Microsoft kills Encarta

David Gerard-2
[spotted by Mathias Schindler]

http://encarta.msn.com/guide_page_FAQ/FAQ.html

Important Notice: MSN Encarta to be Discontinued
On October 31, 2009, MSN® Encarta® Web sites worldwide will be
discontinued, with the exception of Encarta Japan, which will be
discontinued on December 31, 2009. Additionally, Microsoft will cease
to sell Microsoft Student and Encarta Premium software products
worldwide by June 2009. We understand that Encarta users may have
questions regarding this announcement so we have prepared this list of
questions and answers below. Please keep reading if you would like
more information about these changes to Encarta.

- d.

Re: Microsoft kills Encarta

Biblio-2
Another one bites the dust.

bibliomaniac15

Re: Microsoft kills Encarta

Carcharoth
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 8:39 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [spotted by Mathias Schindler]
>

> http://encarta.msn.com/guide_page_FAQ/FAQ.html
>
> Important Notice: MSN Encarta to be Discontinued
> On October 31, 2009, MSN® Encarta® Web sites worldwide will be
> discontinued, with the exception of Encarta Japan, which will be
> discontinued on December 31, 2009. Additionally, Microsoft will cease
> to sell Microsoft Student and Encarta Premium software products
> worldwide by June 2009. We understand that Encarta users may have
> questions regarding this announcement so we have prepared this list of
> questions and answers below. Please keep reading if you would like
> more information about these changes to Encarta.

"Encarta has been a popular product around the world for many years.
However, the category of traditional encyclopedias and reference
material has changed. People today seek and consume information in
considerably different ways than in years past."

I wonder what different ways they could be talking about? :-)

"we believe that we can use what we’ve learned and assets we’ve
accrued with offerings like Encarta to develop future technology
solutions"

So they might try making a comeback in another form?

I liked Encarta - it was the first real encyclopedia I used. So I feel
a bit torn here.

Carcharoth

Re: Microsoft kills Encarta

Biblio-2
Same here. This and the World Book Encyclopedia 2001 CD that I still have. I did like taking the quizzes Encarta had on their site.

bibliomaniac15

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 8:39 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [spotted by Mathias Schindler]
>

> http://encarta.msn.com/guide_page_FAQ/FAQ.html
>
> Important Notice: MSN Encarta to be Discontinued
> On October 31, 2009, MSN® Encarta® Web sites worldwide will be
> discontinued, with the exception of Encarta Japan, which will be
> discontinued on December 31, 2009. Additionally, Microsoft will cease
> to sell Microsoft Student and Encarta Premium software products
> worldwide by June 2009. We understand that Encarta users may have
> questions regarding this announcement so we have prepared this list of
> questions and answers below. Please keep reading if you would like
> more information about these changes to Encarta.

"Encarta has been a popular product around the world for many years.
However, the category of traditional encyclopedias and reference
material has changed. People today seek and consume information in
considerably different ways than in years past."

I wonder what different ways they could be talking about? :-)

"we believe that we can use what we’ve learned and assets we’ve
accrued with offerings like Encarta to develop future technology
solutions"

So they might try making a comeback in another form?

I liked Encarta - it was the first real encyclopedia I used. So I feel
a bit torn here.

Carcharoth

Re: Microsoft kills Encarta

Doc glasgow
You realise, someday the announcement will read:

"Wikipedia has been a popular product around the world for many years.
However, the category of traditional wiki encyclopedias and reference
material has changed. People today seek and consume information in
considerably different ways than in years past."

Civilisation proceeds obsolescence by obsolescence....

Re: Microsoft kills Encarta

Biblio-2
Indeed it will, and hopefully that wiki will have worked out the kinks we haven't managed to fix.

bibliomaniac15

Re: Microsoft kills Encarta

Carcharoth
Absolutely. And the model that replaces Wikipedia will also needs
critics as well.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:45 PM, doc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You realise, someday the announcement will read:
>
> "Wikipedia has been a popular product around the world for many years.
> However, the category of traditional wiki encyclopedias and reference
> material has changed. People today seek and consume information in
> considerably different ways than in years past."
>
> Civilisation proceeds obsolescence by obsolescence....

Re: Microsoft kills Encarta

Doc glasgow
And then someone will come up with a better way of delivering
information than a wiki...

Scientia Potentia est wrote:

> Indeed it will, and hopefully that wiki will have worked out the kinks we haven't managed to fix.
>
> bibliomaniac15

Ad infinitum...you have to love it.

bibliomaniac15

And then someone will come up with a better way of delivering
information than a wiki...

Scientia Potentia est wrote:
> Indeed it will, and hopefully that wiki will have worked out the kinks we
haven't managed to fix.

> bibliomaniac15

Turtles all the way up (or is that down?)

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:04 AM, Scientia Potentia est
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ad infinitum...you have to love it.
>
> bibliomaniac15

geni
2009/3/30 doc <[hidden email]>:
> You realise, someday the announcement will read:
>
> "Wikipedia has been a popular product around the world for many years.
> However, the category of traditional wiki encyclopedias and reference
> material has changed. People today seek and consume information in
> considerably different ways than in years past."
>
> Civilisation proceeds obsolescence by obsolescence....

That would require whatever the replacement is to turn up before the
cost of hosting wikipedia becomes trivial and software agents that can
write the thing without human involvement have become widespread.

In fact if I had to put a guess on what will replace wikipedia is will
be made to order articles generated on the fly from a wide range of
sources by software.

--
geni

Re: Microsoft kills Encarta

Ian Woollard
On 30/03/2009, doc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> And then someone will come up with a better way of delivering
> information than a wiki...

Probably, but I think people, if they still live, will still be
talking about the wikipedia in a thousand years, like they still talk
about the Library of Alexandria.

--
-Ian Woollard

We live in an imperfectly imperfect world. Life in a perfectly
imperfect world would be *much* better. Life in an imperfectly perfect
world would be pretty ghastly though.

Re: Microsoft kills Encarta

Carcharoth
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:15 AM, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2009/3/30 doc <[hidden email]>:
>> You realise, someday the announcement will read:
>>
>> "Wikipedia has been a popular product around the world for many years.
>> However, the category of traditional wiki encyclopedias and reference
>> material has changed. People today seek and consume information in
>> considerably different ways than in years past."
>>
>> Civilisation proceeds obsolescence by obsolescence....
>
> That would require whatever the replacement is to turn up before the
> cost of hosting wikipedia becomes trivial and software agents that can
> write the thing without human involvement have become widespread.
>
> In fact if I had to put a guess on what will replace wikipedia is will
> be made to order articles generated on the fly from a wide range of
> sources by software.

Hmm. Can you get $$$ from that?

<me dreams about making fortune from this>

Some Wikipedia mirrors seem to be trying to do this already.

Carcharoth

Re: Microsoft kills Encarta

Carcharoth
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:22 AM, Carcharoth
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:15 AM, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:

<snip>

>> In fact if I had to put a guess on what will replace wikipedia is will
>> be made to order articles generated on the fly from a wide range of
>> sources by software.
>
> Hmm. Can you get $$$ from that?
>
> <me dreams about making fortune from this>
>
> Some Wikipedia mirrors seem to be trying to do this already.

To clarify: I mean those sites that offer a range of articles on a topic.

Content aggregators, including Wikipedia articles and others (often better).

Answers.com is an example.

http://www.answers.com/Pope%20John%20Paul%20II

Carcharoth

Re: Microsoft kills Encarta

Nathan Awrich
My money is on a Hitchhiker's Guide. Has the advantage of being extremely
wide in coverage,  handheld, and pretty damn funny.

Nathan

Re: Microsoft kills Encarta

Fred Bauder-2
> On 30/03/2009, doc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> And then someone will come up with a better way of delivering
>> information than a wiki...
>
> Probably, but I think people, if they still live, will still be
> talking about the wikipedia in a thousand years, like they still talk
> about the Library of Alexandria.
>
> --
> -Ian Woollard

I've always compared it to the Platonic Academy as a milestone in
intellectual history. Quite a revolution from Lexus-Nexus...

Fred Bauder

Re: Microsoft kills Encarta

WJhonson
I think you hit the nail on one $$$-making venture.

"Child-safe" Wikipedia.

Parents or schools pay for a child-safe version (G rated) for
elementary school, and maybe PG-rated for secondary school.

Who knows maybe even religious colleges would pay for an R-rated
version ?

Will "I thought of it first" Johnson

Re: Microsoft kills Encarta

geni
2009/3/31 Carcharoth <[hidden email]>:
> Hmm. Can you get $$$ from that?
>
> <me dreams about making fortune from this>

The technology isn't there yet and when it is you will likely hit the
problem that rather a lot of other people will also be able to do it.

> Some Wikipedia mirrors seem to be trying to do this already.

Not in the way I meant.

--
geni

Re: Microsoft kills Encarta

Soxred93@gmail.com
I just took one of those quizzes. I think a 1/5 is bad, right?

X!

On Mar 30, 2009, at 6:36 PM [Mar 30, 2009 ], Scientia Potentia est
wrote:

> Same here. This and the World Book Encyclopedia 2001 CD that I
> still have. I did like taking the quizzes Encarta had on their site.
>
> bibliomaniac15

Re: Microsoft kills Encarta

Kevin Wong-5
Fear the power of freedom

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 12:39 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [spotted by Mathias Schindler]
>

> http://encarta.msn.com/guide_page_FAQ/FAQ.html
>
> Important Notice: MSN Encarta to be Discontinued
> On October 31, 2009, MSN® Encarta® Web sites worldwide will be
> discontinued, with the exception of Encarta Japan, which will be
> discontinued on December 31, 2009. Additionally, Microsoft will cease
> to sell Microsoft Student and Encarta Premium software products
> worldwide by June 2009. We understand that Encarta users may have
> questions regarding this announcement so we have prepared this list of
> questions and answers below. Please keep reading if you would like
> more information about these changes to Encarta.
>

> - d.

Whether you can or can't, any way you are correct. - Henry Ford