Meta main page

とある白い猫
Meta main page seems to be not very multi-lingual because it appears to be
difficult to update. Each translation is more or less outdated and often
with an outdated/older style. I propose a template structure where style
info is "removed" into a template and translations only deal with words.

Feel free to comment at:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page#Templates

  -- とある白い猫  (To Aru Shiroi Neko)

Re: Meta main page

K. Peachey-2
I wonder if the Page Translation[1] feature of the Translate
extension[2] would make it easier to manage this, It appears to (but
not written), that when the main translation (en for example) is
"touched" that it will mark the other ones for needing updates.

[1]. http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Translating:Page_translation_feature
[2]. http://mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Translate

Re: Meta main page

Mono mium
Might make sense.

2011/9/26 とある白い猫 <[hidden email]>

> Meta main page seems to be not very multi-lingual because it appears to be
> difficult to update. Each translation is more or less outdated and often
> with an outdated/older style. I propose a template structure where style
> info is "removed" into a template and translations only deal with words.
>
> Feel free to comment at:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page#Templates
>
>  -- とある白い猫  (To Aru Shiroi Neko)

Re: Meta main page

とある白い猫
Oh, I was proposing something simpler than what I had on my commons
userpage. Consider something like
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:White_Cat/Gen v
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:White_Cat/de
Translators only /care/ about the text rather than the style issues and etc.
It is difficult enough finding people who can translate but expecting them
to understand complex use of html, templates and etc is just too much.

The feature you mentioned would indeed be a positive thing to keep these
pages up to date. We could also have generic translations. For example we
expect steward elections frequently, likewise we expect a  wikimania each
year. It would only make sense if these "current events" are templated on
their own.

  -- とある白い猫  (To Aru Shiroi Neko)

2011/9/27 Mono mium <[hidden email]>

> Might make sense.
>
> 2011/9/26 とある白い猫 <[hidden email]>
>
> > Meta main page seems to be not very multi-lingual because it appears to
> be
> > difficult to update. Each translation is more or less outdated and often
> > with an outdated/older style. I propose a template structure where style
> > info is "removed" into a template and translations only deal with words.
> >
> > Feel free to comment at:
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page#Templates
> >
> >  -- とある白い猫  (To Aru Shiroi Neko)

Re: Meta main page

とある白い猫
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page/Template/de
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page/Template/en
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page/Template/es

Few examples of the new meta main page in its templated form which allows
easier translation. Most translations are greatly outdated unfortunately
making them essentially useless. A divide and conquer strategy was applied.

  -- とある白い猫  (To Aru Shiroi Neko)

2011/9/27 とある白い猫 <[hidden email]>

> Oh, I was proposing something simpler than what I had on my commons
> userpage. Consider something like
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:White_Cat/Gen v
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:White_Cat/de
> Translators only /care/ about the text rather than the style issues and
> etc. It is difficult enough finding people who can translate but expecting
> them to understand complex use of html, templates and etc is just too much.
>
> The feature you mentioned would indeed be a positive thing to keep these
> pages up to date. We could also have generic translations. For example we
> expect steward elections frequently, likewise we expect a  wikimania each
> year. It would only make sense if these "current events" are templated on
> their own.
>
>   -- とある白い猫  (To Aru Shiroi Neko)
>

> 2011/9/27 Mono mium <[hidden email]>
>
>> Might make sense.
>>
>> 2011/9/26 とある白い猫 <[hidden email]>
>>
>> > Meta main page seems to be not very multi-lingual because it appears to
>> be
>> > difficult to update. Each translation is more or less outdated and often
>> > with an outdated/older style. I propose a template structure where style
>> > info is "removed" into a template and translations only deal with words.
>> >
>> > Feel free to comment at:
>> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page#Templates
>> >
>> >  -- とある白い猫  (To Aru Shiroi Neko)

Re: Meta main page

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
The main page at translatewiki.net is not less complicated imho. However, it
has been localised and we know quite precisely what the state of the
translations is. We can pinpoint precisely what needs doing.
Thanks,
      GerardM

2011/9/27 とある白い猫 <[hidden email]>

> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page/Template/de
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page/Template/en
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page/Template/es
>
> Few examples of the new meta main page in its templated form which allows
> easier translation. Most translations are greatly outdated unfortunately
> making them essentially useless. A divide and conquer strategy was applied.
>
>  -- とある白い猫  (To Aru Shiroi Neko)
>

> 2011/9/27 とある白い猫 <[hidden email]>
>
> > Oh, I was proposing something simpler than what I had on my commons
> > userpage. Consider something like
> > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:White_Cat/Gen v
> > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:White_Cat/de
> > Translators only /care/ about the text rather than the style issues and
> > etc. It is difficult enough finding people who can translate but
> expecting
> > them to understand complex use of html, templates and etc is just too
> much.
> >
> > The feature you mentioned would indeed be a positive thing to keep these
> > pages up to date. We could also have generic translations. For example we
> > expect steward elections frequently, likewise we expect a  wikimania each
> > year. It would only make sense if these "current events" are templated on
> > their own.
> >
> >   -- とある白い猫  (To Aru Shiroi Neko)
> >

> > 2011/9/27 Mono mium <[hidden email]>
> >
> >> Might make sense.

> >> be
> often
> style
> words.

Re: Meta main page

M. Williamson
Translatewiki.net doesn't seem to be much more usable to people who don't
speak English, coming at it from the front page. Imagine you don't speak
English, how do you suppose you go from http://translatewiki.net/ to a page
with instructions or content in your language? One needs at least
rudimentary English skills to be able to figure it out, which is an
unsatisfactory solution for what is supposed to be an international project.

2011/9/28 Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>

> Hoi,
> The main page at translatewiki.net is not less complicated imho. However,
> it
> has been localised and we know quite precisely what the state of the
> translations is. We can pinpoint precisely what needs doing.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM
>
> 2011/9/27 とある白い猫 <[hidden email]>
>
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page/Template/de
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page/Template/en
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page/Template/es
> >
> > Few examples of the new meta main page in its templated form which allows
> > easier translation. Most translations are greatly outdated unfortunately
> > making them essentially useless. A divide and conquer strategy was
> applied.
> >
> >  -- とある白い猫  (To Aru Shiroi Neko)
> >

> > 2011/9/27 とある白い猫 <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > Oh, I was proposing something simpler than what I had on my commons
> > > userpage. Consider something like
> > > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:White_Cat/Gen v
> > > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:White_Cat/de
> > > Translators only /care/ about the text rather than the style issues and
> > > etc. It is difficult enough finding people who can translate but
> > expecting
> > > them to understand complex use of html, templates and etc is just too
> > much.
> > >
> > > The feature you mentioned would indeed be a positive thing to keep
> these
> > > pages up to date. We could also have generic translations. For example
> we
> > > expect steward elections frequently, likewise we expect a  wikimania
> each
> > > year. It would only make sense if these "current events" are templated
> on
> > > their own.
> > >
> > >   -- とある白い猫  (To Aru Shiroi Neko)

> > often
> > style
> > words.

Re: Meta main page

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Easy.. we recognise where someone is coming from ... check the browser
language and dependend on all this we serve what is likely a good match.
Thanks,
       GerardM

2011/9/28 M. Williamson <[hidden email]>

> Translatewiki.net doesn't seem to be much more usable to people who don't
> speak English, coming at it from the front page. Imagine you don't speak
> English, how do you suppose you go from http://translatewiki.net/ to a
> page
> with instructions or content in your language? One needs at least
> rudimentary English skills to be able to figure it out, which is an
> unsatisfactory solution for what is supposed to be an international
> project.
>

> 2011/9/28 Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
>
> > Hoi,
> > The main page at translatewiki.net is not less complicated imho.
> However,
> > it
> > has been localised and we know quite precisely what the state of the
> > translations is. We can pinpoint precisely what needs doing.
> > Thanks,
> >      GerardM
> >
> > 2011/9/27 とある白い猫 <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page/Template/de
> > > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page/Template/en
> > > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page/Template/es
> > >
> > > Few examples of the new meta main page in its templated form which
> allows
> > > easier translation. Most translations are greatly outdated
> unfortunately
> > > making them essentially useless. A divide and conquer strategy was
> > applied.
> > >
> > >  -- とある白い猫  (To Aru Shiroi Neko)

> and
> > > expecting
> > > much.

> > these
> example
> > we
> > each
> templated
> > on

> appears
> > > often
> > > style
> > > words.

Re: Meta main page

M. Williamson
No reason not to allow users to select their own language easily, especially
given that browser language preferences and location are anything but a
surefire predictor of language preference.

2011/9/28 Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>

> Hoi,
> Easy.. we recognise where someone is coming from ... check the browser
> language and dependend on all this we serve what is likely a good match.
> Thanks,
>       GerardM
>
> 2011/9/28 M. Williamson <[hidden email]>
>
> > Translatewiki.net doesn't seem to be much more usable to people who don't
> > speak English, coming at it from the front page. Imagine you don't speak
> > English, how do you suppose you go from http://translatewiki.net/ to a
> > page
> > with instructions or content in your language? One needs at least
> > rudimentary English skills to be able to figure it out, which is an
> > unsatisfactory solution for what is supposed to be an international
> > project.
> >

> > 2011/9/28 Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > Hoi,
> > > The main page at translatewiki.net is not less complicated imho.
> > However,
> > > it
> > > has been localised and we know quite precisely what the state of the
> > > translations is. We can pinpoint precisely what needs doing.
> > > Thanks,
> > >      GerardM

> > allows
> > unfortunately
> > > applied.

> > and
> too

> > > these
> > example
> > > we
>  wikimania
> > > each
> > templated
> > > on

> > appears
> and
> where
> with

Re: Meta main page

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
The difficulty is in predicting what language to use when you do not have a
cookie. Obviously, you can select any language you like.
Thanks,
     Gerard

2011/9/28 M. Williamson <[hidden email]>

> No reason not to allow users to select their own language easily,
> especially
> given that browser language preferences and location are anything but a
> surefire predictor of language preference.
>

> 2011/9/28 Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
>
> > Hoi,
> > Easy.. we recognise where someone is coming from ... check the browser
> > language and dependend on all this we serve what is likely a good match.
> > Thanks,
> >       GerardM
> >
> > 2011/9/28 M. Williamson <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > Translatewiki.net doesn't seem to be much more usable to people who
> don't
> > > speak English, coming at it from the front page. Imagine you don't
> speak
> > > English, how do you suppose you go from http://translatewiki.net/ to a
> > > page
> > > with instructions or content in your language? One needs at least
> > > rudimentary English skills to be able to figure it out, which is an
> > > unsatisfactory solution for what is supposed to be an international
> > > project.

> > > However,

> > > allows
> > > unfortunately

> commons
> issues
> > > and
> > too

> keep
> > > example
> >  wikimania
> > > templated

> > > appears
> > and
> > where
> > with

Re: Meta main page

Béria Lima

> *Easy.. we recognise where someone is coming from ... check the browser
> language and dependend on all this we serve what is likely a good match.
> *

No it doesn't. I live in Portugal and my Firefox and my Opera are in
Portuguese and - If I don't log in - they only show me the English version
of Main Page. If I do log in, I see the Portuguese one because my language -
In Special:Preferences - is Portuguese.
_____
*Béria Lima*
<http://wikimedia.pt/>(351) 925 171 484

*Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter livre
acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. É isso o que estamos a
fazer <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Nossos_projetos>.*

On 29 September 2011 05:23, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hoi,
> Easy.. we recognise where someone is coming from ... check the browser
> language and dependend on all this we serve what is likely a good match.
> Thanks,
>       GerardM
>
> 2011/9/28 M. Williamson <[hidden email]>
>
> > Translatewiki.net doesn't seem to be much more usable to people who don't
> > speak English, coming at it from the front page. Imagine you don't speak
> > English, how do you suppose you go from http://translatewiki.net/ to a
> > page
> > with instructions or content in your language? One needs at least
> > rudimentary English skills to be able to figure it out, which is an
> > unsatisfactory solution for what is supposed to be an international
> > project.
> >

> > 2011/9/28 Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > Hoi,
> > > The main page at translatewiki.net is not less complicated imho.
> > However,
> > > it
> > > has been localised and we know quite precisely what the state of the
> > > translations is. We can pinpoint precisely what needs doing.
> > > Thanks,
> > >      GerardM

> > allows
> > unfortunately
> > > applied.

> > and
> too

> > > these
> > example
> > > we
>  wikimania
> > > each
> > templated
> > > on

> > appears
> and
> where
> with

Re: Meta main page

M. Williamson
Yes, my browser language is Spanish and I got the page in English. Also, in
response to Gerard's comment: "Obviously, you can select any language you
like." - well, where? Where is the language selector? I don't see it
anywhere. There doesn't appear to be a language list, a selector, a button
or anything like that...

2011/9/29 Béria Lima <[hidden email]>

> > *Easy.. we recognise where someone is coming from ... check the browser
> > language and dependend on all this we serve what is likely a good match.
> > *
>

> No it doesn't. I live in Portugal and my Firefox and my Opera are in
> Portuguese and - If I don't log in - they only show me the English version
> of Main Page. If I do log in, I see the Portuguese one because my language
> -
> In Special:Preferences - is Portuguese.
> _____
> *Béria Lima*
> <http://wikimedia.pt/>(351) 925 171 484
>
> *Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
> livre
> acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. É isso o que estamos a
> fazer <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Nossos_projetos>.*
>

> On 29 September 2011 05:23, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > Hoi,
> > Easy.. we recognise where someone is coming from ... check the browser
> > language and dependend on all this we serve what is likely a good match.
> > Thanks,
> >       GerardM
> >
> > 2011/9/28 M. Williamson <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > Translatewiki.net doesn't seem to be much more usable to people who
> don't
> > > speak English, coming at it from the front page. Imagine you don't
> speak
> > > English, how do you suppose you go from http://translatewiki.net/ to a
> > > page
> > > with instructions or content in your language? One needs at least
> > > rudimentary English skills to be able to figure it out, which is an
> > > unsatisfactory solution for what is supposed to be an international
> > > project.

> > > However,

> > > allows
> > > unfortunately

> commons
> issues
> > > and
> > too

> keep
> > > example
> >  wikimania
> > > templated

> > > appears
> > and
> > where
> > with

Re: Meta main page

Béria Lima
M. Williamson, the only way to see the Main Page in other language is log
in, going to http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Special:Preferences and change it
to Spanish (which I'm guessing is your native language).

As a IP is impossible (at least for me) and before someone complain: Yes,
I'm sure my IP is identified as been Portuguese.
_____

On 29 September 2011 10:28, M. Williamson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, my browser language is Spanish and I got the page in English. Also, in
> response to Gerard's comment: "Obviously, you can select any language you
> like." - well, where? Where is the language selector? I don't see it
> anywhere. There doesn't appear to be a language list, a selector, a button
> or anything like that...
>

> 2011/9/29 Béria Lima <[hidden email]>
>

> > > *Easy.. we recognise where someone is coming from ... check the browser
> > > language and dependend on all this we serve what is likely a good
> match.
> > > *
> >

> > No it doesn't. I live in Portugal and my Firefox and my Opera are in
> > Portuguese and - If I don't log in - they only show me the English
> version
> > of Main Page. If I do log in, I see the Portuguese one because my
> language
> > -
> > In Special:Preferences - is Portuguese.
> > _____
> > *Béria Lima*
> > <http://wikimedia.pt/>(351) 925 171 484
> >
> > *Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
> > livre
> > acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. É isso o que estamos a
> > fazer <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Nossos_projetos>.*
> >

> > On 29 September 2011 05:23, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > Hoi,
> > > Easy.. we recognise where someone is coming from ... check the browser
> > > language and dependend on all this we serve what is likely a good
> match.
> > > Thanks,
> > >       GerardM

> > don't
> > speak

> the

> which
> was

> > commons
> > issues
> but
> just
> > > too

> > keep
> > >  wikimania

> outdated
> > > and
> > > where
> > > with

Re: Meta main page

Strainu
2011/9/29 Béria Lima <[hidden email]>:
> As a IP is impossible (at least for me) and before someone complain: Yes,
> I'm sure my IP is identified as been Portuguese.

Wikimedia Commons offers anonymous users the possibility to see the
site in their  (guessed) language AFAIK. I'm sure it's not rocket
science to port that to meta if necessary.

Perhaps you should log a bug on that?

Strainu

Re: Meta main page

M. Williamson
And of course this is a huge usability problem. Imagine I'm travelling in
the Netherlands and use a public computer in an Internet cafe. I don't have
an account on TranslateWiki, the auto language select is actually working
(it doesn't appear to be working right now), and I don't speak a word of
Dutch. There is no reason to not have a language selector like on Commons,
or some kind of list or bar somewhere on the mainpage to let users switch.

2011/9/29 Béria Lima <[hidden email]>

> M. Williamson, the only way to see the Main Page in other language is log
> in, going to http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Special:Preferences and change
> it
> to Spanish (which I'm guessing is your native language).
>
> As a IP is impossible (at least for me) and before someone complain: Yes,
> I'm sure my IP is identified as been Portuguese.
> _____
> *Béria Lima*
> <http://wikimedia.pt/>(351) 925 171 484
>
> *Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
> livre
> acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. É isso o que estamos a
> fazer <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Nossos_projetos>.*
>

> On 29 September 2011 10:28, M. Williamson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Yes, my browser language is Spanish and I got the page in English. Also,
> in
> > response to Gerard's comment: "Obviously, you can select any language you
> > like." - well, where? Where is the language selector? I don't see it
> > anywhere. There doesn't appear to be a language list, a selector, a
> button
> > or anything like that...

> browser
> > match.
> > >

> > > No it doesn't. I live in Portugal and my Firefox and my Opera are in
> > > Portuguese and - If I don't log in - they only show me the English
> > version
> > > of Main Page. If I do log in, I see the Portuguese one because my
> > language
> > > -
> > > In Special:Preferences - is Portuguese.
> > > _____
> > > *Béria Lima*
> > > <http://wikimedia.pt/>(351) 925 171 484
> > >
> > > *Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
> > > livre
> > > acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. É isso o que estamos
> > > fazer <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Nossos_projetos>.*
> > >

> > > On 29 September 2011 05:23, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]

> browser
> > match.

> > > don't
> > > speak

> > the

> > which
> > was

> > > commons
> > > issues
> > but
> > just

> > > keep
> For

> it
> > outdated
> structure
> deal

Re: Meta main page

M. Williamson
Yes, when I went to commons I was pleased to get a notice that said
"Wikimedia Commons está disponible en español" at the top of the page.
Doesn't obligate the user to change, and the language chooser bar offers the
user a plethora of other choices in case the language guess was wrong. Would
be nice to see the same thing on Meta. And while we're at it, why isn't
Wikispecies more multilingual?

2011/9/29 Strainu <[hidden email]>

> 2011/9/29 Béria Lima <[hidden email]>:
> > As a IP is impossible (at least for me) and before someone complain: Yes,
> > I'm sure my IP is identified as been Portuguese.
>
> Wikimedia Commons offers anonymous users the possibility to see the
> site in their  (guessed) language AFAIK. I'm sure it's not rocket
> science to port that to meta if necessary.
>
> Perhaps you should log a bug on that?
>
> Strainu

Re: Meta main page

とある白い猫
With all due respect the state of meta main page is at a dismal state. Some
translations are over a year old in content. The goal of this endeavour is
to offer up to date info in many languages. Feel free to hop in to assist
with the effort. :)

  -- とある白い猫  (To Aru Shiroi Neko)

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 03:12, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hoi,
> The main page at translatewiki.net is not less complicated imho. However,
> it
> has been localised and we know quite precisely what the state of the
> translations is. We can pinpoint precisely what needs doing.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM
>
> 2011/9/27 とある白い猫 <[hidden email]>
>
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page/Template/de
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page/Template/en
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page/Template/es
> >
> > Few examples of the new meta main page in its templated form which allows
> > easier translation. Most translations are greatly outdated unfortunately
> > making them essentially useless. A divide and conquer strategy was
> applied.
> >
> >  -- とある白い猫  (To Aru Shiroi Neko)
> >

> > 2011/9/27 とある白い猫 <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > Oh, I was proposing something simpler than what I had on my commons
> > > userpage. Consider something like
> > > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:White_Cat/Gen v
> > > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:White_Cat/de
> > > Translators only /care/ about the text rather than the style issues and
> > > etc. It is difficult enough finding people who can translate but
> > expecting
> > > them to understand complex use of html, templates and etc is just too
> > much.
> > >
> > > The feature you mentioned would indeed be a positive thing to keep
> these
> > > pages up to date. We could also have generic translations. For example
> we
> > > expect steward elections frequently, likewise we expect a  wikimania
> each
> > > year. It would only make sense if these "current events" are templated
> on
> > > their own.
> > >
> > >   -- とある白い猫  (To Aru Shiroi Neko)

> > often
> > style
> > words.

Re: Meta main page

Robin Pepermans
You can go to http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Main_Page?setlang=es but
that's obviously not something everyone knows. I once added a language
selector but it was removed at some point. I added it back now.

2011/9/29 M. Williamson <[hidden email]>:

> Yes, when I went to commons I was pleased to get a notice that said
> "Wikimedia Commons está disponible en español" at the top of the page.
> Doesn't obligate the user to change, and the language chooser bar offers the
> user a plethora of other choices in case the language guess was wrong. Would
> be nice to see the same thing on Meta. And while we're at it, why isn't
> Wikispecies more multilingual?
>
> 2011/9/29 Strainu <[hidden email]>
>
>> 2011/9/29 Béria Lima <[hidden email]>:
>> > As a IP is impossible (at least for me) and before someone complain: Yes,
>> > I'm sure my IP is identified as been Portuguese.
>>
>> Wikimedia Commons offers anonymous users the possibility to see the
>> site in their  (guessed) language AFAIK. I'm sure it's not rocket
>> science to port that to meta if necessary.
>>
>> Perhaps you should log a bug on that?
>>
>> Strainu

Re: Meta main page

Robin Pepermans
And by the way, if you want to have a good translatable Meta Main Page
(which is absolutely necessary), you can take a look at Incubator's
http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Incubator:Main_Page and its system
:-)

2011/9/29 Robin Pepermans <[hidden email]>:

> You can go to http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Main_Page?setlang=es but
> that's obviously not something everyone knows. I once added a language
> selector but it was removed at some point. I added it back now.
>
> 2011/9/29 M. Williamson <[hidden email]>:
>> Yes, when I went to commons I was pleased to get a notice that said
>> "Wikimedia Commons está disponible en español" at the top of the page.
>> Doesn't obligate the user to change, and the language chooser bar offers the
>> user a plethora of other choices in case the language guess was wrong. Would
>> be nice to see the same thing on Meta. And while we're at it, why isn't
>> Wikispecies more multilingual?

>>> Wikimedia Commons offers anonymous users the possibility to see the
>>> site in their  (guessed) language AFAIK. I'm sure it's not rocket
>>> science to port that to meta if necessary.
>>>
>>> Perhaps you should log a bug on that?
>>>
>>> Strainu

Re: Meta main page

とある白い猫
I already devised a good way which is very similar to the page you linked.
:3
  -- とある白い猫  (To Aru Shiroi Neko)