[Meta][Translation] press release page renewed and two requests are open

[Meta][Translation] press release page renewed and two requests are open

KIZU Naoko
Hello there,
there are some materials wanted your hands; Wikimedia press releases,
in details, two press releases about Advisory Board and Enwp tags all
links NoFollow.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_press_releases
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_press_releases/Advisory_Board
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_press_releases/English_Wikipedia_tags_all_links_NoFollow

Those two press releases are so significant that we would like to
share globally, even issued a bit earlier. I put two of them on TR
already and thankfully some of you reacted already.

Also there are two being drafted press releases and we'll ask your
help within days. We'll appreciate your kindly help ;)

Other all press released sorted under the section
"published" are also ready to translate and if you find special
interest, you are encouraged to pick up what
you like and share the information with your community.

"Florence remarks" is useful in my personal opinion, specially for
bloggers who would like to point it out that "the rumor Wikipedia is
going out in three or four months is a rumor based on a misquote of
Anthere"; I myself quoted it on my blog (in Japanese). On the other
hand now we are engaged in one newer and more detailed press release
about this issue, "remark" press release is not mandatory to be
translated. Personally I recommend you to take care of "Advisory
Board" and "No follow" press release at first hand; if your project is
bothered with "SEO marketing spammers", the latter may be very
helpful.

--
KIZU Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org

Re: [Meta][Translation] press release page renewed and two requests are open

Any File
On 2/12/07, Aphaia <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello there,
> there are some materials wanted your hands; Wikimedia press releases,
> in details, two press releases about Advisory Board and Enwp tags all
> links NoFollow.
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_press_releases
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_press_releases/Advisory_Board
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_press_releases/English_Wikipedia_tags_all_links_NoFollow

I have some doubts about  the English_Wikipedia_tags_all_link....
My point is if the request is to translated the linked press release
(and in this case the title should be kept in similar form with the
translation of English, referring to the English Wikipedia in the
title and in the body text - just translating English in the
equivalent for that language, but in this way I would not respect what
it is asked in the beginning note)

or if instead the request is to create a new press releases for each
language with every press release speaking in its own language about
the wikipedia of its own language (so a press release in French about
French Wikipedia, a press release in Italian about Italian Wikipedia,
etc.) (in this case of course it is easier for a writer/translator can
use the English version to create the new one, instead of doing it
from scratch)

My point is not only about the fact that in the second case it is not
formally a translation, but that it is politically a different thing.
Who should I named instead of XXX in my translation, for example?
Would it more correct to ask these persons about this request and ask
them to ask for translators' help?

And is the press release made from the Foundation for all the language
and for all the project or is it that every single project is going to
issue it own press release?
From when single project has the power to issue press release? WHere
the translation would be published on every projects or on the
Wikimedia Foundation project? In the latter case I think it would more
convenient a press release about all project and all language..

And about "all project": why only wikipedia is cited? I can understand
it is the most famous project (and hence the most targeted by spam),
but it would be nicer if the  world Wikipedia is replaced by
"Wikipedia and its sister projects (Wiktionary, Wikibooks, Wikiquote,
Wikisource, Wikinews, and Wikimedia Commons)"

Of course a shorter for can be use in title and when needed.
And of course the list can be completed by Wikiversity, Wikijunior,
and Wikispecies (by the way the last one is not listed on
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Complete_list_of_Wikimedia_projects )

AnyFile

Re: [Meta][Translation] press release page renewed and two requests are open

Habj

2007/2/12, Any File <[hidden email]>:
On 2/12/07, Aphaia <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello there,
> there are some materials wanted your hands; Wikimedia press releases,
> in details, two press releases about Advisory Board and Enwp tags all
> links NoFollow.
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_press_releases
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_press_releases/Advisory_Board
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_press_releases/English_Wikipedia_tags_all_links_NoFollow

I have some doubts about  the English_Wikipedia_tags_all_link....

Actually, I asked Brion about this. He said this was already implemented on all the other Wikipedias from before, so English Wikipedia is the last one where this was implemented.

/habj

Re: [Meta][Translation] press release page renewed and two requests are open

KIZU Naoko
First sorry for confusion, after reviewing the recent edit, the press
release we are discussing is *not* requested for translation. Again,
sorry for your inconvinience and our poor coordination.

On 2/13/07, habj <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Actually, I asked Brion about this. He said this was already implemented on
> all the other Wikipedias from before, so English Wikipedia is the last one
> where this was implemented.

Yes and not all the world has known about it. Last December (IIRC)
Japanese Wikipedia was referred on a net media "you can try to SEO
marketing, creating your company's article, and it is free". It was so
a bad idea that 1) technically it didn't work with already impremented
nofollow, 2) it violates Wikimedia non-profit character and NPOV
principle, 3) many people not only Wikipedia community but also other
open-project communities people disrespect the author and the media.
One of the point of this story may be that it is not widely known
"nofollow" implemented.

That is why I thought it could be helpful to inform your community,
and later I think it could be helpful for people in your land and who
want to use English Wikipedia for that purpose (and consequently
helpful for English Wikipedia).

As for the problem, suggested by AnyFile, "if it is
meaningful/adequate to fill xxxx with a local press contact" is ...
eh, I think it depends. If the press contact in your country is not a
contributor to English Wikipedia, it might be less meaningful .... I
would like Sandy to input her opinion (after she succeed in
subscription to this list), or give us a choice either we put her name
in such a place (in future press release particular) or put a local
press contact, but it is totally my personal suggestion.