Method for Backup whole system

MediaWiki-l.20.stefan817
Hi,
what is a good method to backup the whole system (DB, Images, Configs,
DB-Users, Wiki-Users...)?
dumpBackup.php does only an export of the wiki-content. What other data is
needed to backup the system and how can this be done?
Regards
Stefan

--
Analog-/ISDN-Nutzer sparen mit GMX SmartSurfer bis zu 70%!
Kostenlos downloaden: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/smartsurfer

Re: Method for Backup whole system

Rob Church
On 19/04/06, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> what is a good method to backup the whole system (DB, Images, Configs,
> DB-Users, Wiki-Users...)?

1. Backup the database; use something like mysqldump for this
2. Backup the entire wiki directory

Rob Church

Re: Method for Backup whole system

Trevor Richardson
The simplest backup process is to dump the whole database to SQL by using
this command-line script:

"Path to mysqldump.exe" -u"db username" -p"db user password" "database name"
> "Path to Name of filedump.sql"

To import the same file back again use this command-line script:

"Path to mysqldump.exe" -u"db username" -p"db user password" "database name"
< "path to name of dumped file"

Just drop the quotation marks but keep the < & >.

It can take some time depending on your db size but it dumps everything.
Remember this is just your data all config files should be backed up as per
normal system file backups.

Good Luck
Trevor

Re: Method for Backup whole system

Vedant Lath
i don't think it will backup the image files and LocalSettings.php

On 4/19/06, Trevor Richardson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The simplest backup process is to dump the whole database to SQL by using
> this command-line script:
>
> "Path to mysqldump.exe" -u"db username" -p"db user password" "database
> name"
> > "Path to Name of filedump.sql"
>
> To import the same file back again use this command-line script:
>
> "Path to mysqldump.exe" -u"db username" -p"db user password" "database
> name"
> < "path to name of dumped file"
>
> Just drop the quotation marks but keep the < & >.
>
> It can take some time depending on your db size but it dumps everything.
> Remember this is just your data all config files should be backed up as
> per
> normal system file backups.
>
> Good Luck
> Trevor

Arthur Guy-2
>I don't think it will backup the image files and LocalSettings.php

A database dump wont back up those files as the previous person pointed
out.

>On 4/19/06, Trevor Richardson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Remember this is just your data all config files should be backed up
>> as per normal system file backups.

Arthur

jdd

Re: Method for Backup whole system (done)

jdd
Trevor Richardson wrote (...) I started like you then
adapted :-)

so, first on the source computer

mysqldump -p wikidb > wikidb.sql

for me I nedded to do this as root. then option -p made
mysqladmin to call for the passwd (root mysql pass) (linux,
no "exe")

tar cvfz med_158.tgz mediawiki/

to have all the old files.

then on the target computer:

mysql -p and mysql opens it's console
use wikidb
source wikidb.sql

but one must start from a clean mysql (no wikidb before, or
delete it)

tar xfvz med_158.tgz

test: it should work. same mediawiki site but on the new
computer.

then overwrite the folder with the new 1.6.3 files,
in the mediawiki root folder cp AdminSettings.exampl to
AdminSettings.php and in it replace wikiuser by root and set
it passwd

run maintenance/update.php

and enjoy the new mediawiki 1.6.3

in fact I missed at first the Admi.. stuff

thanks all

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net

Re: Method for Backup whole system (done)

Tels
Moin,

On Monday 24 April 2006 12:20, jdd wrote:
> Trevor Richardson wrote (...) I started like you then
> adapted :-)
>
> so, first on the source computer
[snip]

Can you please write this up as some FAQ or article, on META or anywhere
else it can be found easily?

Thanx for figuring it out,

Tels

--
 Signed on Mon Apr 24 18:51:39 2006 with key 0x93B84C15.
 PGP key on http://bloodgate.com/tels.asc or per email.

 "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." -- Groucho Marx

Weird parser error; cutting out certain links completly.

Elliott F. Cable
My parser is doing major weirdness; I don't know why. This is sort of
urgent, as it's running on a production site.

The wikitext I export:
'''[[DND:Home|D&D]]''' • '''[[DDO:Home|DDO]]''' • '''[[LotRO:Home|
LotRO]]''' • '''[[AA:Home|AA]]''' • '''[[DFO:Home|DFO]]''' •
'''[[RFO:Home|RFO]]''' • '''[[Halo:Home|Halo]]''' • '''[[TR:Home|
TR]]''' • '''[[AoC:Home|AoC]]''' • '''[[TES:Home|TES]]''' •
'''[[SCI:Home|SCI]]''' • '''[[HP:Home|HP]]''' • ''[[SC:Home|SC]]'' •
''[[Diablo:Home|D3]]'' • ''[[WAR:Home|WAR]]'' • ''[[CO:Home|C:O]]''

All of those are set up as interwiki prefixes.
This is the HTML I get out:

en.ddowiki.ws/index.php?title=Home" class='extiw'
index.php?title=Home" class='extiw' title="lotro:Home">LotRO</a></b>
•  • <b><a href="http://en.dfowiki.ws/index.php?title=Home"
en.rfowiki.ws/index.php?title=Home" class='extiw'
index.php?title=Home" class='extiw' title="halo:Home">Halo</a></b> •
• <b><a href="http://en.aocwiki.ws/index.php?title=Home"
en.teswiki.ws/index.php?title=Home" class='extiw'
index.php?title=Home" class='extiw' title="sci:Home">SCI</a></b> •
<b><a href="/index.php?title=HP:Home&amp;action=edit" class="new"
title=SC:Home&amp;action=edit" class="new" title="SC:Home">SC</a></i>
• <i><a href="/index.php?title=Diablo:Home&amp;action=edit"
title=WAR:Home&amp;action=edit" class="new" title="WAR:Home">WAR</a></
i> • <i><a href="/index.php?title=CO:Home&amp;action=edit"
class="new" title="CO:Home">C:O</a></i>

Look between halo and AoC - the link is totally missing! I can't seem
to puzzle this out...
jdd

Tels wrote:

> Moin,
>
> On Monday 24 April 2006 12:20, jdd wrote:
>> Trevor Richardson wrote (...) I started like you then
>> adapted :-)
>>
>> so, first on the source computer
> [snip]
>
> Can you please write this up as some FAQ or article, on META or anywhere
> else it can be found easily?
>
> Thanx for figuring it out,

sure, when all is ended :-)
jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net

Re: Weird parser error; cutting out certain links completly.

Brion Vibber
Elliott F. Cable wrote:
> My parser is doing major weirdness; I don't know why. This is sort of
> urgent, as it's running on a production site.
[snip]
> '''[[TR:Home|TR]]'''

This is an interlanguage link to a page in Turkish.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Weird parser error; cutting out certain links completly.

Elliott F. Cable
I don't have a turkish interwiki link...

Elliott F. Cable wrote:
> I don't have a turkish interwiki link...

Yes you do. That's why it appears in "Other languages" on your sidebar. (Look
for it, you'll see it.)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

jdd

Re: Method for Backup whole system (done)

jdd

Re: Method for Backup whole system (done)

Rob Church
On 26/04/06, jdd <[hidden email]> wrote:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Upgrading_to_1.6#Upgrading_Mediawiki_and_Mysql_in_the_same_time

Thanks for clogging up the documentation. I'm going to move this to
another page.

Rob Church
jdd

Rob Church wrote:
> On 26/04/06, jdd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Upgrading_to_1.6#Upgrading_Mediawiki_and_Mysql_in_the_same_time
>
> Thanks for clogging up the documentation. I'm going to move this to
> another page.

if you want. It's not really different from what is on the
other sections of the page, just seen from a different point
of view :-)

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net

Re: Method for Backup whole system (done)

Rob Church
On 26/04/06, jdd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rob Church wrote:
> > On 26/04/06, jdd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Upgrading_to_1.6#Upgrading_Mediawiki_and_Mysql_in_the_same_time
> >
> > Thanks for clogging up the documentation. I'm going to move this to
> > another page.
>
> if you want. It's not really different from what is on the
> other sections of the page, just seen from a different point
> of view :-)

No, it's quite different, in fact. Most users who upgrade MediaWiki
shouldn't need to upgrade MySQL, and the advice (not instructions) on
doing that should be kept on a different page. The principle of good
documentation is to keep pages clean and relevant.

Rob Church
jdd

Rob Church wrote:

> On 26/04/06, jdd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Rob Church wrote:
>>> On 26/04/06, jdd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Upgrading_to_1.6#Upgrading_Mediawiki_and_Mysql_in_the_same_time
>>>
>>> Thanks for clogging up the documentation. I'm going to move this to
>>> another page.
>> if you want. It's not really different from what is on the
>> other sections of the page, just seen from a different point
>> of view :-)
>
> No, it's quite different, in fact. Most users who upgrade MediaWiki
> shouldn't need to upgrade MySQL, and the advice (not instructions) on
> doing that should be kept on a different page. The principle of good
> documentation is to keep pages clean and relevant.

as I said it's like you want.

I fact I didn't want to move mysql, but had to do so to use
mediawiki 1.6.3 and, for sure, I like your work and want to
keep in touch with it :-)

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net

On Wednesday 26 April 2006 09:52, Rob Church wrote:
> On 26/04/06, jdd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Upgrading_to_1.6#Upgrading_Mediawi
>ki_and_Mysql_in_the_same_time
>
> Thanks for clogging up the documentation. I'm going to move this to
> another page.

Rob, please don't be so harsh and rude!

jdd, thanx for writing it up! Even if it might be moved, it is still
better to have the documentation than to not have it. Now someone needs
to clean up the How_do_I_write_an_(extension/Specialpage)" docs :-D

Best wishes,

Tels

--
 Signed on Wed Apr 26 18:24:22 2006 with key 0x93B84C15.
 PGP key on http://bloodgate.com/tels.asc or per email.

 "Look, I'm about to buy me a double barreled sawed off shotgun and show
 Linus what I think about backspace and delete not working." -- some
 anonymous .signature

jdd

Tels wrote:

> Moin,
>
> On Wednesday 26 April 2006 09:52, Rob Church wrote:
>> On 26/04/06, jdd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Upgrading_to_1.6#Upgrading_Mediawi
>> ki_and_Mysql_in_the_same_time
>>
>> Thanks for clogging up the documentation. I'm going to move this to
>> another page.
>
> Rob, please don't be so harsh and rude!

don't worry. I know what writing a nice doc is hard. I work
hard now on cleaning the french fr.opensuse.org wiki and so
have little time to add to mediawiki (however I did in the
past and will do in the future)

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net

On 26/04/06, Tels <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Rob, please don't be so harsh and rude!

I'm terribly sorry.

> jdd, thanx for writing it up! Even if it might be moved, it is still
> better to have the documentation than to not have it. Now someone needs
> to clean up the How_do_I_write_an_(extension/Specialpage)" docs :-D

Yes, thanks for the skeleton documentation. Most of the stuff on Meta
ought to be moved (read: rewritten) to MediaWiki.org.

Rob Church