Migration from Windows to Linux

Emanuele D'Arrigo
Hi everybody,

a SysAdmin in my company has attempted to migrate our Mediawiki
installation from a Windows server to a Linux one, but discrepancies
are arising between the contents of the two.

Specifically, while many pages work just fine, hinting to a mostly working
installation, but many other pages result into blank browsers, no matter
if they should have been carried over as normal by the MySQL-dump that
has been used to transfer the DB.

The only difference I can think of between the failing pages and those
that work is that the former had been originally generated via XML imports
and transclude subpages. (*)

Is this something that could represent a problem? And is there a page
on mediawiki.org that I could recommend to our SysAdmin to go through?

Thank you in advance.

Manu

(*) The rationale behind this was to use the XML import function
to procedurally generate the subpages while the users retain the
capability to edit the bits of the actual page that do not rely on
transclusion of the subpages.

Re: Migration from Windows to Linux

Emanuele D'Arrigo
Further on my previous email on this subject:

through Special:Export I have verified that the content
of the Windows and Linux installation is, as far as I can
see, identical for pages that fail on Linux. I can't even
begin to fathom where the problem might be.

Each individual element contributing to any given
non-working page seems to work fine in other pages.
I.e., subpages work, templates work, parser functions
work, string functions work.

Invisible characters pages? Might be, as stated here:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Backing_up_a_wiki#Character_set

I asked the SysAdmin to verify if this problem applies, but
if it doesn't I'm running out of ammo.

Also is this the right syntax to enable logging?
$wgDebugLogFile = "{$IP}/debugLogFile.txt";

Somehow it worked on Windows but not on Linux.

Manu

Re: Migration from Windows to Linux

Rob Church
On 31/10/2007, Emanuele D'Arrigo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Also is this the right syntax to enable logging?
> $wgDebugLogFile = "{$IP}/debugLogFile.txt";
>
> Somehow it worked on Windows but not on Linux.

You'll need to touch the file (to create it) and ensure that whatever
user Apache is running under has permission to write to it. Under
Windows, Apache usually runs as a service with Local System
privileges, so such things don't generally crop up with the default
setup.

Rob Church

On Oct 31, 2007 5:40 PM, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You'll need to touch the file (to create it) and ensure that whatever
> user Apache is running under has permission to write to it. Under
> Windows, Apache usually runs as a service with Local System
> privileges, so such things don't generally crop up with the default
> setup.

Thank you Rob, this did work.

For you and everybody else who might be able to help, here is the
log of one page that returns a blank page:

Start request
GET /index.php?title=Template:GenericElement
Host: wiki.vtr.co.uk
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Keep-Alive: 300
Connection: keep-alive
Cookie: wikidb_session=lslbfq52ql2osp73sqmhe4i1h4; wikidbUserID=7;
wikidbUserName=Manu.d

Main cache: FakeMemCachedClient
Message cache: MediaWikiBagOStuff
Parser cache: MediaWikiBagOStuff
Unstubbing $wgMessageCache on call of $wgMessageCache->addMessages from wfCite
Unstubbing $wgParser on call of $wgParser->setHook from Cite::setHooks
Unstubbing $wgContLang on call of $wgContLang->getMagic from MagicWord::load
Unstubbing $wgOut on call of $wgOut->addScript from TreeView::addJS
Unstubbing $wgLang on call of $wgLang->getCode from smwfInitMessages
Unstubbing $wgUser on call of $wgUser->getOption from StubUserLang::_newObject
Cache miss for user 7
Unstubbing $wgLoadBalancer on call of $wgLoadBalancer->getConnection
from wfGetDB
Logged in from session
Fully initialised
Language::loadLocalisation(): got localisation for en from source
OutputPage::checkLastModified: USER DISABLED CACHE
Article::tryFileCache(): not cacheable
Article::view using parser cache: yes
Trying parser cache wikidb:pcache:idhash:145-0!1!0!!en!2
Found.
MessageCache::load(): got from global cache

Re: Migration from Windows to Linux

Rob Church
On 31/10/2007, Emanuele D'Arrigo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For you and everybody else who might be able to help, here is the
> log of one page that returns a blank page:

Completely blank page (blank source)?

Check the PHP error log to see what's going on, since a completely
blank page usually implies a fatal error, and this often won't be
printed to the screen (and should never be, in a production
environment). MediaWiki's abrupt log halt would also support this
theory.

Also worth checking is the amount of memory allocated to PHP, i.e. the
memory_limit in PHP.ini, since if this is significantly lower on the
new box, that could indicate the pages are simply too large to process
under that configuration. The parser is a beast, and needs quite a bit
of room when dealing with a large, fancy page.

Rob Church

Re: Migration from Windows to Linux

John W Foster
On Wednesday 31 October 2007 12:35, Emanuele D'Arrigo wrote:

> Further on my previous email on this subject:
>
> through Special:Export I have verified that the content
> of the Windows and Linux installation is, as far as I can
> see, identical for pages that fail on Linux. I can't even
> begin to fathom where the problem might be.
>
> Each individual element contributing to any given
> non-working page seems to work fine in other pages.
> I.e., subpages work, templates work, parser functions
> work, string functions work.
>
> Invisible characters pages? Might be, as stated here:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Backing_up_a_wiki#Character_set
>
> I asked the SysAdmin to verify if this problem applies, but
> if it doesn't I'm running out of ammo.
>
> Also is this the right syntax to enable logging?
> $wgDebugLogFile = "{$IP}/debugLogFile.txt";
just a guess but you may need to check the $IP declaration in
LocalSettings.php if you simply dumped the wikidb from windows to linux. The
actual directory strings will be different. I noticed this on some extensions
that I wanted to use that were actually developed on a windows machine. You
may have directory trouble on the pages themselves as well.

> Somehow it worked on Windows but not on Linux.
>
> Manu

John W. Foster

Re: Migration from Windows to Linux

Mediawiki-4
We had some problems with migrating to Linux as well.

In the end we found that the trouble was caused by an ftp-program that
converted anything (files and directories) into lowercase.

Due to the fact that mediawiki is case sensitive that ended in blank pages
as well. You might have a look.

Kind regards

Albert Cremer

"Emanuele D'Arrigo" <[hidden email]> schrieb
im Newsbeitrag
news:[hidden email]...