO

Re: [Mediawiki-l] probably the wrong listserve

Raquel Rice
On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 11:54:03 -0700
Richard Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, may I interrupt with one last inquiry.  I'm seeing that is
> list  is geared for the more advanced wiki user -- clearly the
> wrong place for  the newbe -- so I'll unsubscribe soon after
> receiving responses to this  missive.  With that noted, could
> someone in the community/forum please  point me to a good written
> guide on learning to use mediawiki from a  beginner's stand point?
>  Thanks in advance! -- RF
>
> PS, I'm a highly-motivated self-learner, so I won't be wasting
> your  time, and I have good experience teaching myself to use
> complicated  software.
>
> PSS, encouraging newbees from outside the circumscribed field of
> current  MediaWiki users (and Mediawiki-l members) might be
> beneficial, in the  sense that you would bring new problem-solvers
> into the fold, perhaps  spawning some creative solutions not
> otherwise fielded.  I hypothesize  that within a short time-frame,
> the quality of the additional voices  would exceed the (initial)
> noise we would bring to the forum.
>
> --
> Dr. Richard Freeman

I think that we've all had to begin at the beginning.  I know that I
did.  I also asked some very newbie questions in the beginning, and
compared to other questions here, I still may.  Don't let the "more
advanced" questions some are asking put you off.  Otherwise I may
not be able to help anyone myself.

My suggestion is to do your reading and then ask your newbie
questions here.

--
Raquel

Re: [Mediawiki-l] probably the wrong listserve

Rob Church
On 07/01/07, Raquel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think that we've all had to begin at the beginning.  I know that I
> did.  I also asked some very newbie questions in the beginning, and
> compared to other questions here, I still may.  Don't let the "more
> advanced" questions some are asking put you off.  Otherwise I may
> not be able to help anyone myself.
>
> My suggestion is to do your reading and then ask your newbie
> questions here.

I agree with this completely; this list is for all third party users
of MediaWiki; new and old alike.

Rob Church

Re: [Mediawiki-l] probably the wrong listserve

Chris Smeder
Yeah, finding info for beginners is hard. Don't be discouraged and ask
your newbie questions here as needed. Plenty of people here would jump
at the chance to answer questions especially easy questions.
As far as sources for help, I always start with:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Installation
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Contents
or search http://meta.wikimedia.org
or search google with the word mediawiki and your topic (don't use
wiki, as that will just return a million results)
Ask questions here
And heck if there is no where for newbies to get help, maybe you
should make wiki site for newbies to wikimedia?

On 1/7/07, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07/01/07, Raquel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I think that we've all had to begin at the beginning.  I know that I
> > did.  I also asked some very newbie questions in the beginning, and
> > compared to other questions here, I still may.  Don't let the "more
> > advanced" questions some are asking put you off.  Otherwise I may
> > not be able to help anyone myself.
> >
> > My suggestion is to do your reading and then ask your newbie
> > questions here.
>
> I agree with this completely; this list is for all third party users
> of MediaWiki; new and old alike.
>

> Rob Church

Re: [Mediawiki-l] probably the wrong listserve

spencerp
Hmm, either I'm doing something wrong, or people just don't want to help me, though. Maybe it's because I got off on the wrong foot in here.. My bad folks! All apologizes!!

--
spencerp
http://spencerp.net

Oh also http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki