Metadata of digitized manuscripts

Arne Wossink
Hey all,

I'm helping out with an upload of digitized manuscripts. We were discussing the metadata that come with those, and there were some issues that weren't covered by any of the existing useful templates (book or artwork). However, I would still prefer to use an existing template instead of building something from different fields. Does anyone have experience with uploading manuscripts and associated metadata to Commons, and can point me to some examples of how specific problems were solved?

Best,

Arne Wossink

Projectleider / Project Manager Wikimedia Nederland

(Werkdagen: maandag, dinsdag, donderdag / Office hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday)

Tel. +31 (0)6 11000505

Postadres:                                                  Bezoekadres:
Postbus 167                                                Mariaplaats 3
3500 AD  Utrecht                                         Utrecht

Re: EXTERNAL: Metadata of digitized manuscripts

Tuszynski, Jaroslaw W.-2

Arme,

A standard approach is to create custom template for you uploads which is based on one of existing templates. See for example https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Infobox_templates:_based_on_Artwork_template or https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Infobox_templates:_based_on_Photograph_template . If you need help I can help with creating one for you.

Jarek T.

I'm helping out with an upload of digitized manuscripts. We were discussing the metadata that come with those, and there were some issues that weren't covered by any of the existing useful templates (book or artwork). However, I would still prefer to use an existing template instead of building something from different fields. Does anyone have experience with uploading manuscripts and associated metadata to Commons, and can point me to some examples of how specific problems were solved?

Best,

Arne Wossink

Projectleider / Project Manager Wikimedia Nederland

(Werkdagen: maandag, dinsdag, donderdag / Office hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday)

Tel. +31 (0)6 11000505

E-mail: [hidden email]

Postadres:                                                  Bezoekadres:

Postbus 167                                                Mariaplaats 3

3500 AD  Utrecht                                         Utrecht

Re: EXTERNAL: Metadata of digitized manuscripts

Arne Wossink
I always understood that custom templates should be avoided, if necessary. However, what I would need at the least are the following items:

Auteur van de tekst (indien van toepassing, bv. Bij Augustinus Confessiones) Author
Kopiist (indien bekend) Copiist
Kunstenaar – verluchter indien bekend, dit staat als het goed is bij ‘annotatie’ Artist
Datering – Jaar Date
Titel – titel van het hele manuscript – Titel (dit is dus primair de titel van de tekst, bv. Confessiones, maar kan ook de titel zijn van het soort boek: Getijdenboek) Title
Beschrijving – handschrift en folium, iconografische beschrijving afbeelding Description
Techniek/materiaal – illustraties op perkament Medium
Afmetingen – Afmetingen Dimensions
Locatie – Universiteitsbibliotheek Utrecht Location
Inventarisnr. – nr. + volledige beschrijving van het handschrift en digitale versie: url Accession number
Plaats van vervaardiging  (indien bekend) Place of creation
Herkomst – provenantie, indien van toepassing, bv. Mariakek Place of discovery
Bron/fotograaf – Is dat UB Utrecht? Misschien kan er een banner worden gemaakt, net als bij de KB. Source
Toestemming – open licentie, commons Permission

So if I actually look at it, the only thing what is really different from the artwork template is that there needs to be room for 3 different creator roles (Author, Copiist, Artist).

[...]

Tel. <a href="tel:+31%206%2011000505" value="+31611000505" target="_blank">+31 (0)6 11000505

E-mail: [hidden email]

Postadres:                                                  Bezoekadres:

Postbus 167                                                Mariaplaats 3

3500 AD  Utrecht                                         Utrecht

Re: EXTERNAL: Metadata of digitized manuscripts

Tuszynski, Jaroslaw W.-2

I guess all you need is artwork template with an extra field for Copiest. You can add it by adding

| other_fields_1 = {{Information field |name= {{ucfirst:{{label: Q3997704}}}} |value= Copiest_name_here }}. Current artwork template allows “author” and “Artist” fields.

Jarek T.

I'm helping out with an upload of digitized manuscripts. We were discussing the metadata that come with those, and there were some issues that weren't covered by any of the existing useful templates (book or artwork). However, I would still prefer to use an existing template instead of building something from different fields. Does anyone have experience with uploading manuscripts and associated metadata to Commons, and can point me to some examples of how specific problems were solved?

Best,

Arne Wossink

Projectleider / Project Manager Wikimedia Nederland

(Werkdagen: maandag, dinsdag, donderdag / Office hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday)

Tel. <a href="tel:&#43;31%206%2011000505" target="_blank">+31 (0)6 11000505

E-mail: [hidden email]

Postadres:                                                  Bezoekadres:

Postbus 167                                                Mariaplaats 3

3500 AD  Utrecht                                         Utrecht

Re: EXTERNAL: Metadata of digitized manuscripts

Arne Wossink
Thanks! That seems to do the trick. So what exactly does the WD part in the syntax? The upload will be done in Pattypan, so I'm trying to understand how I need to integrate this into the metadata-Excel sheet.

Best,

Arne Wossink

Projectleider / Project Manager Wikimedia Nederland

(Werkdagen: maandag, dinsdag, donderdag / Office hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday)

Tel. +31 (0)6 11000505

Postadres:                                                  Bezoekadres:
Postbus 167                                                Mariaplaats 3
3500 AD  Utrecht                                         Utrecht

I guess all you need is artwork template with an extra field for Copiest. You can add it by adding

| other_fields_1 = {{Information field |name= {{ucfirst:{{label: Q3997704}}}} |value= Copiest_name_here }}. Current artwork template allows “author” and “Artist” fields.

Jarek T.

I'm helping out with an upload of digitized manuscripts. We were discussing the metadata that come with those, and there were some issues that weren't covered by any of the existing useful templates (book or artwork). However, I would still prefer to use an existing template instead of building something from different fields. Does anyone have experience with uploading manuscripts and associated metadata to Commons, and can point me to some examples of how specific problems were solved?

Best,

Arne Wossink

Projectleider / Project Manager Wikimedia Nederland

(Werkdagen: maandag, dinsdag, donderdag / Office hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday)

Tel. <a href="tel:+31%206%2011000505" target="_blank">+31 (0)6 11000505

E-mail: [hidden email]

Postadres:                                                  Bezoekadres:

Postbus 167                                                Mariaplaats 3

3500 AD  Utrecht                                         Utrecht

Re: EXTERNAL: Metadata of digitized manuscripts

Tuszynski, Jaroslaw W.-2

{{ucfirst:{{label: Q3997704}}}} or even better {{ucfirst:{{label: Q916292}}}} uses Wikidata to fetch word “scribe” translated into users language. {{ucfirst:}} capitalizes the first letter in case it is not. Sorry I did not have chance to learn Pattypan interface yet, but in case you can not add the above field we can always add it latter by a bot.

Jarek T.

(user:jarekt)

> [...]

Best,

Arne Wossink

Projectleider / Project Manager Wikimedia Nederland

(Werkdagen: maandag, dinsdag, donderdag / Office hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday)

Tel. <a href="tel:+31%206%2011000505" target="_blank">+31 (0)6 11000505

E-mail: [hidden email]

Postadres:                                                  Bezoekadres:

Postbus 167                                                Mariaplaats 3

3500 AD  Utrecht                                         Utrecht

GLAM-Wiki Strategist
Wikimedia Foundation
Twitter:@glamwiki/@sadads

Learn more about how the communities behind Wikipedia, Wikidata and other Wikimedia projects partner with cultural heritage organizations: http://glamwiki.org

Re: Metadata of digitized manuscripts

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Adding templates to Commons obviously. But PLEASE keep the metadata as you have it because you will have the opportunity to add this to Wikidata at a later date.
Thanks,
       GerardM

On 15 June 2017 at 14:57, Arne Wossink <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey all,

I'm helping out with an upload of digitized manuscripts. We were discussing the metadata that come with those, and there were some issues that weren't covered by any of the existing useful templates (book or artwork). However, I would still prefer to use an existing template instead of building something from different fields. Does anyone have experience with uploading manuscripts and associated metadata to Commons, and can point me to some examples of how specific problems were solved?

Best,

Arne Wossink

Projectleider / Project Manager Wikimedia Nederland

(Werkdagen: maandag, dinsdag, donderdag / Office hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday)

Tel. <a href="tel:06%2011000505" value="+31611000505" target="_blank">+31 (0)6 11000505

Postadres:                                                  Bezoekadres:
Postbus 167                                                Mariaplaats 3
3500 AD  Utrecht                                         Utrecht

Re: Metadata of digitized manuscripts

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Arne Wossink, 15/06/2017 14:57:
> Does anyone have experience with uploading manuscripts and associated
> metadata to Commons, and can point me to some examples of how specific
> problems were solved?

As part of https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:BEIC I suspect
we've not uploaded our manuscripts* systematically yet, and we had
several one-off uploads, but you can see most of our systematic book
uploads at
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?search=tif+incategory%3A%22Media+From+BEIC%22+insource%3ABook>
; the logic might be understandable from the script:
<https://github.com/nemobis/BEIC/blob/master/BEIC_pid_upload.py>.

Nemo

(*) <http://www.beic.it/it/articoli/manoscritti-giuridici-medievali>