Minimum donations?

John Reaves
The donation reporting bot in #wikimedia-donations reported a rather
disturbing donation a few minutes ago: [00:42] <Donations> jason birring
LEGALIZE MARIJUANA ($0) .  Perhaps we should set a minimum donation?

--John Reaves

Re: Minimum donations?

Ray Saintonge
John Reaves wrote:
> The donation reporting bot in #wikimedia-donations reported a rather
> disturbing donation a few minutes ago: [00:42] <Donations> jason birring
> LEGALIZE MARIJUANA ($0) .  Perhaps we should set a minimum donation?
Sounds like the guy's playing a joke.  Sometimes the preventive measures
are just not worth the effort unles the problem is a frequent one.

Ec

Re: Minimum donations?

Andrew Gray
On 25/10/2007, John Reaves <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The donation reporting bot in #wikimedia-donations reported a rather
> disturbing donation a few minutes ago: [00:42] <Donations> jason birring
> LEGALIZE MARIJUANA ($0) .  Perhaps we should set a minimum donation?

Causes no harm, really - the silly comments won't be visible to anyone
not digging through the donation log, and if they do that they'll be
aware enough that they're personal comments.

I suspect it's someone figuring that our sitenotice is updated live
rather than running off preselected comments, and hoping they can get
a message in there... and if so, let's not tell him and see if he
tries again with more money ;-)

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: Minimum donations?

Sue Gardner-2
Andrew Gray wrote:

> On 25/10/2007, John Reaves <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The donation reporting bot in #wikimedia-donations reported a rather
>> disturbing donation a few minutes ago: [00:42] <Donations> jason birring
>> LEGALIZE MARIJUANA ($0) .  Perhaps we should set a minimum donation?
>>

> Causes no harm, really - the silly comments won't be visible to anyone
> not digging through the donation log, and if they do that they'll be
> aware enough that they're personal comments.
>
> I suspect it's someone figuring that our sitenotice is updated live
> rather than running off preselected comments, and hoping they can get
> a message in there... and if so, let's not tell him and see if he
> tries again with more money ;-)

Yes, exactly :-)

This is one of several reasons the comments aren't updated live in the
sitenotice.

--

Your continued donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia
Foundation today: http://donate.wikimedia.org