Membership for Under 18s

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Membership for Under 18s

Lewis Cawte
Hi,

I remember someone telling me this a while ago, and seeing something
somewhere on the website, but what is the membership application process
for under 18s, I seem to remember parents have to sign off something
don't they? Just curious because I'm thinking of joining soon.

-- Lewis Cawte
14yrs Old

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Membership for Under 18s

Chris Keating-2
Yes, that is the case - at least it's what is on our membership form here:


Chris

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Lewis Cawte <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I remember someone telling me this a while ago, and seeing something
somewhere on the website, but what is the membership application process
for under 18s, I seem to remember parents have to sign off something
don't they? Just curious because I'm thinking of joining soon.

-- Lewis Cawte
14yrs Old

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Membership for Under 18s

Thomas Dalton
It doesn't, however, say it on the electronic membership form
(http://donate.wikimedia.org.uk/index.php?option=com_civicrm&view=Contributions&Itemid=57).
That was an oversight on my part...

On 14 May 2011 12:17, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, that is the case - at least it's what is on our membership form here:
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/uk/6/6f/Wiki_UK_Ltd_membership_application_form.pdf
> Chris
>
> On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Lewis Cawte <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I remember someone telling me this a while ago, and seeing something
>> somewhere on the website, but what is the membership application process
>> for under 18s, I seem to remember parents have to sign off something
>> don't they? Just curious because I'm thinking of joining soon.
>>
>> -- Lewis Cawte
>> 14yrs Old
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimedia UK mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
>> WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia UK mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
> WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
>
>

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Membership for Under 18s

Roger Bamkin
Lewis you are very welcome. And if the five pounds is a worry to you or anyone else reading this then email our secretary privately. He can arrange for fees to be ignored given half a reason.
 
Obviously we need to do all we can to encourage editors below 18 to join. I know at least two admins who have been below the age of 14. I don´t think we are an ageist organisation at either end of the spectrum.
 
Point of law: Contracts with minors are legal. Buying a bus ticket is a contract, and children have to pay. The opt out for minors is that contracts cannot be enforced unless the contract benefits them. (Chaplin v. Chaplin).  I would hope any contract we made with a minor would be in their interest.
 
Point of interest: I think getting parents to sign is a good idea as some are concerned about children´s contact with a lot of "random people". We need to ask minors to declare their age as we have a "duty of care" if they attend without a responsible adult.
 
regards
Roger Bamkin

On 14 May 2011 16:52, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
It doesn't, however, say it on the electronic membership form
(http://donate.wikimedia.org.uk/index.php?option=com_civicrm&view=Contributions&Itemid=57).
That was an oversight on my part...

On 14 May 2011 12:17, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, that is the case - at least it's what is on our membership form here:
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/uk/6/6f/Wiki_UK_Ltd_membership_application_form.pdf
> Chris
>
> On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Lewis Cawte <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I remember someone telling me this a while ago, and seeing something
>> somewhere on the website, but what is the membership application process
>> for under 18s, I seem to remember parents have to sign off something
>> don't they? Just curious because I'm thinking of joining soon.
>>
>> -- Lewis Cawte
>> 14yrs Old
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimedia UK mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
>> WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia UK mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
> WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
>
>

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org



--
Roger Bamkin
(aka Victuallers)


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Membership for Under 18s

Gordon Joly
On 17/05/2011 16:13, Roger Bamkin wrote:
Point of interest: I think getting parents to sign is a good idea as some are concerned about children´s contact with a lot of "random people". We need to ask minors to declare their age as we have a "duty of care" if they attend without a responsible adult.

I reject being called "random".

Gordo


-- 

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Membership for Under 18s

Michael Peel-4
In reply to this post by Thomas Dalton
Please use the PDF form until we get that fixed...

Thanks,
Mike

On 14 May 2011, at 15:52, Thomas Dalton wrote:

> It doesn't, however, say it on the electronic membership form
> (http://donate.wikimedia.org.uk/index.php?option=com_civicrm&view=Contributions&Itemid=57).
> That was an oversight on my part...
>
> On 14 May 2011 12:17, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yes, that is the case - at least it's what is on our membership form here:
>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/uk/6/6f/Wiki_UK_Ltd_membership_application_form.pdf
>> Chris
>>
>> On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Lewis Cawte <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I remember someone telling me this a while ago, and seeing something
>>> somewhere on the website, but what is the membership application process
>>> for under 18s, I seem to remember parents have to sign off something
>>> don't they? Just curious because I'm thinking of joining soon.
>>>
>>> -- Lewis Cawte
>>> 14yrs Old
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Wikimedia UK mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
>>> WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimedia UK mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
>> WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
>>
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia UK mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
> WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org