Membership secretary

Thomas Morton
Who is the current Membership Secretary? I was a bit confused by the current roster as to who currently handles membership things.

Tom

Re: Membership secretary

Fae-6
You should raise any questions about membership with Richard. He has
access and knows what's what.

Fae
--
http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae
Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/faetags

Re: Membership secretary

Michael Peel-4
From the board side of things, I'm the person to talk to - but Richard's dealing with the day-to-day work with the membership database now.

Thanks,
Mike

On 3 Jan 2012, at 12:43, Thomas Morton wrote:

> Thanks Fae :)
>
> Tom
>
> On 3 January 2012 12:41, Fae <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You should raise any questions about membership with Richard. He has
> access and knows what's what.
>
> Fae
> --
> http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae
> Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/faetags

Re: Membership secretary

Charles Matthews

On 3 January 2012 14:05, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
From the board side of things, I'm the person to talk to - but Richard's dealing with the day-to-day work with the membership database now.

Template:Membership on the Wikimedia UK wiki directs Membership Secretary to Andrew Turvey's page, however.

Charles

Re: Membership secretary

Thomas Morton
Yup; this is what confused me :)

Tom

On 3 January 2012 16:29, Charles Matthews <[hidden email]> wrote:

From the board side of things, I'm the person to talk to - but Richard's dealing with the day-to-day work with the membership database now.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Template:Membership on the Wikimedia UK wiki directs Membership Secretary to
> Andrew Turvey's page, however.
>
> Charles

It's a wiki; anyone can fix it, hint.  ;-)

Fae

Re: Membership secretary

Michael Peel-4

On 3 Jan 2012, at 16:34, Fae wrote:

> On 3 January 2012 16:29, Charles Matthews
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Template:Membership on the Wikimedia UK wiki directs Membership Secretary to
>> Andrew Turvey's page, however.
>>
>> Charles
>
> It's a wiki; anyone can fix it, hint.  ;-)

Fixed. The reason for the confusion was that the role was transferred from the treasurer to the secretary a few months back, and it hadn't been updated on-wiki...

Thanks,
MIke

Re: Membership secretary

Charles Matthews

On 3 January 2012 16:32, Thomas Morton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yup; this is what confused me :)

You may not be alone. The Board role of responsibility for the running of the membership administrative task has clearly separated from the implementation; and all the website has to say about it is that the Membership Secretary has access to the database. I asked a Board member a little while ago who has responsibility for the UK wiki pages on membership. I still don't know the answer to that one.

Charles

Re: Membership secretary

Charles Matthews

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Template:Membership on the Wikimedia UK wiki directs Membership Secretary to
> Andrew Turvey's page, however.
>
> Charles

It's a wiki; anyone can fix it, hint.  ;-)

Not a fair comment, actually. See http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Reports_11Jun11 .  And my other reply in this thread.

Charles

Re: Membership secretary

Gordon Joly
On 03/01/2012 16:34, Fae wrote:
> It's a wiki; anyone can fix it, hint.;-)
>
> Fae

One of the most important aspects of a membership organization is the
membership. In this case, we are members of a registered charity.

The organization (and here, I mean the Trustees) should pay attention to
membership, renewals, and maintaining communications etc.

I find any flippancy disturbing....

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]

Re: Membership secretary

Roger Bamkin
Please get this into perspective. Membership is important as is having a good web site with up to date links. Can we just fix it? We are working together

Roger

On 3 January 2012 18:22, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 03/01/2012 16:34, Fae wrote:
> It's a wiki; anyone can fix it, hint.;-)
>
> Fae

One of the most important aspects of a membership organization is the
membership. In this case, we are members of a registered charity.

The organization (and here, I mean the Trustees) should pay attention to
membership, renewals, and maintaining communications etc.

I find any flippancy disturbing....

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Roger Bamkin
01332 702993
0758 2020815
Google+:Victuallers
Skype:Victuallers1
Flickr:Victuallers2

Re: Membership secretary

Charles Matthews

On 3 January 2012 18:33, Roger Bamkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please get this into perspective. Membership is important as is having a good web site with up to date links. Can we just fix it? We are working together

Roger, please note that while Mike's answer may have been as helpful as was possible in the circumstances, it did not answer the question. Therefore the ball is in the Board's court here. If then status of the membership secretary is minuted and on the wiki, then it does not show up in a Google custom search, is all I can say. Gordon is quite right to take a dim view of the matter; so do I.

Charles

Re: Membership secretary

Gordon Joly
On 03/01/2012 18:33, Roger Bamkin wrote:
> Please get this into perspective. Membership is important as is having
> a good web site with up to date links. Can we just fix it? We are
> working together
Yes, that is the same membership that was called to an EGM that was only
just quorate.

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: Membership secretary

Thomas Dalton
On 3 January 2012 22:01, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 03/01/2012 18:33, Roger Bamkin wrote:
>> Please get this into perspective. Membership is important as is having
>> a good web site with up to date links. Can we just fix it? We are
>> working together
> Yes, that is the same membership that was called to an EGM that was only
> just quorate.

Where did you get that idea? It says in the minutes
(http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/EGM_2011/Minutes) that 26 people voted
in person and 24 by proxy out of 212 members at the time. That's 24%.
The quorum for a general meeting is 10%
(http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association 7.2(b)).

Re: Membership secretary

Gordon Joly
On 03/01/2012 22:07, Thomas Dalton wrote:

> On 3 January 2012 22:01, Gordon Joly<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> On 03/01/2012 18:33, Roger Bamkin wrote:
>>> Please get this into perspective. Membership is important as is having
>>> a good web site with up to date links. Can we just fix it? We are
>>> working together
>> Yes, that is the same membership that was called to an EGM that was only
>> just quorate.
> Where did you get that idea? It says in the minutes
> (http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/EGM_2011/Minutes) that 26 people voted
> in person and 24 by proxy out of 212 members at the time. That's 24%.
> The quorum for a general meeting is 10%
> (http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association 7.2(b)).

My apologies. I don't know where I got the idea from.

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: Membership secretary

Gordon Joly
On 03/01/2012 22:07, Thomas Dalton wrote:

> On 3 January 2012 22:01, Gordon Joly<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> On 03/01/2012 18:33, Roger Bamkin wrote:
>>> Please get this into perspective. Membership is important as is having
>>> a good web site with up to date links. Can we just fix it? We are
>>> working together
>> Yes, that is the same membership that was called to an EGM that was only
>> just quorate.
> Where did you get that idea? It says in the minutes
> (http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/EGM_2011/Minutes) that 26 people voted
> in person and 24 by proxy out of 212 members at the time. That's 24%.
> The quorum for a general meeting is 10%
> (http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association 7.2(b)).

Maybe I was thinking of the 2011 AGM. Since I cannot find the figures,
perhaps you could assist?

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: Membership secretary

Fae-6
Dear Gordon Joly and Charles Matthews,

I apologise unreservedly.

Having just had two staff members and seven trustees in a three hour
telecon using our evening going through detailed processes and plans
for WMUK, I can assure you that we certainly do pay attention, as you
might pick up from the trustees taking the time to promptly respond
here in addition to this meeting. If I need to repeat this point in
all correspondence on wikimediauk-l and avoid any impression of
flippancy, I am prepared to take that approach rather than a light
handed one that may be subject to any possible misinterpretation.

Thank you,
Fae

On 3 January 2012 22:30, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Maybe I was thinking of the 2011 AGM. Since I cannot find the figures,
> perhaps you could assist?

I don't remember any concerns about quorums at any of the general
meetings (I've attended all of them). I've looked through the minutes
of all the meetings (which are here, for future reference:
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/General_Meetings). The 2009 AGM had 24
members, which was far more than 10% of the total membership at the
time. The 2010 AGM had 15 members, which might have been close to 10%
- I'm not sure how many members we had at the time. The 2011 AGM
minutes don't have the attendance numbers in (just X's - someone
better find their notes and fill in the X's before the next AGM so we
can approve the minutes), but the room was pretty much full and there
were at least a few proxies, so I don't imagine there was a problem.

So, the one that looks like it was closest to being inquorate was the
2010 AGM. I've taken a look through the history of the chapter's table
on meta and found this:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikimedia_chapters&diff=2268105&oldid=2264870

It's an update of the number of members from 71 to "~150" made in
January 2011. That suggests that there were less than 150 members in
April 2010, so the 2010 meeting was quorate and probably by quote a
lot.

Re: Membership secretary

Gordon Joly

Fae,